TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
super_tigris

Promo: The Learning Process

“There’s a reason Bruce Blank chose me,” proudly exclaims a Michigan accent as a shaking camcorder videotapes his movements inside an airport.

In the background the standout figure of Bruce Blank bends over slowly, picking up a sack-like suitcase, clearly of lesser quality than a Canal Street knockoff courtesy of New York’s finest. He jumbles two ragged, thick, nylon straps together in his right hand and then goes to another suitcase, grappling with it as he slowly brings his body back to full height.

“Yeah, I’ve had problems in the past. I’ve lost the matches that counted, and I’ve failed on all accounts to capitalize on opportunities that many rookies like me don’t have.” ‘Iron’ Mike Cross scratches the grizzly bear like remnants of a sloppy, airport bathroom shave. He bends down, camera following his movement as he slings a black strap over his shoulder, lifting his heavy baggage up and onto his shoulders. “But I’ve overcome that part,” reflects a now innocent sounding voice, “I’ve overcome my toughest battles. I defeated a tough upbringing…in a tough family…in a tough city, a city that is unrelenting.”

After the former Tag Team and Cruiserweight Champion has finished his brief reflection of his past battles he slowly follows Bruce towards the exit. The camera follows him like a fan in first person.

“I’ve given up hope,” once again the Michigan in Mike stands out in a sea voices, but only slightly, “I’ve rediscovered faith. I’ve found addiction, I’ve defeated addiction.”

A group of people separate the two wrestlers, the congested crowd causing a slight stand-still in the middle of the airport baggage claim. Waiting, Mike turns to the camera.

“Bruce picked me because I’m resilient.” At the thought of himself as something positive, he smirks. “This industry thrives on survival, and crashing and burning is an inevitable experience. It’s something I’m very familiar with right now.”

An apparent amount of impatience seems to be forming inside the former Suicide Machine, and after a moment of foot tapping, he spreads the crowd with his elbow, busting through a wall of people. “You have to take your losses, you have to taste defeat. And for me, I seem to be trapped in one phase – loss. I’ve lost three consecutive matches now, with no end in sight.”

Finally, Mike reclaims Bruce in his field of vision. The large crowd makes the walk seem more and more like a hike as he struggles to keep up, struggling to hold onto his luggage. Bruce manages to find the exit, entering the small, triangle slot inside a circular glass door. Several seconds later, Mike has managed his way into position to see Bruce attempting to track down a taxi or transport bus. Waiting to exit the confines of the airport, Mike turns his attention back to the camera.

“But this is becoming more of a learning process,” exhales the tired wrestler with a slight hint of optimism, “With every loss comes the fading marks of weakness. Each loss weathers my weaknesses. Each week I learn from the father of Ultra Violence, and a loss to Jimmy – while tough – comes expected. We knew after the session the prior week with Nemesis that there was some work to be done. The loss to Jimmy solidified that. But one thing’s for sure – I was picked for a reason, and I will take shape. I’m bigger, I’m in the best shape of my life, and I’ve got the physical demands to be one of the best. Time is now on my side, and SWF is on notice – violence is and forever will be the answer.”

With that concluding comment, ‘Iron’ Mike Cross heads for the circular glass door, making his way through it and hopping in the back of a dingy looking car. The car screeches off suddenly and the film fades.

Maybe I'm wrong, but is this the first time one of your promos has been one where the character addresses the situation? Normally they're all mini anecdotes.

This promo demonstrates a marked increase in quality in my opinion. The language is crisper and simpler, and while Cross himself still uses slightly odd phrasings like "Each loss weathers my weaknesses" there is definition between character and description.

Also, it's just easier to read because it's less "preachy". Cross promos are normally doom-laden, metaphor-ridden and foreboding, which is fine, but need to be done really well to avoid cliches. This one comes across more as "Hey, remember me? I've had losses, but I'm a tough bastard and you'll be seeing more of me, so get fucking ready!" which suits the character and his situation better in my opinion.

I like that fact that you've expressed your motivation. Like Toxx said the language Cross uses is a little much, but I can still enjoy the promo for what it is. Character Direction. I get this really gritty indy promo vibe from it which works well for your particular character.

Sign in to follow this