TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

The installation steps for connecting my PS2 (slim) up for online play.

-Plug in ethernet cable.

-Turn the system on.

-Enter some simple settings into a menu.

-BOOM!

Wireless internet is kind of nice. You know, when it works. However, with the DS, you either had the option of A) buying a new router if you didn't have one, or B) running a wi-fi connector that is only supported by an extremely shitty operating system. Seriously, no OSX or Win 2000 support? Give me a damn break, Nintendo. You love Apple so damn much, why not?

And now the 3rd option--buy an *ACCESSORY* for the *PRIVILEGE* of using a wired connection. What the hell? Even Apple hasn't sunk that low.

That's easily my biggest disappointment with the Wii. Doesn't help that I hate wireless internet anyway.

I suggest sending some product feedback like I did a while back:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

How about a USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter? Can I use one of those to easily get the Wii online?

Dear jerks,

None of you have put your Wii console number into the Wii number thread. If this is because of all your Internet troubles, then oh well. Otherwise, put in your numbers!

the NES hit the US in 1985...the SNES hit the US in 1991 and I know for a fact they still made NES games several years into the SNES run. Maybe not 10 years, but close.

A video game company would be stupid not to continue doing things with the previous console for at least a couple of years before flat out discontinuing it.

Guest OSIcon

I don't understand why Nintendo just didn't include an ethernet port in the Wii. I am not that tech savy, but I can't see how including one would significantly increase the production costs. It made sense to have the DS use Wifi because it is a handheld system. Not so much for the Wii. Seems like something that should have been a no-brainer.

With that said, I haven't had any problems getting online with the Wii but that's because I already use a wireless router. Plus I had it set up for the DS so all I had to do was turn the system on and do a few quick connection set up things.

Guest Princess Leena
TEN YEARS? Sony expects the PS3 to last TEN YEARS!? Oh come on.

Well, look at the PS1. Released in '95 in the US, and sports titles were being made for it at least until '04. And I could definitely see some PS2 titles going on a few more years since many aren't going to pay the hefty PS3 price tag.

Guest Princess Leena
So, what other games do you recommend (other than Zelda, which I'm not that interested in)?

The only other sports title I see out now is Madden, do the controls work well for that game?

You hike the ball by moving the remote up and at least for now it only gives you EARLY SNAP warnings if you do it too soon..itd be a bitch if they penalized you for a false start every time.

Running is all done by the stick on the nunchuck, Juke by moving the nunchuck (left or right), stiff arm by moving the remote (left or right). Passing is pretty simple, just flick the remote u, slow is a lob pass and faster is a bullet pass. Receivers selected with the d-pad. To have catch the ball/intercept on defense you have to raise both the remote and the nunchuck up at the same time. Audibles are called by pointing at the QB and pressing A (which stops the clock for some reason).

Kicking is kinda hard, as you have to start the remote pointed down and flick it up and the speed you move it up gives you the power, but if you twist the remote even slightly it puts slice into the kick either way you twisted the remote.

The most rediculous control though is for a fair catch, where you have to wave the remote up in the air left to right to left to righ like you were actually signalling for a fair catch. Ive not been able to do that in game despite mastering it in the Learn Madden portion and a little less bad in Zelda..

All in all like I said, offense is easy to figure out but for some reason defensive control isn't as good.

as a side note, lots of people are complaining that the nunchuck isn't as responsive with motion controls...I noticed that a lot in the boxing game of W!! sports, as my left punches seemed to register only about 2/3rds of the time.

That sounds awesome. Thanks for the info.

I'm shocked to see EA be the first to try this innovation. And not mail this game in.

So, what other games do you recommend (other than Zelda, which I'm not that interested in)?

The only other sports title I see out now is Madden, do the controls work well for that game?

You hike the ball by moving the remote up and at least for now it only gives you EARLY SNAP warnings if you do it too soon..itd be a bitch if they penalized you for a false start every time.

Running is all done by the stick on the nunchuck, Juke by moving the nunchuck (left or right), stiff arm by moving the remote (left or right). Passing is pretty simple, just flick the remote u, slow is a lob pass and faster is a bullet pass. Receivers selected with the d-pad. To have catch the ball/intercept on defense you have to raise both the remote and the nunchuck up at the same time. Audibles are called by pointing at the QB and pressing A (which stops the clock for some reason).

Kicking is kinda hard, as you have to start the remote pointed down and flick it up and the speed you move it up gives you the power, but if you twist the remote even slightly it puts slice into the kick either way you twisted the remote.

The most rediculous control though is for a fair catch, where you have to wave the remote up in the air left to right to left to righ like you were actually signalling for a fair catch. Ive not been able to do that in game despite mastering it in the Learn Madden portion and a little less bad in Zelda..

All in all like I said, offense is easy to figure out but for some reason defensive control isn't as good.

as a side note, lots of people are complaining that the nunchuck isn't as responsive with motion controls...I noticed that a lot in the boxing game of W!! sports, as my left punches seemed to register only about 2/3rds of the time.

That sounds awesome. Thanks for the info.

I'm shocked to see EA be the first to try this innovation. And not mail this game in.

that sounds cool as shit...I hope like hell I can find one of these next month.

However, I probably wouldn't get Madden...I usually play football games during the football season and since this season is almost over, may as well drop that $50 on something else.

Guest Princess Leena

Yeah, that's my bummer also. It's Madden. I've already played Madden and College Football 07 on XBox a lot, which is basically the same as the last 5 years of Madden.

I didn't post my "How I got my Wii" story the other day because I felt like crap after waiting around outside for 5 hours in -20 C, but I got the very last one they had at Toys R Us. I got a classic controller, an extra wiimote, Zelda, Rayman and Trauma Center for it, couldn't find an extra nunchuk though.

