TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Killers - Sam's Town

Got the album today a week early w/ 2 bonus tracks. The WHOLE thing sounds sorta like a Springsteen record. I gotta admit that the Killers are sorta like my guilty pleasure and I'm really enjoying the album.

Best tracks in my opinion: Sam's Town, For Reasons Unknown, Bones, The River Runs Wild, My List, Why Do I Keep Counting

I'd imagine that most of you will at least give it a listen or hear it at some point so this would be a good place for your opinions and/or total hate of the cd.

Guest Felonies!

Too bad Mole bought quit the board, I wanted to hear what he thought about it after I spent like a month staring at that girl's rack on the album cover in his sig.

Well, I do like Bruce Springsteen (at least some of his stuff), but Rolling Stone's review doesn't sound too encouraging (I don't agree with a lot of stuff in that magazine, but their reviews usually seem fairly accurate to me).

I'm anxious to hear it still, I guess. I did really like the Killers' first album.

I'm actually surprised Rolling Stone didn't give this cd *** like it does for every other paint-by-numbers radio tripe...it seems like the go-to review for every Creed, Nickelback, Kid Rock, Justin Timberlake, etc record that comes out.

Guest Felonies!

Well if it's any consolation, I'm sure the New Musical Express piled the unwarranted praise all over this. They have major boners for the Killers and the Strokes. Not just a figure of speech. You can't get through a Strokes album review without the guy mentioning how hot Julian Casablancas is.

Which is ironic because I just saw the Strokes in concert two weeks ago and I almost couldn't get over how awkward Casanovas was.

As for this CD, I've had it for almost a week and I have to say that it's pretty good. Much different than Hot Fuss, but still seems like The Killers nonetheless. I think that people who liked the first album will generally like this one and people who didn't could go either way.

I could see that. To make some even further comparisons... if you take the synth out of "For Reasons Unknown" I can almost picture it being an Elvis song.

Czech is still five years behind the times when it comes to the Strokes.

i think the strokes have fallen into an undesirable middle ground. they aren't indie darlings any more. and the mainstream don't want them either. they're just sorta there. i don't think anyone cares how they dress, look, do their drugs, or which lou reed album they're borrowing from anymore.

I didn't go to the Tom Petty shw in Madison a couple weeks ago as I've already seen him once on this current tour and it looked like the Strokes would be the opening act...then, one day before the show, it was announced that the Dandy Warhols would open. I probably would have gone had I known that earlier.

they're the most ridiculous looking band ever. they all look so silly. the drummer looks the most normal, even if he's just stolen the my name is earl look. the other 3? ridiculous. like 1998 korn-levels of ridiculous.

I head the new album last night and must say, I don't know where all the comparisons to Billy Joel or Bruce Springstein come from. It sounded much like the first album. It sounded like it was influenced by 80's new wave again. If anything there were sones that rememinded me of The Cars. It sounded nothing like any singer-songwriter stuff.

I'm sick of hearing this compared to Springsteen. In my opinion, it automatically pigeonholes the band. "When You Were Young" is one of the finest pop singles to be released in a while, and the whole album has a timeless sound. This is their "Rattle and Hum".

I'm sick of hearing this compared to Springsteen. In my opinion, it automatically pigeonholes the band. "When You Were Young" is one of the finest pop singles to be released in a while, and the whole album has a timeless sound. This is their "Rattle and Hum".

ok.

I have to agree about the single. I really like it.