TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

WWE announces 2007 DVDs

Some brief news on the Mania DVDs that come out 5/22.....

The Limited Edition Mania DVD edition (3 discs) appears to be packaged in a tin digi-pack (I may be wrong about that) and its claim via Shopzone is it is 9 hours total, and will include the HOF ceremonies, as well as bonus matches, vignettes, etc.

The regular Mania release is 2 discs, total time of 4 hours, so that seems to indicate that it will be just the ppv itself, with perhaps a few extras like the All Grown Up vignettes, etc.

Just a little FYI for ya'll......

I own the NWO with the extra disc... I just haven't looked at it in a while, so I got mixed up. Just popped the disc in. It has the two big matches from Smackdown on 2/16. The non-title HBK/John Cena vs. MVP/Kennedy and the UT/Batista vs. Rated RKO.

Thanks for that info. Those matches were not something to die for but were pretty decent so I'll check Blockbuster and if they have a good price I might pick it up.

I own the NWO with the extra disc... I just haven't looked at it in a while, so I got mixed up. Just popped the disc in. It has the two big matches from Smackdown on 2/16. The non-title HBK/John Cena vs. MVP/Kennedy and the UT/Batista vs. Rated RKO.

Thanks for that info. Those matches were not something to die for but were pretty decent so I'll check Blockbuster and if they have a good price I might pick it up.

My closest Blockbuster had it brand new for $19.99 and last I knew they put out Pre-Viewed ones for $14.99 or 2 for $20, or if you have their online movie pass you get them 3 for $20.

so I guess Ill have to pick up the special wm set since it has the hof and such. man that sucks if it is digipack, I liked the hard boxes of the last few years

I watched the main feature on the Horsemen DVD over the weekend. I won't rehash what everyone else has said, because it really is a great production. My only minor complaint is that they really gloss over a lot of stuff...everything after 1990 or so is blown off pretty quickly. I know they don't like Sid, but it would've been nice if they could have at least shown why he was included in the Horsemen in the first place, even if he was a crappy worker. Just more attention to stuff like that would've been cool. Also, the DVD made it sound like Arn, Tully, and Flair accomlished absolutely nothing in their WWF stints, which was really weird, too. At least they did acknowledge the final incarnations with Mongo, Benoit, Malenko, etc.

I'm looking forward to watching the matches on the rest of the DVD, though.

yea it was odd that they inferred flairs wwf run was bad or something, I mean he won TWO WWF titles, co main evented wrestlemania, lasted an hour in the rumble, had hot feuds with piper and savage. and arn and tully were tag champs and big part of the heenan family

Yeah, exactly. They didn't need to totally gloss over that. They could have just acknowledged their title reigns.

Oh, one other thing. I had never seen Arn's original look, with the hat and sunglasses. I thought that was pretty funny.

The following was posted at WC, from the Wrestling Observer:

Paul Roma was actually baited into making the comments he did for the Four Horsemen DVD. At first, Roma actually did most of his interview completely favorable to his experience in the group and to Flair & Anderson. It was only when producers riled him up by saying they were negative towards him, that he came back as a reflex and changed his tune towards then. Roma would go on to say, "Ric Flair wanted to be me, but never could." Flair & Anderson didn't say anything negative about him at first, but once they shot the footage and showed it to them, it was very easy to get Anderson & others to knock Roma as a gym rat who wasn't fit to be in the group. The producers did all this to create controversy and to create an on-screen heel for the DVD.

Blockbuster will be getting Wrestlemania in for rental and for sale. Apparently the DVDs will have Blockbuster Exclusive content again, but looks like a standard 2-disc set, regular keep case, albeit just the PPV poster (with the three big matchups) as opposed to the Wrestlemania logo shown on the other two editions.

