TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

That's one thing I never understood:

Ninja Gaiden series + Steep difficulty = CLASSIC!

BattleToads + Extreme difficulty = CLASSIC!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles + Steep difficultly, but not as difficult or cheap as the above two = HATERADE!

Toads has some haters, too. You're also simplifying what I said, which was also a vague generalization of why Ninja Gaiden is held in high regards.

A game being difficult does not make it good. A game being good makes it good.

A game being difficult because it's a challenge that can be overcome is good.

A game being difficult because of broken mechanics makes it bad.

Granted, I haven't played NG in awhile and I'm pretty sure there is some BS difficulty in there (hawks that swoop out of nowhere knocking you into a pit of death come to mind).

If a game is difficult due to sloppy gameplay, it gets crapped on. If it's difficult just due to being made difficult, it's not. I guess.

Though it sounds like you're making a sarcastic point, yes, this is basically the point I was trying to get across to 90 posts.

Was there ever a Tomb Raider game on a non-GameBoy Nintendo console before?

Also, I never saw the appeal of the Ninja Gaiden series. I might be getting it confused with Shinobi, though. I get all generic ninja games mixed up.

Tomb Raider Legend got a late Gamecube release. Like, just before Twilight Princess hit Wii I believe.

I don't see how you can easily confuse Ninja Gaiden with Shinobi. Shinobi's not so ridiculous hard.

Ninja Gaiden is the series that is almost exactly like NES Castlevania, but with ninjas and awesome cinema scenes. And the Xbox series doesn't really have much to do with the NES games. Tecmo just wanted Team Ninja to make their ninja game(s) Ninja Gaiden for nostalgia's sake.

I find the NES games frustrating yet accessible (thank you spirits for unlimited continues, a la CV). The Xbox game I find frustrating and inaccessible.

Is that the first "___ in peril?" continue screen, or can you name others beforehand? Other examples that come to mind is the dynamite wrapped around your guy in Final Fight, falling down that well in Mortal Kombat 4, and there's probably dozens more out there.

The only reason I get Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden mixed up is because they both have generic Ninjas as the heroes. I didn't play either in depth, was Shinobi the one that had the horseback stages? I do remember Ninja Gaiden being the game having the artificial difficulty of quickly respawing crows in midjump over pits, much like the Madusa heads in CastleVania.

I believe you're referring the horseback scene in Shinobi 3 on Genesis. So yeah, that would be Shinobi.

With Ninja Gaiden, think 8-bit. Think blue ninja who primarily attacks with his sword. Think incredibly high difficulty and cheap deaths. Shinobi is more fair and balanced, although the original game and Shadow Dancer are basically arcade games/arcade style (so, harder overall, but still good).

Oh, avoid Cyber Shinobi or Shinobi NES. Both are garbage. And the Game Gear Shinobi is really weird.

http://www.gamespot.com/sms/action/shinobi...iews;continue;5

Here's an interesting comparison/review of the first game.

I never understood why Ryu wore blue in the game and black on the box cover. But then I guess box covers were kind of wacky back then.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary to Wii + best line ever, via Joystiq

In news that is sure to set tongues wagging and arms waggling, IGN reports that Lara Croft will soon raid a more modern tomb -- your Wii's game shelf. In a press release issued by an international Eidos branch, Tomb Raider: Anniversary is stated as being in development for Nintendo's popular console. Previously, the remake was only slated for release on the PC (including GameTap), PlayStation 2 and PSP.

I'd like to note that this Press Release is basically useless. First off, there's no indication of when the heck it is coming out, so it's probably coming out later than the other versions. And I've googled--the Wii version does not have an announced release date (it does say "in development" too). Secondly, nothing is mentioned about the control scheme. When you're mentioning a Wii point, the method/control scheme is going to be a big factor in choosing which version. Just a confirmation of GC controller or not would be acceptable, guys.

Instead, all we know is that Wii version is coming, Lord knows when or how it will control. Gee, thanks guys. I appreciate that we're getting Wii ports of new games now instead of games that are already budget release on other systems (hello, Ubi). I think I'll just buy the PS2 game I *actually know the release date and controls for*.

