TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

30 Rock

Well......that sucked. Tracy Morgan had maybe two funny moments in the whole show, the rest he was just fucking annoying. Alec Baldwin is the best thing about the show so far.

Studio 60 blows this completely out of the water.

Didn't suck at all.

I had some problems with the opening bit (allusion to Mary Tyler Moore- wtf?), and I thought it tailed off a bit at the end, but I enjoyed it.

Baldwin was tremendous, and I loved the scenes with him and Tina. There were also some really good scenes (the scene at Alfredos and the strip club), and Jack McBrayer is going to be the breakout star if anyone watches this show.

If the show is basically the three main characters bouncing off each other with Jack McBrayer popping in and out- it'll be fine.

I posted something about it in the comments that no warrent a thread, I'll just repeat it.

30 Rock is not funny, though John Lithow's new show is great.

Even if you didn't like the show overall, no one can hate on Alec Baldwin. He was perfect

though John Lithow's new show is great.

20 Good Years was just John Lithgow overracting with an annoying laughtrack that roared at every line he delivered. I like Lithgow but he was too much. Awful show, won't last.

though John Lithow's new show is great.

20 Good Years was just John Lithgow overracting with an annoying laughtrack that roared at every line he delivered. I like Lithgow but he was too much. Awful show, won't last.

It's funny that you say that, because I competely thought the same thing, just in reverse.

30 Rock doesn't have a laughtrack.

My fear for 30 Rock is that Baldwin's not going to be the lead b/c of his movie committments. Tracy can't be the centrepiece of the show- that will be disaster.

My fear for 30 Rock is that Baldwin's not going to be the lead b/c of his movie committments. Tracy can't be the centrepiece of the show- that will be disaster.

Oh I know, but I didn't laugh and I thought that 20 Good Years will stick around while 30 Rock goes.

I didn't hate 30 Rock and I didn't love it. I liked this first episode, but something about it felt off, which I guess is because it was the pilot and was too busy with setting up everything. I'll continue to watch, but I wouldn't say that I'm hooked already. I could easily see myself just not watching it anymore if it doesn't get better week after week here with the first few episodes.

I hope I start to like it more though. I think it has potential, especially scenes with Alec Baldwin and all of the writers.

Oh I know, but I didn't laugh and I thought that 20 Good Years will stick around while 30 Rock goes.

Agreed... with Scroby that is.

Who's going to watch 20 Good Years? At least Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin have a fanbase. Plus, it's up against the last half hour of Dancing with the Stars, which will hurt.

Of course, Studio 60 is tanking and I'm always wrong about this stuff, so who knows.

I am planning on watching Twenty Good Years just because of Jeffrey Tambor. I'm downloading it now, so I can't say what I think of it. I do already know that I hate the laugh track though. I haven't been able to accept a show with a laugh track in years.

I don't think 20 Good Years is going to be around for too long either, but if I had to pick one to go down, I'd go with 30 Rock. I think you're overrating Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin's fanbases, and god knows Tracy Morgan has got none.

....we need Civil War sigs for this debate of which show is sticking around and which isn't.

You guys don't know where the comedy is at this year... where is it you may ask?

Help Me Help You

Ted Danson and Tim Meadows >>>>>>Studio 60>>>>>>>>>>>30 Rock

Wait a minute- theres someone else who watches Help Me Help You?

If ever a show screamed "cancelled" it's that one. It's so low budget, I don't see how it got on the air. Danson's awesome though.

I'm not saying 30 Rock was great, but I'm just so excited at seeing Alec Baldwin on my TV every week

At 8 p.m., ABC got a 12.3/19 from the "Dancing with the Stars" results show to easily win the hour. CBS' "Jericho" maintained the audience from its first three weeks and finished second. FOX was third with a 5.2/8 for baseball, just ahead of the premieres of NBC's endlessly promoted "30 Rock" (5.5/9) and "Twenty Good Years" (4.7/7). The NBC comedies did average more viewers than the Tigers-A's on FOX. The CW's "America's Next Top Model" was fifth with a 3.7/6.

