TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Michael Hayes named Head Writer of Smackdown

with Hayes at the helm the chances of another WWE show remaining poor man's Vaudville hour seem to be decreased.

Smackdown still has Booker talking like a royal, still has a leprecaun, a limey, and a cast of ethnic characters.

Guest East.Coast.J

That's what's great about Smackdown though. In an era where everything is about how far the envelope can be pushed, Smackdown has quietly turned into the complete 1980's style children's show that is great alternative to Raw. The King Booker gimmick might be over the top, but it got Booker out of a rut that he had been in for years. Finlay may have a leperachaun, but the entire gimmick is completely entertaining. You've got an over the top princess in Sharmell, a cartoon come to life in Rey, Mr. Kennedy, The Undertaker, a guy in a dress, an MMA fighter, the Miz, an Indian, a couple of superheroes in Lashley and Batista, an Asian cowboy, MVP, London and Kendrick. I mean the opening has literally turned into a cartoon.

Smackdown has a bunch of people like Yang, Vito, Booker, Finlay, Kendrick, London and Sharmell who were either in serious ruts or just another face in the crowd and gotten them over huge with gimmicks that are actually entertaining.

The gimmicks aren't the problem with Smackdown, it's the lack of angles worth spending money on. If Hayes can keep the focus of the show on a fun cartoon product like it is now and build some feuds worth caring about, Smackdown will be in good shape.

The gimmicks aren't the problem with Smackdown, it's the lack of angles worth spending money on

Yeah, I know not everybody can fight over women or dead people.

Are you Johnny Ace?

Guest East.Coast.J
Yeah, I know not everybody can fight over women or dead people.

Way to marginalize the entire brand based on one or two bad angles.

You tell me a better way to use Booker T. I don't know if you saw those atrocious matches with Kurt Angle and John Cena where people were practically dying in the stands, but Booker T had fallen off to the point that most people doubted there was anything useful left to do with him. King Booker is great man. I remember my roots ih the mid 1980's WWF. I don't mind one cartoonish brand. I've still got Raw, TNA, ECW and ROH to get my modern fix from.

You tell me a better way to use Booker T.

I'm kind of disappointed that WWE did not do a King Shaka Zulu, or King of All Blacks gimmick for Booker T. IMO comedy act should never be champions or main eventers ever. Why could'nt they give Booker T a more serious title run as champion? In my fantasy bookings for King Booker I would of had him win the Royal Rumble, KotR, Survivor Series, and Wrestlemania in the same year. I would have him defend against Regal, Finlay, Jericho, HHH instead of working with Lashley, Boogerman, Mr. Kennedy, Kennedy.

I don't know if you saw those atrocious matches with Kurt Angle and John Cena where people were practically dying in the stands

Well Kurt Angle was never 100% healthy was he? And as for Cena well very few people can work an entertaining match with him.

Way to marginalize the entire brand based on one or two bad angles.

My statement goes for the whole WWE company. What about the bad angles of the past of Tori/Al Wilson, Christian/Jerico/Trish, Lita/Kane/Raw midcard, Mark Henry/Mae Young.

I don't mind one cartoonish brand.

For me its AAA and I don't worry about missing a show because it isn't that great to begin with. There is only so much Super Porky, La Parka, Monstar, Chucky, Allien I can tolerate.

I remember my roots ih the mid 1980's WWF

How big were the house show box office sales back then 2,000-3,000?

I can't find this reported anywhere ('course, I only checked two sites) but Alex Lucard is telling me that Jimmy Garvin has also been hired on as a writer for Smackdown... Is this true or just Badstreet nonsense? ;)

I prefer King Booker over the DX 2 Hour Marathon that is RAW. And this is from someone who is a fan of HHH.

King Booker is campy, but this is pro wrestling for goodness sakes. And Booker has never been booked as a smart heel, so for him to win a "major" event like KOTR, it is only natural for him to become delusional and adopt a gimmick such as the masterpiece we see before us.

Yes Finlay has a leprechaun, but whenever I've seen it he seems to hate it as much as everyone else does. It looks like there's just this Irish midget who has a fixation on Finlay, much to his general bewilderment, and that works better than the route of "Finlay's master plan is a midget with green facepaint" which is where they could have gone.

"It"? Wow.

If you're referring to my description of the leprechaun, I figured I had the option of using too many 'him's in the sentence, or naming Finlay and the leprechaun too many times, or just going with describing the leprechaun as an 'it'. I mean sure, the leprechaun LOOKS male, but come on, how many leprechauns have you seen? Could be female for all we know... ;)

Basically, I was referring to the character of The Leprechaun, rather than the male midget playing that character.

I do see your point... but the Boogeyman is plainly a man who's meant to be, to quote Mike Tenay, 'mentally insane' (I know he uses that about LAX, but I just love the idea of there being such a thing as 'physically insane'). The Leprechaun on the other hand... he's not referred to as a small person dressed as a Leprechaun, or a small person who thinks he's a Leprechaun... as far as I can work it out, he's meant to be a Leprechaun, and therefore in the WWE's weird whacked-out kayfabe, isn't human.

Update, IP says:

"With Michael Hayes moving into the head writer role on Smackdown, WWE has brought "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin in to be a part of the creative team. He has been with the company since No Mercy, according to PWInsider."

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/...other-news.html

Hmmm...what's Buddy Roberts doing these days?

If Ray Gordy ever makes it to Smackdown, he'll probably win a title within a week the way this is going.

Update, IP says:

"With Michael Hayes moving into the head writer role on Smackdown, WWE has brought "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin in to be a part of the creative team. He has been with the company since No Mercy, according to PWInsider."

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/...other-news.html

Hmmm...what's Buddy Roberts doing these days?

If Ray Gordy ever makes it to Smackdown, he'll probably win a title within a week the way this is going.

Could Brad Armstrong's previous identity of Badstreet actually get him on TV?

I'm hoping it means a return to a more competitive tag team division. I mean, the Freebirds are behind SD! creative now, how can they not push the tag division??

Guest CM Punk

Jimmy Jam Garvin has left the WWE creative team

Well that didnt last long