Anyways, to you guys having connection problems with the dongle, I have the official Nintendo one and I was having trouble as well, and it was because of Zone Alarm. Basically, if you are using Zone Alarm with it, it simply will not let out the signal. You have to completely shut it down and then it should, theoretically, work, as that's what happened with me. It might be the same with a few other firewalls as well...it's not really ideal, but it should let you go online for periods of time to get system updates and do VC downloads, etc.

Nintendo is going to release some kind of USB LAN adapter in January for those of us with wired connections, although I too wish it had one built in.

If anyone wants some impressions on the games, just ask and I'll write some up.

EDIT: Also, a quick note...my system was getting very hot, even when in standby mode, and that is because I had "Wiiconnect24" set to on, as well as "Standby connection" set to on, so the system was constantly looking for a connection that wasn't there most of the time, causing it to heat up. Once I turned those off, it runs cool as a cucumber. Those internet options will become available once you run your first 2 system updates.

I had Internet troubles, but Nintendo's support web site actually fixed them. However, it's for people with wireless routers. I just changed the channel on my router from 6 to 11, and BOOM it just worked. Dang.

I had no problems at all getting my Wii set up to my wireless router, both at my college apartment and at home for thanksgiving break. Huzzah.

Also, my friend's Wii came with this circular plastic plate, mine didn't come with one though...wtf is it?

So i played Red Steel for like 4 hours last night, the controls were hard to get used to at first, but now it's awesome and the game is really fun IMO.

What is the default sensitivity setting for the Wii? 3? I haven't really messed with it at all but I noticed some of the controls for a few minigames in Monkeyball don't control very well. Anyone tweak them at all or have any advice for sensitivty settings? Thanks.

Also, my friend's Wii came with this circular plastic plate, mine didn't come with one though...wtf is it?

It's a brace for the stand....basically, you hook it into the bottom of the grey base stand and it makes sure it doesn't tip over easily. Mine came with it and I have it on right now so my system doesn't get knocked over accidentally.

Does anyone have the Classic controller? How is it?

Despite the crappy dpad, it seems like the Wavebird just makes more sense, though, because it works on everything basically (GC/VC/Wii) and doesn't have to be connected to the Wii Remote like the Classic does.

I've heard that the Freeloader works for import GC games. Can anyone confirm that? Will the most up-to-date Action Replay work with it?

Oh--Jeremy Parish's Wii60 setup. Damn, the Wii is tiny:

http://www.toastyfrog.com/img/blogart/0611...61121_wii60.jpg

Dear jerks,

None of you have put your Wii console number into the Wii number thread. If this is because of all your Internet troubles, then oh well. Otherwise, put in your numbers!

I have a W!! but no broadband..

I feel like I only got half a console.. :(

Guest Princess Leena

So, will the Wii ever support wired router connections? Fuck that wireless shit.

Yeah but it won't be until Jan. Nintendo.com will be selling a Land adaptor.

Trauma Center is way too much fun, if you have any interest in this game at all, get it. Sooner rather than later, if the DS release is any indication, as it will become rare if it hasn't already. It really vindicates the controller well. Even if you've played the original on DS, they've really done a lot of legwork to add a lot of extra content.

Zelda is really great so far as well, I'm about 8 hours in and really enjoying it.

Rayman I'm not liking as much, possibly because by it's nature it's more of a party game, and playing minigame compilations alone takes away about 90% of their appeal, maybe I'll trade it in for Excite Truck or something that offers a more stimulating single player experience.

Here are the latest (well, actually they're probably the first, I'm not sure) Wii Famitsu scores, courtesy of the-magicbox.com, just in case any of you were interested:

# The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo): 9, 10, 9, 10 - (38/40)

# Caduceus Z: 2-tsu no Chou Shittou (Atlus): 8, 9, 8, 7 - (32/40)

# Crayon Shin-Chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii (Banpresto): 7, 8, 7, 6 - (28/40)

# Elebits (Konami): 8, 8, 8, 8 - (32/40)

# Ennichi no Tatsujin (Bandai Namco): 7, 7, 7, 6 - (27/40)

# Kororinpa (Hudson): 6, 6, 6, 6 - (24/40)

# Necro-Nesia (Spike): 8, 7, 6, 7 - (28/40)

# Odoru Made in Wario (Nintendo): 8, 9, 8, 9 - (34/40)

# Red Steel (Ubisoft): 8, 9, 9, 8 - (34/40)

# SD Gundam: Scad Hammers (Hudson): 8, 8, 9, 8 - (33/40)

# Swing Golf Pangya (Tecmo): 8, 7, 7, 7 - (29/40)

# Tamagotchi no Pika Pika Daitouryou (Bandao Namco): 7, 7, 7, 5 - (26/40)

# Wing Island (Hudwon): 5, 6, 6, 5 - (22/40)

They love themselves some Red Steel!

It would be interesting to read that review. The reviews for Red Steel are all over the place, so it's virtually impossibly to find a consensus.

By the way, retailers have recieved their second shipments, but they're sitting on them until Black Friday. So clerks that tell you they have no more either are ignorant or flat out lying.

So I can't buy a system on a nice warm afternoon, and instead retailers want you to stand outside in the freezing cold for a couple of hours. Terrific.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem if it weren't for a bunch of ASSHOLES PUTTING THE SYSTEMS ON EBAY.

Guest Princess Leena

So, has anyone tested some GC games for backward compatibility? I hear most work.

So, has anyone tested some GC games for backward compatibility? I hear most work.

Haven't had any compatibility issues with any GC games. I'm pretty sure they all work, hence the whole backward compatibility feature.