More on 30 Rock/20 Good Years-

With three successful shows co-existing in the 8 p.m. hour (plus baseball in the mix on Fox), there was little room for the premieres of NBC’s highly touted 30 Rock and the largely panned 20 Good Years. 30 Rock kicked off with a modest 6.3/10 in the overnights (#4), 8.26 million viewers (#3) and a 2.9/ 9 among adults 18-49 (#3) at 8 p.m. That led into 20 Good Years at a not-so-good 5.7/ 9 in the overnights (#4), 6.97 million viewers (#4) and a 2.5/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#4t) at 8:30 p.m. Compared to year-ago failed occupant E-Ring (Overnights: #2t, 6.4/10; Viewers: #2, 8.56 million; A18-49: #4, 2.3/ 7 on Oct. 12, 2005) that was, on average, a decline of 6 percent in the overnights and 640,000 viewers, but an increase of 17 percent among adults 18-49 for the two comedies. Of note: The last time NBC opened the season with sitcoms in the Wednesday 8 p.m. hour was in 1997 with The Tony Danza Show and Built To Last, and both those shows were gone by December.

20 Good Years is not long for this earth, but I think increasing 17% from E-Ring is a positive sign.

With three successful shows co-existing in the 8 p.m. hour (plus baseball in the mix on Fox), there was little room for the premieres of NBC’s highly touted 30 Rock and the largely panned 20 Good Years. 30 Rock kicked off with a modest 6.3/10 in the overnights (#4), 8.26 million viewers (#3) and a 2.9/ 9 among adults 18-49 (#3) at 8 p.m. That led into 20 Good Years at a not-so-good 5.7/ 9 in the overnights (#4), 6.97 million viewers (#4) and a 2.5/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#4t) at 8:30 p.m. Compared to year-ago failed occupant E-Ring (Overnights: #2t, 6.4/10; Viewers: #2, 8.56 million; A18-49: #4, 2.3/ 7 on Oct. 12, 2005) that was, on average, a decline of 6 percent in the overnights and 640,000 viewers, but an increase of 17 percent among adults 18-49 for the two comedies. Of note: The last time NBC opened the season with sitcoms in the Wednesday 8 p.m. hour was in 1997 with The Tony Danza Show and Built To Last, and both those shows were gone by December.

20 Good Years is not long for this earth, but I think increasing 17% from E-Ring is a positive sign.

Guess not. Oh well maybe I was the one overrating Lithgow and Tambor's fanbases.

I'll guess both shows dip a point next week (the overly hyped The Nine lost almost 2 points from its premiere last week to this one) and get the axe by January 1st.

EDIT: Also, Help Me Help You is by far the best new comedy I've seen and has a cushy timeslot behind DWTS. It has maintained its audience pretty well too (7.0/11 this week, 7.0/11 last week, 7.7/12 in its 1st week). Once DWTS is over it may run into some trouble, but it's in a solid position for the next couple of weeks at least.

You guys don't know where the comedy is at this year... where is it you may ask?

Help Me Help You

Ted Danson and Tim Meadows >>>>>>Studio 60>>>>>>>>>>>30 Rock

Wait a minute- theres someone else who watches Help Me Help You?

If ever a show screamed "cancelled" it's that one. It's so low budget, I don't see how it got on the air. Danson's awesome though.

I'm not saying 30 Rock was great, but I'm just so excited at seeing Alec Baldwin on my TV every week

That's why I don't think it will be cancelled. It's really cheap, and the ratings have been decent for it. Plus... come on, it's Ted Danson.

I like Alec Baldwin (who doesn't?) but I wish he was doing something better then a Tina Fey/Tracy Morgan vehicle because any show that requires Morgan to carry part of it is a disaster in the making.

So far, none of the new sitcoms have worked except The Class and that is only because they have two characters that I actually like while the rest aren't enjoyable. 2GY isn't good at all, Ted Danson isn't enough for HMHY.

You win this round Barron, but just you wait. 20 good years will come back from the ashes and then I shall win the next round! :D

Scroby v. Barron: Next week, it's personal.

Baldwin can't be the main guy on 30 Rock b/c of his movie career. His waffling on whether to join 30 was a major headache.

I hated The Class pilot, and never went back. I like Jason Ritter, but seeing Janice Ian play a 28 year old is weird. I'll keep watching Help Me until it gets the axe