TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Mini-review:

Soulcalbiur Legends is a bit repetitive, but fun up until the ending:

NOTHING HAPPENS. NOTHING AT ALL. WE LEARN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

A pretty decent run of Virtual Console games this week.

Blades of Steel for the NES (500 points)

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble for the SNES (800 points)

Rolling Thunder 2 for Genesis (800 points)

DKC3 is, in my opinion, when Rare started to go batshit with their collection fetish, and it's the one I'd be least likely to play again.

Guest Smues

Blades of Steel was really popular at my elementary school, but ONLY because of the fights. No one gave a shit about the hockey, they'd just play and try to get into as many fights as possible.

So, ChrisM and I did a private VC gift exchange between us, and I got Neutopia 2.

I heard the first game was a decent little Zelda knockoff, but that this one is better. It's like, wow, if there was a Zelda in the overhead style between Zelda 1 and LTTP, it would be like this. It's really, really blatant.

However, it's still *really good*, so it works.

So you can buy old game with points?

What points are we talking about? Sorry, I am a wii-newbie, I just opened it on Christmas.....it has been a blast so far....the family loves it.

I get paid tomorrow, so this weekend I am getting a wireless router so I can get the wii online.

So you can buy old game with points?

What points are we talking about? Sorry, I am a wii-newbie, I just opened it on Christmas.....it has been a blast so far....the family loves it.

I get paid tomorrow, so this weekend I am getting a wireless router so I can get the wii online.

You can buy games from the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbografx-16, Turbo CD, and Neo Geo. Rather than us explain it in detail, just go to the Wii Shop channel after you get your Wii online and up to date with the latest firmware. It's self-explanatory, and it's a lot of fun to browse. But the upshot is, you buy points with Visa or Mastercard, and spend points on games. Games show up as additional channels in your channel list. Also, new channels for free are available (Votes Channel, Check Mii Out Channel, The Metroid Prime channel which I guess is kind of irrelevant now)

If you have any issues connecting your Wii, just ask.

If you have any issues connecting your Wii, just ask.

I have a question, it is more about connecting multi-consoles.

So, when I get the wireless router, I am plugging the PS3 into it, and running the Wii wirelessly, so I know there is a process/installation to be done for a wireless connection, but for the PS3, since I am plugging an ethernet cable, is it automatic, just like it is now when I plug it into my DSL modem, or is there an installation process for wired connections too?

A wired connection, generally, is automatic. Basically, the PS3 asks the network, "Am I online?" Network says "Yeah,", PS3 says "OK, Cool."

The way I do my connections, there is an installation process, but only because I am DEAD FUCKING SERIOUS about my network.

Wireless, IN MOST CASES, can be automatic.

Here's how it works on the Wii:

You go to your Internet settings, and select New Connection; Wireless Connection.

Wii will then browse for available access points. Select yours, and connect. Wii will attempt to connect.

At that point, everything should be hunky dory.

As for myself, I run using static IP's, so I have to do some ka-jiggering with the settings. However, that's my choice in networking. You should be fine "out of the box."

Set the channel of your wireless router to 1 or 11 for best effect.

P.S. I do more than just Static IP's, so no smart aleck comments about how I think I'm hardcore because I run static IP's.

A wired connection, generally, is automatic. Basically, the PS3 asks the network, "Am I online?" Network says "Yeah,", PS3 says "OK, Cool."

The way I do my connections, there is an installation process, but only because I am DEAD FUCKING SERIOUS about my network.

Wireless, IN MOST CASES, can be automatic.

Here's how it works on the Wii:

You go to your Internet settings, and select New Connection; Wireless Connection.

Wii will then browse for available access points. Select yours, and connect. Wii will attempt to connect.

At that point, everything should be hunky dory.

As for myself, I run using static IP's, so I have to do some ka-jiggering with the settings. However, that's my choice in networking. You should be fine "out of the box."

Set the channel of your wireless router to 1 or 11 for best effect.

P.S. I do more than just Static IP's, so no smart aleck comments about how I think I'm hardcore because I run static IP's.

Is it possible for you to recommend me a particular wireless router? I get paid tomorrow, so I am going to Frys.

Is this one good for what I need? http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4703979#detailed

There's no point in buying the GL model.

The GL model is designed for enthusiasts who like to use and develop their own firmware.

I recommend the WRT54G, which should be about $10-$20 less.

Using custom firmware is only useful if you know WHY you need to use custom firmware.

Alright Thoth, here's a Wii connection question. My cousins spent the holidays here and got a Wii for Christmas. Awesome. Problem: their Wii would not connect to our wireless internet at all, and kept getting the famous 52030 error. Weird thing is, my Wii connects with no problem - but it did take a while at first which I still find no explanation for. We're set to channel 11 here so I am out of ideas completely. Could there actually be something wrong with their connecterthinger?

Cuz it'll sure suck for them since they're on their way back to Mexico =X!

Did anyone pick up Medal of Honor Heroes 2 back in November? I've been seeing it around for about $10 cheaper than it normally is lately and was wondering if anyone here plays it still or at all...?

I gave it to my brother for xmas, and he's been playing online for ... forever since he got it. The controls really ARE better than MP3, it's unbelievable!

There's no point in buying the GL model.

The GL model is designed for enthusiasts who like to use and develop their own firmware.

I recommend the WRT54G, which should be about $10-$20 less.

Using custom firmware is only useful if you know WHY you need to use custom firmware.

So this one then......?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3519514;j...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Alright Thoth, here's a Wii connection question. My cousins spent the holidays here and got a Wii for Christmas. Awesome. Problem: their Wii would not connect to our wireless internet at all, and kept getting the famous 52030 error. Weird thing is, my Wii connects with no problem - but it did take a while at first which I still find no explanation for. We're set to channel 11 here so I am out of ideas completely. Could there actually be something wrong with their connecterthinger?

Cuz it'll sure suck for them since they're on their way back to Mexico =X!

I'd advise you to check your DHCP settings... and maybe some ports need to be forwarded. It's possible the router is really confused about which Wii to send the traffic to.

That one exactly, Mike.

I'll get right on the DCHP settings. However I should have mentioned that there was only one Wii operating at a time when trying to connect online, not both at the same time. So weird!

I'll get right on the DCHP settings. However I should have mentioned that there was only one Wii operating at a time when trying to connect online, not both at the same time. So weird!

Crap. Seriously? I hate to say this, but from my distance, I have no idea. I'd have to look at it.