TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Borat

Okay what? These guys were engaging in behavior they wouldn't normally engage in? Let's see, these guys were a bunch of white frat house boys getting drunk, watching the Pamela Anderson tape, and rambling about how minorities and Jews are hurting the country.

They might call it unusual behavior. I call it a typical night at a frat house.

I've been trying to see this all week, but today marks the third time that my friends have gotten lost on their way to the theater, gone to the wrong theater, etc. These are three completely different groups of people that have failed every time. I need some less retarded friends.

Downloaded a fairly good copy of it, and so far (paused at 36:12) I'm enjoying it. It's your typical cam quality - a lil dark - but the audio more than makes up for it. Spanish subtitles, but easily ignored.

I'm very interested in seeing these college buddies now, since it seems the focus of the thread. I'm especially looking forward to the DVD release, because you just KNOW they'll be tons of deleted scenes of footage they didn't (or couldn't) use in theatrical.

Now would the "frat boys" have to prove all their claims to the court? It seems hard to believe they can prove all of their claims. Oh and apprently I heard that the girl who booked Borat on that news show is suing him as well. She got fired for booking him.

Watching as far as I have, I can see where a lot of people would want to sue him, especially with how much money the movie's making.

I liked the prostitute, though; she was rather sweet. Hilarious to see their etiquette try to end the dinner party like NOW.

I do wonder how many people were in on the joke after the cameras stopped rolling.

I'm certain the lawsuit will not make the courtroom, either through settlement or the releases will be ironclad, which more than likely is the case.

I saw the movie tonight, it was exactly what I thought, but goddamn was I dying.

would you reccomend this to someone who has never seen the character and doesn't really know anything about it? I've been thinking about seeing the movie based on all the damn buzz, but I'm leary cause by previews it seems like the kind of movie I could watch and just go "uh huh" throughout the whole thing

I especially enjoyed the testimonial of the woman whose life became a living hell after the allowed Cohen to be on the local TV news. She deserved to be fired on the spot. A five-second Google search would have revealed who Borat was.

Here is Borat with Martha Stewart on Leno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaOdjbdDE8

This was my favorite Borat appearance on a show like this, and not just the above bit, I'm talking about the entire thing. It just about became the Borat show since he was all over it. I'm shocked he didn't get in the way of Damien Rice also. Try to track down the entire episode, it's great.

Yeah but did the woman really deserve to be fired over a silly Borat appearance? It was foolish perhaps to not do much research, but he didn't really do serious overall harm to the show.

I just noticed TSM has changed, odd.

I don't know if she deserved to be fired, but she needed to be punished. Not because of Borat, but because of the fact that she was so careless in checking up on a guest.

It's a movie that offends and embarrasses Americans. It's called Borat and one of the scenes in the movie was filmed in Salem.

Carey Harveycutter runs the Salem Civic Center, the place where Sacha Baron Cohen staged one of his infamous pranks.

Back in January 2005, he tricked organizers into allowing him to sing the national anthem at a rodeo.

He purposely got the words wrong and criticized President Bush's war in Iraq.

The crowd clearly wasn't laughing.

Since then, the civic center has worked to make sure this type of prank never happens again.

Anyone wishing to sing the national anthem must now send an audition tape.

Nearly two years after the prank, Harveycutter can now laugh about the whole ordeal but he still feels Cohen's antics were inappropriate.

But Harveycutter still has a sense of humor. In fact, he wants to do a salute to Kazakhstan at the rodeo next year.

it's articles like this that make me hate this country. how ignorant and biased.

Every time you read an article about someone being outraged, they get what was actually in the movie all wrong. He wasn't criticizing the war, he was illustrating the bloodthirstiness of Americans with the escalating "May we bathe in their blood!"-type cheers, most of which the crowd actually went along with until they started getting weirder.

I agree the news woman needed punished, but there's 'punish' and then there's 'thousand dollars in debt'. She may be exaggerating in that one article, but still.

Another story reports that Dharma Arthur, the woman responsible for booking Borat on the show, says she lost her livelihood because of the incident. "I spiraled into depression, and before I could recover, I was released from my contract early. It took me three months to find another job, and now I'm thousands of dollars in debt and struggling to keep my house out of foreclosure. The upsetting thing is that a man who leaves so much harm in his path is lauded as a comic genius."

Given how much success the film is making, it shouldn't be too long before she sues. She would have a rightful case, actually.

I am amused that most of the people Sascha 'pranked', for the most part, shrug it off.

I'm not getting your point. It isn't because of the film, or even the station, that she hit hard times. It's because she was careless on the job. Just like the other people, she wont have a case either.

The station let her go because she put the business at risk. Then again, maybe they didn't fire her for that. It says that she spiraled into depression, and before she could recover, she was released from her contract early. Perhaps she could shake it as just being a joke, like most everyone else who have encountered Borat or any of those other characters, and she herself let that affect her performance on the job.

As stated before, she would have known not to do it in the first place if she just used her head and did a quick search on Borat, not to mention that she could have actually read all of the paper work that she, just like everyone else involved, was given.

Finally saw the movie tonight (in a packed theatre for a 7:30 showing - would seem the movie still has legs, which is awesome). Awesome stuff, everyone seemed to love it, and the audience was very diverse in terms of age - it reminded me of waiting in line for the Colbert Report. Laughs all the way through. I won't say I laughed more than I did during Clerks II, but it's definitely one of the top movies I've seen this year.

Friday estimate: $9,925,000

No.

No.

I'm sorry, no.

But feelings in Glod are running so high that The Mail on Sunday saw angry villagers brandishing farm implements chase out a local TV crew, shouting that they had enough of being exploited.

:lol:

I thought it was interesting that the village was mostly a bunch of gypsies, considering the way Borat badmouthed gypsies in the film.

As far as the villagers go, at least they are getting some press now in regards to how shitty the conditions are in the area. I hardly think anyone watching the movie takes it literally.

That link about what's real in Borat isn't actually showing anything for me.

Does anyone which was fake? I could have sworn the news story was fake, I can't imagine someone not stopping him from going into the weather report. I kept trying to figure out which was real and which wasn't.

That link about what's real in Borat isn't actually showing anything for me.

Does anyone which was fake? I could have sworn the news story was fake, I can't imagine someone not stopping him from going into the weather report. I kept trying to figure out which was real and which wasn't.

Click on the "Salon" logo on the upper left, stare at an ad for a GM truck until it re-directs to the site, then find the story. That's how I had to do it (you can also register for free).

I had a great time watching this! Anybody who gets offended gets what they deserve! They should have known what they were getting themselves into.

My favorite part was with Pamela Anderson and my favorite line was "We support your war of terror!"

Just saw the movie. Holy shit is it ever great. Screw the frat boys, If is was the guy at the rodeo, I would be pissed.

I don't have much sympathy for the guy at the rodeo. The frat boys didn't really say much that was all THAT shocking to me, since if you know those kind of guys the behavior isn't that odd. The guy at the rodeo lectured Borat on not looking too Muslim, and also basically said he wanted all homosexuals taken out and shot.

The things I find repeatedly amazing about this film are: 1) Why do these people actually agree to participate in a dubious Kazakhstan documentary? 2) After meeting Borat why do none of them realize he's putting them on? 3) Why do they say all this stuff with a camera present?