Eidos did something similar with the GC version--they announced a release for GC long after the current versions were out, said it would have exclusive content...and I don't know if it actually did. Nothing on the box or any reviews mentioned it.

I never understood why Ryu wore blue in the game and black on the box cover. But then I guess box covers were kind of wacky back then.

Looks dark blue to me. Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 are quite distinctly blue, too.

Guest Smues
I believe you're referring the horseback scene in Shinobi 3 on Genesis. So yeah, that would be Shinobi.

With Ninja Gaiden, think 8-bit. Think blue ninja who primarily attacks with his sword. Think incredibly high difficulty and cheap deaths. Shinobi is more fair and balanced, although the original game and Shadow Dancer are basically arcade games/arcade style (so, harder overall, but still good).

Oh, avoid Cyber Shinobi or Shinobi NES. Both are garbage. And the Game Gear Shinobi is really weird.

http://www.gamespot.com/sms/action/shinobi...iews;continue;5

Here's an interesting comparison/review of the first game.

If the Game Gear one you're talking about is the one with the multi-colored Shinobis I loved that one as a kid. I still own it somewhere. I think.

Yeah, I think there's like 2 of those games, too. They're like a whole cadre of palette swaps for no real reason, and it doesn't appear that any of them are related to Joe Musashi or his kin.

Alex:

Oh yeah--I forgot to mention: Alex, these "generic ninja" guys have *names*. Ryu Hayabusa is the Ninja Gaiden lead, Joe Musashi is the lead in most of the Shinobi games (Hotsuma in the PS2 game, Ibana is the lead in Nightshade, Sho in Legions). Joe and Ryu maintain distinctive looks through most of their games, as well.

Are you a ninjaist?

http://www.smashbros.com/

Uhoh, there looks like something is brewing here...

EDIT:

This is from a blog and posted on GameFAQs, so take it with a grain of salt. But I still find fun for speculation.

* Players will be able to choose from multiple control options. Main focus is on GC controller, and Nintendo is currently considering redistribution of them.

* No motion-sensitive controls in main game.

* Game will feature no more than 50 characters.

* “Since there’s a huge fan-demand for online play, the game will almost definitely feature it. That’s the plan. We pay a lot more attention to the fans than you would think, and we think it would be pretty dumb to ignore it. What’s funny is if we had never addressed the rumor, people wouldn’t be so expectant of it as they are.”

* They wouldn’t tell me any new specific characters.

* “Fans will be extremely pleased with the quality and number of characters we’ve brought around, as we made this very much a fan-desire project. There won’t be anymore ‘clones’ either. There are definitely characters that will be huge surprises too, one of which happens to be my absolute favorite.”

* Not all characters will return. The original smash bros. will.

* Alternate Costumes/Color Schemes will be included.

* No comment on third parties.

* The game has been made “more balanced”.

* No comment on N64 like intros.

* No comment on “advanced techniques”.

* There will be new items, and some have been taken out. (Bob-ombs confirmed, don’t worry.)

* Super Smash Attacks are not immediately activated, can be reserved.

* Adventure mode will be much larger, classic mode will be featured.

* Will include more game modes, some from N64 will return. (Due to popular demand, apparently.)

* Events will be included.

* This game is scheduled to release this year.

* No comment on shoot the credits.

To add my own idle speculation:

- Rumors have it that that Roy is the most likely to be cut from the Smash roster. Why? Because his game flopped. Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link also likely to be chopped off the roster.

- No clones = YAY!

- No more than 50 characters? That sounds about right.

- Super Smash Moves sounds like stacking finishers from Day of Reckoning. That sounds like it'd be great.

- A bigger Adventure mode? I hope it's great.

- Also, I hope they nix wavedashing and chainthrows, and make it so Fox's reflector move isn't the Godliest move in fighting game history. Thats all the game balancing I need.

Actually, that was a dig at the mediocre SSB games.

I'm sure you can't wait for that f'n ace 4-Play VF on PSTriple. That's going to be off the hook, yo.

Wait, what the hell are you playing on it then?

