TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

NHL Thread: November Edition

I find Peter McGuire (sp?) to be far more annoying than Miller.

Pierre, and yes, you're right. I still don't mind Miller at all.

Czech, re: Baron's assessment. No shot at NSkie, but I think we may need to make history, Czech, and invite Rant in for an assessment. I'm sure he can offer some sort of tidbit.

God damn you Montreal.

Can you play well for more than two games?

That's called a winning streak. It HAS happened before.

On the upside, they haven't played poorly longer than two games in a row either.

Abby got pulled tonight after shelling up three goals in the third.

Here's a problem for Montreal, they have eight defencemen once Bouillion gets healthy. Who do you trade?

Souray is not going anywhere.

Markov is a possibility, but I doubt that.

Komisarek and Streit: Both are young and can develop, and Montreal can get someone good in return, I hate to see either go (especially Streit) but to improve the offense, would be better.

Rivet: I doubt anyone would pick him up, but he's a great leader, and size for Montreal.

Dandenault: He's expandable, but his value went down after leaving Detroit

Niinamma and Bouillion: Big time salary that no one is willing to bite. Montreal is stuck with them.

Dan Cloutier makes me want to take a shit and smear it all over Wayne's statue in front of Staples.

Worst fucking goalie in the fucking history of the fucking league.

Two softies. Dude is unable to stop pucks on anything that resembles an odd man rush.

One on a Gagne break, where Gagne got the puck near Cloutier. I accepted that one, but I don't like it. Umberger scored twice, once off a faceoff where Cloutier had plenty of time to see the puck. It was a bad shot in the first place. I do not want to remember how the first of his goals was scored, that one had me in a rage. I'd rather forget it.

First goal of the game for Philly was fucking horrendous. Cloutier was practically stuck to the wrong side of the net on a wraparound.

The Kings are not a bad team. They are a decent team, maybe even a fringe playoff team with the worst goaltending in the league.

Honest to God, I feel like I don't want to watch the Kings anymore. That loss, to that team, was a knife in the heart.

Too inconsistent, let's in lots of soft goals as well, and has confidence and durability issues. I'd like it if he were consistently shitty, and got this team a good draft pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cloutier kill himself. He looks like he's about to lose it.

So the Sharks should put an end to the Flyers' embarassing the Pacific. But how many times will I read that the Kings aren't really a bad team this season? Actually, it's every season. Don't the Kings have one of the worst owners in sports? Every year the fans are so optimistic, and get so let down.

I'm not optimistic. I don't expect playoffs until 2008-09, and I don't know anyone who does or should. Everything would need to fall into place for the Kings to make the playoffs. I'm used to everything falling out of place.

Kings have good ownership now that they don't meddle in hockey decisions. If not for ownership, they would have had Forsberg and not Roenick.

909's expectations for this year and next = The Kings to be a terrible team. That's sad.

Here are some rumours to be swirling around the NHL, from TSN.ca

The Coyotes and Sharks could have the pieces to make a blockbuster deal, the Bruins have some quality names circulating on the rumour mill and the Canucks might be inclined to deal a centre. Hot n' Not, Farm Report, Junior Report, Varsity Report and the best in quotes, Chirping, in this week's edition of TSN.ca's Backchecking.

AROUND THE RINKS

- The Boston Globe reports on a rumoured deal involving Phoenix and San Jose that would have Sharks G Evgeni Nabokov going to the Coyotes and D Ed Jovanovski headed to the Sharks. Since the Coyotes actually have depth on defence, it might be best to improve the situation in goal at similar cost to Jovanovski's price tag. From the Sharks perspective, they are looking for a franchise-type defenceman, but it remains to be seen if Jovo is deemed enough value in return for Nabokov.

- The Boston Herald says that trade rumours are swirling around Bruins D Brad Stuart, whose contract is up at season's end, as well as Paul Mara. The Boston Globe mentioned that Brad Boyes has had his name pop up in rumours as well.

- The Vancouver Province indicates that C Brendan Morrison has been the subject of persistent trade rumours and LW Jan Bulis has found himself in coach Alain Vigneault's doghouse. The paper notes that Morrison might have been dealt for Phoenix C Mike Comrie, but the Comrie broke his foot, halting any talks.

