TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just John

Announcers protecting kayfabe...

I think it was a Chris Jericho vs X-Pac match from several years ago where the camera caught X-pac calling a spot to Jericho. J.R.'s explanation: "X-Pac is talking some trash to Jericho."

I have an example of the complete opposite and it's always cracked me up

Early 90ties, Piper & Vince on Superstars

Out comes "Saba Simba" and Vince starts up like he's never seen him before then Piper goes

"That's not Saba Simba that's Tony Atlas" and you can hear Vince scramble to cover up for it. hilarious

Actually, I remember there was that one special on MTV a few years ago where the cameras were following Atlas around, he said he was very appreciative to Vince McMahon for giving him that job, since he needed the money and had kind of been in a rut prior to that.

yeah, I saw that too, he had hit rock bottom...but to me, that be a job I'd reluctantly take because I had bills to pay, but I wouldn't be proud of it....I can't remember, did he speak with a fake African accent? Did he speak at all?

Shiavonne referring to The Giant's horribly blown chokeslam on Hogan at Super Brawl 1996: "The Giant didnt QUITE get the elevation that he likes to get on that one". Really Tony? Hogan got maybe 6 or 7 inches off the ground before falling backwards.

Shiavonne referring to The Giant's horribly blown chokeslam on Hogan at Super Brawl 1996: "The Giant didnt QUITE get the elevation that he likes to get on that one". Really Tony? Hogan got maybe 6 or 7 inches off the ground before falling backwards.

Hogan doesn't like taking them, it seems, remember the botched one Taker gave him at...think it was Judgement Day 2002? I remember the announcer did the opposite and made it sound like Taker killed him

JR trying to scold the Canadian fans for booing The Rock at WM18.

JR and King trying to cover of the negative crowd reaction during Lesnar/Goldberg at WM20.

Hogan doesn't like taking them, it seems, remember the botched one Taker gave him at...think it was Judgement Day 2002? I remember the announcer did the opposite and made it sound like Taker killed him

See, that's one thing I think wrestling announcers are pretty bad at nowadays. Logically, Hogan would try to fight out of the Undertaker's chokeslam, so it would make sense that Undertaker wouldn't be able to hit the move 100% all the time. Why couldn't they just say "Hogan tried to counter the chokeslam, but Undertaker managed to take him down with it" or something? It makes more sense than trying to oversell or undersell the move.

See, that's one thing I think wrestling announcers are pretty bad at nowadays. Logically, Hogan would try to fight out of the Undertaker's chokeslam, so it would make sense that Undertaker wouldn't be able to hit the move 100% all the time. Why couldn't they just say "Hogan tried to counter the chokeslam, but Undertaker managed to take him down with it" or something? It makes more sense than trying to oversell or undersell the move.

If I remember correctly, one of Hogan's feet didn't even leave the ground on that Taker chokeslam. It looked horrible, and not in a good way.

The fans chanted "boring!" during Triple H Vs. Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000 when they were brawling in the entranceway, and Lawler covered it by saying "Wow, and these fans...they're chanting 'Foley' ." Awkward line.

I think it was at the ECW show in Philly this year that Devito showed up (one of Da Baldies from the original ECW) dressed as a priest and Styles and Tazz acted like they had never seen him before.

I think there's a difference between idiotic kayfabing (such as no-one knows who Jimmy Yang is), company-line kayfabing (Mordecai and Kevin Thorn - same wrestler, looks rather different, Mordecai wasn't around long, I can forgive them for pretending he's someone completely different) and doing your best to cover for something. If someone botches a high-risk move - well, they ARE meant to be high-risk. You can slip and fall, that makes sense. I think the only time I have had respect for JR as an announcer since I started watching again in 2000 was Steiner's Superman Dive of Doom where he IMMEDIATELY called it as 'a chop block off the apron'. To be fair, Steiner, DID hit the back of Triple H's leg. Yes, it was obvious to most of us that Steiner had fucked up monumentally, but it was better for him to try and cover for Steiner rather than go "Gee, this World Title challenger's kinda old and crippled, huh King?"

More idiotic kayfabing - Stone Cold's music hits (or some other recognisable music) and the announcer's going "who's this!?"

During the Undertaker vs Flair match from Wrestlemania 18, Taker tried to give Flair the Last Ride. Flair was obviously not physically capable of assisting Taker in the powerbomb, so they had to abandon the spot and go for the Tombstone. Well, long story short, JR was screaming about how Undertaker was trying to give Flair a "modified shoulder breaker". Yea........