TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

English Tekken 5 DR is now up. Expect a press release from MS and Nintendo soon annoucing they are conceding the console war.

If Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core does indeed come to Wii... I dunno.

they just announced their "Playstation Home" interface, which is actually the first thing I've seen from the 600 dollar monstrosity that actually made me say "way cool", the way they describe it. There are a lot of neat possibilities. Think XBox Live crossed with Mii's crossed with Second Life. a cool thought is, say, a bunch of TSMers meeting up at Anya's place for a game of online REsistance, shooting the shit until everyone shows up, then go straight from there. or being able to share whatever's on your hard drive at your place (ie - inviting others over to watch something).

I imagine it'll get a lot of cynical comments because it's Sony (and not without precedent, since SOny brings a lot of cynicism upon themselves with their constant f-ups), but if all this was announced for Wii, using your Mii avatars, people would be raving - in fact i've seen people asking for this exact thing.

I still aint payin 600 big ones :lol: but it sounds way cool to me.

That looks like so much fun. Not exactly a system-seller, but if I had a PS3, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I am impressed with the possibilities of Home, too. It's good to see Sony getting somewhat on the right track - I've gotta believe that the stronger the competition is, the better it is for the industry as a whole.

they just announced their "Playstation Home" interface, which is actually the first thing I've seen from the 600 dollar monstrosity that actually made me say "way cool", the way they describe it. There are a lot of neat possibilities. Think XBox Live crossed with Mii's crossed with Second Life. a cool thought is, say, a bunch of TSMers meeting up at Anya's place for a game of online REsistance, shooting the shit until everyone shows up, then go straight from there. or being able to share whatever's on your hard drive at your place (ie - inviting others over to watch something).

I imagine it'll get a lot of cynical comments because it's Sony (and not without precedent, since SOny brings a lot of cynicism upon themselves with their constant f-ups), but if all this was announced for Wii, using your Mii avatars, people would be raving - in fact i've seen people asking for this exact thing.

I still aint payin 600 big ones :lol: but it sounds way cool to me.

It sounds pretty cool from what I've read, but shit, I barely have time to actually play any games, much less hang around in a virtual world waiting to play games.

Virtua Fighter 4 came out before Tekken 4, so it should be compared to Tekken 4, not Tekken 5, especially since the whole genre's popularity declined since then. And it didn't outsell Tekken 4, at least not in the US. Not even close, actually, T4 outsold VF4 over 2-1. Even add Japan sales and T4 still wins fairly easily.

As for the article, a couple years ago I'd get all worked up and write some long reply, but I've long given up caring what reviewers think about fighting games because they're just so ridiculously clueless. At this point it's just funny. "For that, we give the nod to Virtua Fighter's depth, nearly unlimited playability, and space for improvisation, compared to Tekken's dialed-in combos that put it closer to Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat than to a true 3D fighter. " Hehehe yeah.

And I <3 "depth" in VF articles. Too funny.

Sounds like whiny Tekken fans who are upset that Virtua Fighter is the more highly regarded game. Some people just prefer a certain type of gameplay over others.

No, it sounds like a clueless hack reviewer who fails to make valid arguments to justify his opinion, and acts like a half-wit when they are challenged.

Don't join the tard brigade that is most of the me-too Virtua Fighter fans nodding their heads at this stupidity.

Haha his angry blog post is so cute. I <3 VF fans, especially ones that are bad at fighting games trying to break down why VF is great.

Ignoring any individual person's opinions, Tekken copying a lot of what Virtua Fighter did is an objective fact. Whether one cares or not is a matter of personal taste. A lot of the general comparisons regarding the gameplay of each game is fairly observable too. And again, whether one prefers one style over the other is a matter of personal taste.

There were no gameplay comparisons made in either article! :( Certainly not any involving how either game is actually played. Or do you actually think people still use 10-strings in Tekken?

Haha his angry blog post is so cute. I <3 VF fans, especially ones that are bad at fighting games trying to break down why VF is great.

It's deep.

It's so deep they can't describe it.

Just accept it. Every magazine says so!

Where's my essay, WWM?

There were no gameplay comparisons made in either article! sad.gif Certainly not any involving how either game is actually played. Or do you actually think people still use 10-strings in Tekken?

Keep in mind I'm not really supporting that specific article, I'm more talking in general.

Tekken fans, in general, don't have a problem with VF. Hell, lots of us are starting to pick up VF5.

The anti-VF sentiment from Tekken fans is almost always backlash against stupid mainstream articles.

Makes sense. I don't really follow the "scene" so I've no idea what people are thinking. I'd imagine it's the smugness of the VF people vs. the argumentum ad numerum nonsense of the Tekken people. Hey, it's a microcosm of the gaming world as a whole.

Keep in mind I'm not really supporting that specific article, I'm more talking in general.

And, in general, VF players are casuals and/or complete posers.

T5's average on GameRankings is higher than VF5's, thus proving it is better. :)

Andrew's got a point, though, the vast majority of VF's most ardent American supporters (and Tekken's most ardent detractors) are people that think they're good because they're a Hero in quest mode. Their anti-Tekken arguments center around how bad the AI is. Just read through any VF thread on any general gaming forum and you'll see that. People that are actually good at either game are not nearly as rabid.

critical success~!~!

...only matters when it isn't flat out wrong

Toshinden (on Playstation) was more critically successful than Virtua Fighter on Saturn, lest you forget. Are you going to argue that those rankings were from people who actually were knowledgeable about fighting games?

Take an honest look at some of the scores Mortal Kombat Deception scored.

When it comes to fighting games, the video game media is usually unqualified for actually reviewing and comparing games.

When did I say critical success is the be-all, end-all indicator of a games' worth?

EDIT: to clarify I wasn't comparing the Toshinden Saturn port to the Saturn VF.

T5's average on GameRankings is higher than VF5's, thus proving it is better. :)

Andrew's got a point, though, the vast majority of VF's most ardent American supporters (and Tekken's most ardent detractors) are people that think they're good because they're a Hero in quest mode. Their anti-Tekken arguments center around how bad the AI is. Just read through any VF thread on any general gaming forum and you'll see that. People that are actually good at either game are not nearly as rabid.

There were 2 seperate 1up posters who said that Tekken is poor because they have "beaten Tekken 3 blindfolded" or "beat Tekken Tag with my eyes closed." These are probably some of the same people who would whine that Jinpachi is too hard. Plus, such a point is pretty much moot for judging a fighter's worth when human vs. human matches are played.

And pretty much by definition, the majority of *both* Tekken and VF's camps are going to probably be casual players. However, VF fans have an overblown sense of superiority because the game press says they're playing the "better" series. Regardless of whether said players are any good at "their" game or not.