- With the heat still on in Ottawa, the names of young C Antoine Vermette and D Anton Volchenkov continue to be mentioned in trade rumours, writes the Ottawa Sun, but the paper also notes that head coach Bryan Murray recognizes, in a cap world, how difficult it is to get value in return for inexpensive players.

- According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Edmonton Oilers have interest in Lightning D Dan Boyle, who does have a no-trade clause.

- Philadelphia ie either trying to boost Petr Nedved's value or they're resigned to him being part of the solution. The veteran pivot has six assists in five games in November, but is also logging more than 20 minutes of ice time per game in November.

- The Chicago Tribune suggests that, with Nikolai Khabibulin getting healthy, the Blachawks should investigate dealing Khabibulin for a capable first-line centre, which could be easier said than done when considering Khabibulin's massive contract.

- While noting that the Colorado Avalanche would like to make a major deal (perhaps for Peter Forsberg?), the Philadelphia Inquirer notes that the Flyers might have interest in Avalanche D Ossie Vaananen, though that kind of deal would be decidedly not major.

- Though Anaheim has been considered a potential trading partner for teams in search of a starting goalie, Ducks GM Brian Burke told the Boston Globe that he he has no intention of dealing G Ilya Bryzgalov.

- The Buffalo News reports that Hurricanes C Kevyn Adams, who seen his ice time dwindle in Carolina, has been mentioned in trade rumours recently.

- Boston's acquisition of Stanislav Chistov isn't a blockbuster, but it's a worthwhile chance to take for a team that needs more skill. Chistov has played on a line with Petr Tenkrat and rookie Phil Kessel, giving the Bruins an intriguing speed/skill line.

- Hurricanes LW Andrew Ladd is having a hard time earning playing time in Carolina since coming off the injured list. He's averaging less than 10 minutes per game in November and has just one assist in eight games.

- Brian Pothier continues to log major ice time in Washington, ranking fourth among NHL defencemen -- sandwiched between Toronto's pairing of Bryan McCabe and Tomas Kaberle and the Ducks duo of Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer.

HOT

Miikka Kiprusoff, G, Calgary (5-0, 1.00 GAA, .966 SVPCT in last five games)

Mike Commodore, D, Carolina (0-5-5, plus-7 in last five games)

Ruslan Salei, D, Florida (2-4-6, plus-2 in last six games)

Randy Robitaille, C, Philadelphia (3-3-6, plus-4 in last four games)

Alexander Frolov, LW, Los Angeles (5-4-9, even in last five games)

Nathan Horton, LW, Florida (2-6-8, plus-4 in last six games)

NOT

Martin Gerber, G, Ottawa (1-3-1, 4.21 GAA, .843 SVPCT in last five games)

Petteri Nummelin, D, Minnesota (0-1-1, minus-7 in last five games)

Adam Foote, D, Columbus (0-1-1, minus-7 in last six games)

Scott Mellanby, RW, Atlanta (0-0-0, minus-5 in last four games)

Nikolai Zherdev, RW, Columbus (0-0-0, minus-3 in last five games)

Raffi Torres, LW, Edmonton (0-0-0, minus-2 in last six games)

FARM REPORT

Erik Christensen, C, Scranton Wilkes-Barre Penguins - A third-round pick of the Sens in 2002, Christensen played 33 games in Pittsburgh last year, scoring 13 points. While it's a daunting task to make the Penguins lineup as a point-producing centre, 22 year-old Christensen is doing his part to get noticed, scoring 22 points in 15 AHL games this season.

Andrew Ebbett, C, Binghamton Senators - Signed out of the University of Michigan as a free agent after posting 42 points in 41 games as a senior, the 5-foot-10, 165-pound 23 year-old pivot has made a smooth jump to the pros, tallying 16 points in his first 14 AHL games.

JUNIOR REPORT

Brent Aubin, RW, Quebec Remparts - The 20 year-old was signed by Toronto as a free agent after scoring 57 goals last season. Short and stocky, he has a nose for the net, evidenced by his 27 goals in 26 games this season.