Has the following been posted yet? From PWInsider:

COMPLETE MATCH AND EXTRAS LISTING FOR WWE'S MOST POWERFUL FAMILIES IN WRESTLING DVD

by Mike Johnson @ 3:58:00 PM on 5/11/2007

The complete match listing and extras for the forthcoming WWE Most Powerful Families in Wrestling DVD has been released. Promotional material for the DVD reads, "Some of the greatest wrestling superstars come from rich family traditions. The Rock (Rocky Johnson, The wild Samoans, the great Peter Mavia) Texas wrestling is largely defined by the Von Erich family, as well as the Funks, whose father Dory Sr. raised two future world champs, Dory Jr. and Terry. Canada considers the Hart family (Bret Hart, Owen Hart, British Bulldog, Jim the Anvil Neidhart) wrestling royalty. Great Families of Wrestling will examine these families, as well as the Guerreros, Ortons, Gagnes, Colons, DiBiases, Rhodes, Lawlers, and more. The DVD will explore the rich legacies these families have created in sports entertainment, and define their lasting impact. Fathers, sons, brothers, and grandsons will all be covered, including both relationships and connections acknowledged and long held secret."

The compete listing of extras and matches that will be included beyond the documentary portion of the DVD feature:

*Blackjack Mulligan & Blackjack Mulligan Jr. (Barry Windham) vs. Jim Nelson & Ricky Harris (Mid-Atlantic, January 1982)

*Bob Orton Sr. & Cowboy Bob Orton vs. Rocky Smith & Jeff Ports (Championship Wrestling from Florida, April 1976)

*Kevin & Kerry & David Von Erich vs. Bill Iwin & Frank Dusek (World Class Star Wars '81)

*Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood (Starrcade '83)

*AWA World champion Curt Hennig vs. Greg Gagne (May 1988)

*Chavo & Mando & Hector Guerrero vs. Mike Enos & Tom Burton & Krusher Krugnoff (AWA, September 1988)

*Barry & Kendall Windham vs. Lex Luger & Michael Hayes (NWA, March 1989)

*Eddie & Chavo Guerrero vs. Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin (Smackdown, September 2003)

*Ivan & Scott Puski vs. Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher (Monday Night Raw, July 1997)

*WWF Intercontinental champion Rocky Maivia vs. The Sultan (Wrestlemania 13)

*ECW Tag Team champions The Public Enemy vs. Terry & Dory Funk Jr. (ECW Hostile City Showdown 1994)

*Randy Orton vs. The Undertaker (Summerslam 2005)

*The Bushwhackers vs. The Rougeaus (WWF at Madison Square Garden, February 1989)

*Chief Jay Strongbow & Peter Maivia vs. Ali Baba & Baron Mikel Scicula (WWWF TV, September 1977)

*Bret & Bruce & Owen & Keith Hart vs. Shawn Michaels & His Knights (Survivor Series '93)

*Dusty & Dustin Rhodes vs. Bunkhouse Buck & Barry Windham (WCW Clash of the Champions, August 1994)

*Deuce discusses being the son of Jimmy Snuka (which would be the first time WWE has publicly acknowledged that)

*Barry Windham discusses teaming with his father.

*Chavo Guerrero discusses family gatherings.

*Jeff Hardy discusses using a trampoline to learn.

WWE's DVD Wrestling's Greatest Families can be pre-ordered now from our friends at www.highspots.com.

That's a pretty awesome DVD. Matches aren't all great workrate matches, but good ways of getting more family members into one match (Rock at WM 13 IC Title, Harts Survivor Series 93, Putski Raw Tag from 97). Really diverse line-up, I'll check this out.

*Barry & Kendall Windham vs. Lex Luger & Michael Hayes (NWA, March 1989)

That's the match where Hayes turned on Luger to set up his sole US Title reign, IIRC.

In regards to the WWF in 1992....their business really went south after WM that year. The whole period from roughly April until August when the SS build started up big time was very tedious stuff with the same stale house show matches. Hogan was for the most part gone at that point in "retirement" post WM 8 and by that point wrestling wasn't perceived as cool anymore. While I would have been intrigued at a house show lineup featuring Savage/Flair and Bret/HBK on top, this apparently wasn't the majority opinion at the time (not to mention the undercards weren't so hot).

I flat out loved the WWF from the SummerSlam 1992 build till year's end. That brief era gave us Bret vs. Bulldog at SS, the entire Macho/Warrior feud with Flair and Perfect messing with them, Flair's subsequent win over a hurting Savage (with Razor's debut), Bret shocking Flair at a random show in Canada for the title (which stunned everyone at the time), the whole segue into Perfect turning on Flair to team with Savage against Flair/Ramon, and Bret's "fighting champion" gimmick that was a breath of fresh air at the time compared to previous champs who never defended at all on TV. Hell, I even enjoyed the silly cheese feuds of that period like Bossman vs. Nailz and UT vs. Kamala.

