TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

PS2 Games.

Dragon Quest 8 (My favorite game of the last 5 years. I haven't played a RPG with this much charm since Chrono Trigger. Or this much humor since Earthbound. Beautiful orchestrated music score. Giant immesive 3-D world. It's an absolute must buy for any RPG fan)

Final Fantasy X (Another must buy)

Some other great games:

Shadow of the Colossus

Resident Evil 4

God of War

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I forgot Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Those games are magic. (Ico's the better of the two, but SotC is really cool to show off)

I got Ico for like $10 on eBay as well.

Oh and I'm not going to recommend Guitar Hero for the simple fact that I've never actually played it except for a ouple of minutes at Best Buy when it first came out. A few extra bucks and I'll get it. Hopefully I'll be getting decent at just as the sequel gets out.

Since you said you were looking for RPGs, I'd recommend the Shin Megami Tensei games on the system (Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga). They mix turn-based random encounters with pokemon-esque devil collecting in a modern setting and it's so offbeat from your typical RPG that I think you might enjoy it.

Don't listen to Andrew about Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. And don't listen to Bobby Peru about picking up the whole R&C series - Deadlocked is mediocre, at best.

Do listen to Andrew about ZotE: The 2nd Runner, though, which is one of the most criminally underrated games to come out in a long while.

Finally, I also didn't see Twisted Metal Black mentioned anywhere, so I would recommend it to you as well, just for some mindless fun.

ZOE:2 is also one of the prettiest games ever released, IMO. The zero effect, or whatever it's called, is so cool.

And I forgot there was some sort of arena combat R & C. I was just referring to the 1st 3.

Guest Princess Leena

So, I should have Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 by morning.

Was this game any good. This is one of the main reasons I wanted a PS2, because all XBox wrestling games are horrible.

So, I should have Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 by morning.

Was this game any good. This is one of the main reasons I wanted a PS2, because all XBox wrestling games are horrible.

All those recommendations, and you get *that* game?

I guess it's not good, but getting it after those xbox games is like being a homeless man who was living off of rat meat getting a double cheeseburger from McDonald's. It's hardly *good* but it's still a step up.

"Don't listen to Andrew about Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. And don't listen to Bobby Peru about picking up the whole R&C series - Deadlocked is mediocre, at best."

I never said it wasn't good. I said I didn't like it much, although I suppose I should have elaborated.

Ratchet and Clank 1 and 2 are platforming sweetness, with fun missions and lots of great side missions that you actually wanna go out and complete.

In comparison, UYA is more like balls-to-the-wall action. Most folks I know who like the series seem to feel Going Commando is the best.

However, based on the Deadlocked demo I played, I don't really like that game.

It's still a more worthwhile spinoff than Jak X.

I still hear "CRUSH KILL DESTROY" in my head sometimes, thanks to that damn game and it's damn unskippable soundtrack. Although it did have Dillinger Escape Plan.

Also, Ratchet and Clank Going Commando is really fun. And I don't normally play platforming games.

you might want to wait for sd vs raw 07 since its coming out soon, as 06 still is going for 39 bucks in most places

I just got GTA: LCS so thats a choice as well, but not when SA and VC are the same price

but she wants ps2 exclusive games. I dont know cuz I have mostly wrestling and sports games, plus the gta games and gran turismo 3, simpsons hit and run

dont get backyard wrestling 1 or 2 at any cost

dont get backyard wrestling 1 or 2 at any cost

Leena said she's frugal, not stupid.

Touche, but then again what does that make me who bought NYW2 for 14 bucks last year? :D

Guest Agent of Oblivion

So I purchased that Guitar Hero recently, and I've found that some of the songs on there are harder to play than they are on an actual guitar.

So I purchased that Guitar Hero recently, and I've found that some of the songs on there are harder to play than they are on an actual guitar.

Yeah, "Bark at the Moon" and "Texas Flood" look like motherfuckers to play. Check out a video of "Trippolette" on Expert difficulty. THAT looks pretty much impossible.

Yeah, no shit.... I had to stop on Medium becase I was getting so frustrated.

By the way, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2 though if you had to make a choice, go with 2 for the item creation..

Even though it doesn't look that great, Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Something just seems off about it (Guitar Hero).

I kind of find it easier on the harder levels with a couple songs. For instance, on Iron Man, a song I know backwards and forwards, I biffed a couple times on Medium, but am almost note-perfect on Expert.

Texas Floods isn't toooo bad (haven't hit the expert level there yet)

Really though, The Ramones track on the first level is stupid easy to play, but they make it way way harder on the game at higher difficulties. I find it kind of awkward in that I pick very upstroke-heavy on guitar, and the controller doesn't really lend itself to that.

Bard's Tale is charming and funny from what I've played but I haven't played enough to really vouch for gameplay.

If you take out the humor and great voice acting (narration and summons could be their own category), you basically have your typical RPG. Talk to this townsperson, fight this creature, buy new armor/weaponry... it makes fun of the usual cliches, whilst simultaneously falling into them.

I still highly recommend. The narrator hating you leads to comedy gold.

From there, you can move on to sequels like X-2, Disgaea 2 (or the other Nippon Ichi SRPGs), or Shadow Hearts 3.

Yeah, if playng with cutesy outfits and impossible battles is your thing. ...Okay, that sounds harsh. I'll admit the game has some good points to it. The voice acting is great and the graphics are even better than FFX's. Payne is the best character ever. At least in the FF series... but let's not get into *that* debate. What killed the game for me was its percentage completion, and in order to get 100%, some things were just impossible to do (I forget what they are now...) What was the point?

Blitzball kick's Sphere Break's ass any day.

Guest Princess Leena

I played FFX-2. The 100% thing killed me too. It was really tedious trying to get that.

The arguments between the Bard and the narrator are gold.

X-2 irritated the shit out of me, to be honest. I loved X and REALLY tried to like X-2, but I just couldn't finish it. I think I got about 2/3rds of the way through and I just can't bring myself to go back to it. Maybe after I finish .hack. I doubt it though.

Payne's good, but Auron kicked ass in X. Wanted to get Kingdom Hearts 2 just to see Auron's character again.