TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 9/25 - 10/1

Derek Jeter is 3-3 today to raise his average to .345 while Joe Mauer sits like a pussy on the bench to keep his average at .346.

Yeah, I doubt it has anything to do with him catching five of the last six games and them playing an early day game after a night game today.

If the Cards are gonna take the division, they're not going to do it tonite. Andy Pettitte gets the start tonite for the 'Stros instead of Chris Sampson and in the first inning, all 4 batters so far have hit the ball really, really hard against Lance Cormier; Berkman, in particular, who unloaded on one for his 45th of the year.

Figures, I miss the first inning of the Mets game and fail to witness Abuelo Franco's three-run homer in the process. It woulda been nice to see him hit a homer besides the one he snuck over the wall that juts into right field in PETCO Park.

Ah well, got to see the two-RBI double he just hit at least.

Edit: Now the Mets got their bats working. A three-run Shawn Green homer makes it 9-0 in the fourth.

I guess Boston was smart to pass on that fourth year after all.

I was about to say. That's probably the only smart move Theo and Co. have done since winning the championship.

Is there a single team in the playoffs this year that has a rotation that makes you say "Yeah, I'm confident they can get it done"? I can't find one. This may be a postseason with one of the highest runs per game averages in history.

In a nice touch, the local Cardinals affiliate station (KTRS) has the Atlanta feed from the Houston/Atlanta game, so I'm able to follow the game play-by-play.

Laroche ties up the game 2-2 in the bottom of the 8th with his 32nd home run on the year.

Some GREAT baserunning by Brad Ausmus, Chris Burke, and Orlando Palmiero coupled with some shitty Braves' defense in the 9th inning is keepin' hope alive for another day. 5-2 'Stros. Come on, Santiago Villanueva! ...unless the name of the guy pitching for the Brewers tomorrow is not Santiago Villanueva, in which case...come on whatever your name is!

I knew those tightrope acts Cubs pitchers were doing in extras would come back to haunt them. Ryu pitched around a leadoff triple, but couldn't do likewise with the leadoff double the next inning.

It was also funny to see Carlos Zambrano not only makes better contact than John Mabry, but has more plate discipline.

Guest Smues

Gameday earlier showed LaRouche hitting a homerun to give the braves 2 runs. Now it shows 1 run and says he flied out in that at bat. What happened?

The LaRoche home run was legit as far as I can tell, but both MLB.com and ESPN gamecasts kind of went TILT during the top of the ninth during Renteria's throwing error, for whatever reason.

5-4 ballgame, LaRoche at the plate.

LaRoche strikes out swinging and the Astros live to fight another day.

The win has more repercussions than you might think - if the Cardinals clinch today, they're able to rest Chris Carpenter for the NLDS and have a bullpen game tomorrow. Now they're looking at the possibility of starting Carpenter tomorrow to clinch it, leaving him as a one-start possibility for the opening round of the playoffs.

Well, if the 'Stros pull it out and the Cards lose tomorrow, TLR can't accuse Bobby Cox of dogging it. The 'Stros got 3 unearned runs against Bob Wickman in the top of the 9th and the Bravos came back against Brad Lidge and Dan Wheeler in the bottom to score 2, but the 'Stros hang on to win 5-4, forcing the Cards to start Chris Carpenter tomorrow, so, even if the 'Stros don't make it, the Cards are still gonna have to start Marquis in Game 1. The Cards/Mets would be an, I think, an extremely high-scoring Division Series.

Guest Paul

It seems as if Melky may not make the post-season roster...

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I'm also trying to get my cheap friends to pony up 7-80 bucks, so I can get my ass to Yankee Stadium on Wednesday, for game 2 of the playoffs. I was there for game 4, last season.

Why wouldn't Melky be on the postseason roster!?! That's insanity.

Julio Franco, in his 22nd year in MLB, set a personal record with 5 RBIs for the Mets tonight. He's 48!!!

EDIT*

Franco was a rookie 7 years before Robinson Cano's FATHER! DAMN IS THAT DUDE OLD!

Guest Paul
Why wouldn't Melky be on the postseason roster!?! That's insanity.

Julio Franco, in his 22nd year in MLB, set a personal record with 5 RBIs for the Mets tonight. He's 48!!!

EDIT*

Franco was a rookie 7 years before Robinson Cano's FATHER! DAMN IS THAT DUDE OLD!

The article I got it from

Looks like between Giambi/Matsui/Cabrera, they can only choose 2, as Torre gae Sheff the nod to play 1st.

It's been a while since the Mets beat an opponent senseless, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The best part (even better than Franco's big night) was Glavine's terrific start (6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K). I'm really not concerned about the Mets' starting pitching going into the postseason; as King said, no one team's rotation is particularly dominant or even remarkable, and no other team on the NL side of the playoffs can boast the lineup or the bullpen the Mets possess. The AL side's another story entirely, but I'll worry about that when and if they get that far.

Well, keeping Phillips over Melky makes no fucking sense to me.

Fuck, now I need to listen to WFAN tonight.

IF MELKY IS LEFT OFF WE RIOT!

EDIT*

Bernie and Mo/Moose coaching on Sunday is awesome!

The Dodgers are going to hold Lowe out of his start tomorrow, and he will pitch Game 1. Tomorrow is rest day, because from all the interviews I've seen, the Dodgers want New York.

Guest Paul
Bernie and Mo/Moose coaching on Sunday is awesome!

Yes, quite awesome. I think Bernie is done after this year.

Phillips is good defensively, but yeah, Melky has a cannon for an arm from left, and he's really one of the reasons they are, where they are, IMO.

Two years ago we watched LA get slaughtered in the playoffs, and last year we watched SD get slaughtered in the playoffs... so this year we get the privilige(?) of watching both teams at the same time?

At least the NL West isn't the shittiest division this time. I believe that honor goes to the NL Central. San Diego's going to win their series, just watch.