Bobby Sanguinetti, D, Owen Sound Attack - The puck-moving blueliner was a first-round pick by the Rangers in 2006 and has returned to the OHL set to improve on last year's 65-point season. Through 22 games, Sanguinetti has 24 points, including an astonishing 13 goals.

Leland Irving, G, Everett Silvertips - Calgary's first-round pick in 2006, Irving has been dominating Western Hockey League shooters this year, posting a 14-1-1 record with a 1.24 goals against average and .946 save percentage, not to mention five shutouts. Sure appears like the Flames have a goaltender of the future.

VARSITY REPORT

Mike McKenzie, C, St. Lawrence Saints - A 20 year-old forward with a connection to TSN that hockey fans might be able to figure out, McKenzie is off to a strong start in his freshman campaign in the ECAC, putting up eight points in nine games

Kyle Okposo, RW, Minnnesota Golden Gophers - Drafted seventh overall by the Islanders in 2006, Okposo is off to a terrific start to his college career. The 18 year-old has nine goals and five assists through 11 games.

CHIRPING

"When you have a diamond in your hand you shouldn't get rid of it." - Bruins D Zdeno Chara, on the Senators dealing away Marian Hossa

I've been in the game 40 years and I've never seen a team like this. It's beyond my comprehension. We don't even compete. I can take some losing, but not in the way we're losing. We just come out dead in the first period almost every night." - Flyers chairman Ed Snider

"I wouldn't trade this roster for any roster." - Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

"DiPietro showed he's one of the best goalies in the league." - Stars C Mike Modano after getting shut out by the Islanders

I like the quote from Chara on Hossa leaving Ottawa.

And Mike is reading this thread?

Care for your intakes about those Rangers?

He's got a point, but if you keep Hossa, who do you get rid of? Heatley's making about half as much as Hossa is. That's another thing about the cap -- you can't keep everyone you'd like to have, unless they're willing to take less money for the sake of keeping a winning team together. Hossa was NOT willing to do that.

Its really on Lundqvist really. he sucked early but he's beeen a bit better as of late. The D REALLY REALLY sucked early, beside Ward who's been rock solid. Ozslinch and Rahuneck are ok, Rodival is improving, but Malik has been ASS, and Pock continues to be inactive for some reason.

Shannahan has been amazing, the sniper we needed. Hes all over the place, even killing penalties. Jagr's slowly coming back from surgery but hes slowly improving. prucha and cullen have been ok.

They just don't have an identity right now, but their slowly getting better.

Another loss for the Sens, but they came back from a 3-0 deficit to pull within a goal of New Jersey in the third, which was encouraging.

What's not so encouraging is that the Sens are now 14th in the East. Even though it's early, that's a lot of teams to have to leapfrog to get to a playoff spot.

I agree with you Mike.

The Rangers are just there. By containing Shanny and Jagr you have one easy opponent unless Lunqvist or Weeks stands on their head.

Another loss for the Sens, but they came back from a 3-0 deficit to pull within a goal of New Jersey in the third, which was encouraging.

What's not so encouraging is that the Sens are now 14th in the East. Even though it's early, that's a lot of teams to have to leapfrog to get to a playoff spot.

A lot of good teams to Chris. I'm still waiting to see when you know, reality starts hitting in with Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Toronto.

A lot of good teams to Chris. I'm still waiting to see when you know, reality starts hitting in with Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Toronto.

Pittsburgh's started to cool-off, and Toronto's still playing well. Even when they calm down, they're playoff good.

Buffalo's for real. Your point about a lot of OT wins and blown third periods is fair, but still, a record of 16-2-1 is pretty fucking good anyway you analyse it.

I'm not sold on the Rangers. Jagr and Shanny are keeping things up, but their defence is pretty thin. I honestly think, as was the case with Miller and Ward, that Lundqvist was so used to playing every game like he was fighting for his job that the luck and urgency to play well stuck with him. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a shot at Lundqvist, who is certainly talented (after all, you don't fuck up your way to an Olympic gold medal), but I also think it was awfully easy to hand out blue ribbons to a team that hadn't been to the playoffs since Tickle-me-Elmo was a big deal.

Lots of career years and overacheiving on the Blueshirts last year, IMO. They'll compete, but I see them falling a little short this year.