The WWF in 1992 was financially down the tubes, but I think most fans now wax poetic about that particular era. Probably one of my favorite times watching wrestling.

ok I got an advance copy of the CC flyer of next week and it shows the 2 disc set of Mania for 17.99 and it comes with a free "Roddy Piper Film Cell"? and the 3 disc set as 24.99 (which you know ill be getting)

that families set looks good, have to pick that up as well as the ladder match one

I am closing at CC monday and opening Tuesday so I can get me hands on the mania dvd. I post on here Monday night if I get a good look at the boxes.

(too bad im about to start a strecth run Friday where I work for at least 6 straight days (maybe more considering it is a holiday weekend next week)

Guest krippler27

Does anyone know how far back PPV - wise and in general WWE/F started making DVDs? I am thinking 2000 but on ebay I see others from the past, even some in a Attitude Collection.

Thanks

Krippler

First DVD to start the regular circulation of DVD's was Backlash 2001.

Yeah. They started out with just the big PPVs on DVD.

1999 - WM and Summerlsam

2000 - Rumble, Mania, KOTR, Summerslam, Survivor Series

2001 - Rumble, then Mania-the rest

So all of 2001 was released but the beloved No Way Out 2001 and before that, just the Big 5 of 2000 and the big 2 from 99.

The Attitude Collection was re-released on DVD, but the only two events released in that set were Unforgiven 98 and IYH: Rock Bottom (12/98). All the other DVDs in that series were the small documentaries, like the TLC one and one of the Rock videos. I heard all of the Attitude Collection ones were those DVDs with no menus or options, basically you just put the DVD in and it played straight through. Wouldn't surprise me because these were rehashed to be "Value Price DVDs".

In other news, Backlash is getting pushed out awful quick to Wrestlemania. Wrestlemania comes out this Tuesday the 22nd and Backlash is going to be the next Tuesday, the 29th. That's like the quickest back to back releases I can think of, other than Surivor Series and December to Dismember being released on the same day a few months back.

Also, it looks like Blockbuster will be continuing the exclusive disc series. They have 2-Disc Backlash, Judgment Day, Vengeance and One Night Stand listed in their computer already (typically as far out as they go at this time, through the July releases).

The Blockbuster exclusive content for Mania is not very exciting, unless you just want to get the set really cheap when the rentals go Pre-Viewed. The first disc is the show up until the main event. Disc two is the main event and the two exclusive special features, which is the Battle of the Billionaires contract signing and the Originals vs. New Breed Extreme Rules rematch from ECW on Sci-Fi.

Ugh, the Roddy Piper DVD wasn't very good. There was WAY too much kayfabe going on with how they discussed the matches. His book is SOO much better and gives a much bigger insight.

Ugh, the Roddy Piper DVD wasn't very good. There was WAY too much kayfabe going on with how they discussed the matches. His book is SOO much better and gives a much bigger insight.

I have had that sitting on my shelf since Christmas and haven't gotten around to it. That's disappointing, but how I felt with the Horseman DVD. I was so excited for it, but just felt like my intelligence was being insulted most the disc. Arn Anderson was justifying their "legit crime" of beating Dusty Rhodes in the parking lot.

This may have already been answered, but when is the Curt Henning DVD out?

And has the Rock one been canned?

I am closing at CC monday and opening Tuesday so I can get me hands on the mania dvd. I post on here Monday night if I get a good look at the boxes.

(too bad im about to start a strecth run Friday where I work for at least 6 straight days (maybe more considering it is a holiday weekend next week)

This question is for you Jercholic82, since you work a video store. Can you confirm that the Ladder Match dvd is indeed coming out on June 5th? The wweshop.com site has it coming out on August. I'm asking 'cause I placed an order on amazon.com for the WM23 , Backlash, and Ladder Match dvds and since my order won't be shipped until all of those have been released I don't want to wait until fricking August to get my Mania and Backlash dvds.

BTW, amazon. com has killer prices for both the WM23 and Ladder Match dvds. They're only about $20 each.

EDIT: Nevermind. WWEShop also has it for June 5th.

So has anyone found out what retail will be selling the Wrestlemania 23 dvd set for cheap yet?