And how about admitting that you made a mistake purchasing it? If you bought a Wii knowing you didn't really care for the games, you seem to not care about the big name 1st party games coming out, it seems like you made the mistake and are trying to justify your purchase while still securing your right to bitch.

I won't laugh. It's not like it's as funny as Mole plotting to make MAD CASH on his PSTriple ("...um...yeah, I'll keep it at a Blu-Ray player! THAT WAS MY BACK UP PLAN ALL ALONG! REALLY!") and getting stuck with it.

Guest Smues

And how about admitting that you made a mistake purchasing it? If you bought a Wii knowing you didn't really care for the games, you seem to not care about the big name 1st party games coming out, it seems like you made the mistake and are trying to justify your purchase while still securing your right to bitch.

I won't laugh. It's not like it's as funny as Mole plotting to make MAD CASH on his PSTriple ("...um...yeah, I'll keep it at a Blu-Ray player! THAT WAS MY BACK UP PLAN ALL ALONG! REALLY!") and getting stuck with it.

Dude he was going to spend $600 for the slight chance of making $25! That's so totally worth the risk!

Dude he was going to spend $600 for the slight chance of making $25! That's so totally worth the risk!

Dude, forget the profit. His *revenue* was going to be $625!!! Overall revenue is what's important!

Are you still assuming that my comment about SSB was about the Wii? Or what's the story? Drunk? PMS? Angry that someone dare insult the majestic Wii software library? I never said I didn't care about any of the future Wii titles. And since you've taken such a keen interest in my spending habits, I'll lay it out for you. I bought a Wii near launch because a) I wanted to trade my GameCube while I could still get something for it, to defray the costs of the Wii and b) because it likely wasn't going to come down in price for a long time. And now it's modded, so I can kill time waiting for the Wii library to become passable by playing a bunch of GameCube games that I never got a chance to play before. Clearly, buying the system near launch for the same price as I would pay a year later, was a mistake.

Guest Smues

Alright enough. I do not want to see another 10 pages of bickering.

On topic: Any word on what tomorrow's VC games will be?

I won't be bickering. I'll just be calmly replying.

"Are you still assuming that my comment about SSB was about the Wii? Or what's the story? Drunk? PMS? Angry that someone dare insult the majestic Wii software library?"

Ah, resorting to insults already. I'd muse about that a little, but in respect to Smues and keeping it on-topic, I won't.

You miss the point. The point isn't that I think there's something wrong with you that you don't like the Wii library. The point is that it doesn't appear that anything in the Wii library--past, present, or future--seems to be anything you care about. So you're complaining. I'm wondering if it's buyer's remorse or not.

Anya's PS3 is pretty much all she plays now--and that's because of Tekken 5 DR and MK2. Two download titles. She's not exactly complaining about the library she has available, although she talks about some future games she wants.

"Clearly, buying the system near launch for the same price as I would pay a year later, was a mistake."

Which Wii titles due out by the end of this year, incidentally, justify the cost of the system in your eyes? Clearly Smash Bros. isn't one of them. You could have just played GC titles on the GC you already owned.

In fact, I might re-buy a Gamecube because of the Gameboy Player. It would make it my 3rd Gamecube (5th since Wii is 2 GCs duct-taped together, lol), because--while I passed on the GC at launch, I ended up playing (and being massively disappointed with) Sunshine and Wind Waker, although Metroid Prime was terrific. I got another one when it became dirt cheap and I could see little reason not to grab one.

Oh, and I bought a 32X, at launch, at full price. That's one of the reasons I have a *lot* to bitch about Sega for.

On topic: Any word on what tomorrow's VC games will be?

Blazing Lazers (TG16) should be one of them. I'm pretty sure it's 100% confirmed.

F-Zero X hits Japan VC this month sometime. That doesn't mean we're getting it anytime soon, but...F-Zero X is ****ing awesome.

Zelda 2 has been ESRBed and been available on Japan VC for quite a while.

Todays VC titles are

Donkey Kong Country 2

STREETS OF RAGE 2!!!!!!!

and Blazing Lazers

Oh i wish i had wii points first ninja gaiden now SOR2 im gonna have to give in and buy some cards.