CC, Melynk's been pleading for patience, and this is simply too good a team to keep having the pressure on the shit barometer rise. Gerber is the biggest problem (or was, at least), but can't really point the finger entirely at him. If they can get their powerplay back on form, they should be alright. A little leadership is in order.

Three things that will kill the Sabres chances at going to the cup (and most likely too).

1.) Size: There is no size on this team. Montreal has a bigger size advantage than them (which is rare). I'm surprised that only Toronto that I've seen have actually used the body against Buffalo.

2.) Goaltending: Very average, with Miller posting a 2.65 GAA and Biron a 3.34 GAA and an .884% Save Percentage. Buffalo does not have that great of a defence to stop teams that are pretty explosive and can score with more than one line.

3.) Scoring: Eventually, you'll see most of the players start to cool off down the stretch. Sure its great now, but when it comes to crunch time, and when the sixth and seventh team needs those points, how strong can Buffalo's third and forth line be accounted for.

I hope to god that Nabokov goes to the desert and not to Boston. And that Chiarelli stays the fuck away from Khabibulin. The Bruins have a lot of goaltenders right now and while there may not be a true "#1" I think Thomas is fine until Hannu is ready. Thomas has a three year contract. Three years takes us to the time when Rask can come over and start kicking a little ass, so it's in their best interest to not trade for an albatross like Nabokov or Khabibulin.

Don't look now, but the Bruins have won three straight and face a Capitals team that's playing the second night of a back-to-back after a pretty good game last night.

1.) Size: There is no size on this team. Montreal has a bigger size advantage than them (which is rare). I'm surprised that only Toronto that I've seen have actually used the body against Buffalo.

Gaustad's a pretty big dude and can throw down. So can Andrew Peters. I don't think that will be an issue in the playoffs, considering that it wasn't their downfall last year.

2.) Goaltending: Very average, with Miller posting a 2.65 GAA and Biron a 3.34 GAA and an .884% Save Percentage. Buffalo does not have that great of a defence to stop teams that are pretty explosive and can score with more than one line.

Almost a valid point except their record is outstanding with this alleged average goaltending. 16-2-1 with goaltending that has yet to catch fire scares the shit out of me if I have to see them in the playoffs.

3.) Scoring: Eventually, you'll see most of the players start to cool off down the stretch. Sure its great now, but when it comes to crunch time, and when the sixth and seventh team needs those points, how strong can Buffalo's third and forth line be accounted for.

Sure they'll cool off, but being able to roll four lines in the playoffs makes them even more dangerous, IMO. Chris Drury isn't going to score 47 goals. Thomas Vanek isn't going to score 56. They'll cool off, but you're not giving them credit for the one thing that will bring them to the Cup: Depth. They are the deepest team in the league right now. Their two best defensemen are down right now and they're still winning. Once they get those players back...it's on.

You're dead wrong about Buffalo. I don't like them either seeing as they are a divisional opponent, but you have to give them credit for what they've done so far.

CC, Melynk's been pleading for patience, and this is simply too good a team to keep having the pressure on the shit barometer rise. Gerber is the biggest problem (or was, at least), but can't really point the finger entirely at him. If they can get their powerplay back on form, they should be alright. A little leadership is in order.

I might agree with you if they weren't about to pass the quarter-season mark. A quarter of a season isn't just a slump anymore. They're in trouble, and I can only hope it's not already too late to get out of it. The division they're in doesn't help at all -- they've still got, what, 20-25 games left against the Northeast? That's going to be really tough. There's not a single guaranteed win in that entire group.

I wonder if it's time to split Spezza and Heatley up. Neither of them is particularly able (or willing) to play defence -- that's on the coach, by the way -- and having them both out there at the same time seems to hurt their defence more than it helps their offence. Or maybe I'm just panicking and grasping at straws.

Huet is the starter for Montreal tonight, while for Boston it is Tim Thomas.

Francis Boullion was at practice today for the first time this season, but he is not cleared to play.

Huet is the starter for Montreal tonight, while for Boston it is Tim Thomas.

Are you surprised that Thomas is the starter, or...? I don't understand how that warranted mentioning. He's started four games in a row. The back-up is Brian Finley right now.