TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 9/25 - 10/1

Twins clinch a playoff birth

Damn right. Now the Twins are only 1 game back of the AL Central Title. It is great that there is going to be only one team from the AL East in the playoffs this season.

It's essentially a two game lead in the standings. Detroit holds the tiebreaker, so the Twins have to win the Central outright.

David Wells has gout. I find that...hilarious.

Oddly enough, I found out I might have gout today too. However, I'll prefer not to think of Wells in any sort of relation to me, and instead liken myself to a young Bobby Hill.

With all the hubbub over the Astros, I neglected to realize that the Reds were only a game behind Houston in the Central. Of course, their odds of winning the division are even slimmer (3.5 is a signifcantly more difficult gap to overcome with six games left to play), but hey, with the way the Cardinals have been playing, it's not impossible.

Guest NYankees
With all the hubbub over the Astros, I neglected to realize that the Reds were only a game behind Houston in the Central. Of course, their odds of winning the division are even slimmer (3.5 is a signifcantly more difficult gap to overcome with six games left to play), but hey, with the way the Cardinals have been playing, it's not impossible.

Do Mets fans want to face Oswalt, Clemens and Pettitte in the first round?

It would come on Oct. 3rd, which would be Clemens' day to start, but Garner said if it came down to it, he wouldn't start Rocket that day cuz he wants him to start the first game of the NLDS.

Where did you hear this? It CAN'T be true. Can it?

It would come on Oct. 3rd, which would be Clemens' day to start, but Garner said if it came down to it, he wouldn't start Rocket that day cuz he wants him to start the first game of the NLDS.

Wow, I thought Garner was smart.

The only way that's possible is if Houston wins the division and Philly gets the WC. I don't see both happening, so it's kind of irrelevant. However, I wouldn't mind beating Clemens' ass on the way out because when Roger says he's retiring it sticks!

I don't wanna face 'em at all. That's one of the reasons I'm pulling for the Reds (the main one being that I'd go to whatever NLCS/NLDS games occured in Cincinnati).

Wow, I thought Garner was smart.

It was on the main page of the Astros' website. They had a quote from Garner where, when asked if Clemens would start the game if there was to be one, he said something to the effect of, "No, I want Rocket to start first in the postseason." From what I know of Garner, I'm sure he meant that comment half-joking. I certainly do imagine that if it came down to it, Clemens would start that game, although with the way that the Cards are playing, I'd have no objections to Chris Sampson starting it. Anybody but Wandy Rodriguez. I believe if it comes down to a one-game playoff, it would be Marquis' turn for the Cards unless they had Carpenter going on 3 days rest. That would be a kickass way to win the Central-Clemens vs. Carpenter at MMP for the division.

David Ross has hit two home runs in two at bats, both to Pro Player's left field upper deck. Willis does not look good out there tonight.

Edit: That it is.

This is going to be a LONG, long week. I know this team is fully capable of reaching the playoffs. But I get the feeling I've seen this script before, and I know how it all ends.

The Cards finally got a three run lead on the Astros. If the 'Stros managed to win the division it would rank as one of the three greatest collapses in MLB history, IMO. It's still unlikely though.

With the Mets in a sudden freefall, and the question marks now surrounding Pedro's and Beltran's health, I'm feeling much more nervous about this team than I was two weeks ago.

Reds in the midst of losing a five-run lead to the Marlins. It's 5-3 now in the bottom of the eighth; Cincy could have gotten out of the inning 5-2 if Weathers hadn't misplayed a weak grounder hit right at him.

And the Mets are just being destroyed. I'm getting a bit concerned.

Reds in the midst of losing a five-run lead to the Marlins. It's 5-3 now in the bottom of the eighth; Cincy could have gotten out of the inning 5-2 if Weathers hadn't misplayed a weak grounder hit right at him.

And the Mets are just being destroyed. I'm getting a bit concerned.

I wouldn't get too worried. Remember the Mets are far more concerned with coasting and resting starters than they are with winning games at this point. If they had something to play for, they'd have a better record.

I wouldn't get too worried. Remember the Mets are far more concerned with coasting and resting starters than they are with winning games at this point. If they had something to play for, they'd have a better record.

I hope you're right. I honestly don't care if they lost every game after clinching the division; they just look completely lethargic out there and I'm praying that they'll shake if off when Oct. 3rd rolls around.

Anyway...Reds pull it out, Astros win, and, as said, San Diego just leapt ahead of St. Louis. It's looking pretty likely that, by the end of the night, it'll be Cardinals - , Astros 1.5, Reds 2.5.

I love baseball.

Everybody hates Houston...because of me...

Fixed that for ya.

Yes. That makes complete and total sense, you miserable, narrowmind waste of a human being. I'm actually quite likeable and rather attractive.

The 'Stros beat the Bucs 7-4 giving them a 7-game winning streak. Carpenter coughed up a 5-2 lead for the 2nd consecutive start and things are starting to get '64 Phils interesting.

And the Dodgers are way out in front of Colorado, so they could very well have the wild card lead by night's end.

What a finish. Of course, it would be nice if ANY of these teams were going to win 90 games -- hell, even 85 games (the Padres will have 85 with a win, no one else has more than 82 right now) -- but you take what you can get nowadays.

Guest Princess Leena

The Phillies could make the playoffs while finishing 12 games out of the lead. This ruins the purity of baseball.

The Phillies could make the playoffs while finishing 12 games out of the lead. This ruins the purity of baseball.

I actually agree. I want to see the team succeed. But the idea that a team can win a championship while losing the division by double digits is nauseating.