TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sho Funaki

WWE 24/7

In the Austin vs Michaels match, Howard Finkel's announcement of the "World Wrestling Federation referee" banning HHH and Chyna from ringside is obviously overdubbed, are there many cases like this ?

It's nice seeing the old Raw and Nitro shows again. I remember being genuinely concerned about Bart injuring Billy during their match (it was during my young mark days) and man, did Hogan always got his ass kissed real good in all of the Nitros. December to Dismember, apart from the opener, sucked. I expected to kind a "so good it's bad" type of show, but it was just boring. The old Boston show was good though, I loved the old 80's tag division.

yep may cases of overdubbing, in the wm 3 dvd and I guess the one on 24/7 howard overdubs introing Steamboat in the prematch video package when he made his return to the ring from injury (I guess due to having to dub his music)

This week we get Wrestlemania XIX, an episode of NWA, an episode of ECW, and a new Monday Night Wars. This is quite the disappointing month. I've seen every Wrestlemania. I'm honestly tired of the over hype for the older shows.

The ECW show has my favourite Cactus Jack promo on it. I know I have it on DVD somewhere, but it's still great. The clips from Sandman vs Mikey were pretty good too and the 6 man tag match in the cage seemed like a big mess. As usual, Tazz and Joey were good.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I tuned in this morning only to see Wrestlemania 19. I don't know why they waste their time with that stuff, you'd think they'd understand that only the most dedicated of the hardcore fans are watching this stuff, and most of them would probably have a show like that already on DVD.

That's because it is the Pick Your Big One on 24/7, thus proving my point about people voting on the poll being morons. Everyone has seen stuff like WM 19, why see it again?

He'll legdrop you when you're sleeping.

He'll chokeslam you when you're awake.

He'll powerbomb if you've been bad or good

So run away for Heaven's sake.

The Sid carols are gold. I thought Raw was pretty good from an entertainment point of view (none of the 'wrestling' was particularly strong) while Nitro seemed dull but with better wrestling, though Benoit/Eddie and Malenko/Regal were both kind of let downs. The key points on Raw for my nostalgic entertainment value were as follows:

-Debut of HHH's 2nd theme

-Hot Sunny

-A New Rockers appearance

-The beginning of the short lived Mexican Invasion.

-The return of the Honky Tonk Man.

Rocky/Sincere had some really weird spot where, IIRC, Rocky ducked a clothesline and bounced off the ropes, then just stared at Sal. He then bounced off the ropes again while Sal just stood there and took a clothesline. Seemed like an odd spot to keep on a taped show.

I remember being all psyched at the for the HTM protege angle as rumours eventually began swirling it would be Rick Rude or Disco Inferno.

In all honestly I can't think of an Eddie/Benoit match that I ever really, really liked. They faced each other a bunch of times, but I am drawing a blank on any sort of classic that took place on US soil. I can think of good Eddie/Malenko matches and good Benoit/Malenko matches though, thus proving that Dean Malenko = God.

Check out the NWA episode that is on there now. The Magnum/Dusty vs. Andersons stuff on there is dynamite. Probably the best NWA episode I've seen on 24/7 thus far.

The previous Eddie/Benoit match from November 96 was good (I seem to remember) and I like the one from 95 on the Benoit DVD.

Is that Tombstone jobber on Nitro 911?

Edit: Yes, yes he was.

ust watched PTW from the week before wm 3, right now Im recording the hbk/austin match for mshorties onto the end of a dvd.

Wanna watch the new ecw ep or MNW later.(thankfully I saw the last MNW before it expired)

I'd like a few ECW PPVs as well...I'm getting a little sick of WWE nickel and diming their video library.

How about a weekly OVW/DSW show? I mean, I hear it's pretty crappy these days, but it'd still be nice to see future prospects.

Fuck it...they just need to come out with a real cable channel already!

I also prefer the OnDemand concept but until people realize digital cable combined with on demand movies, shows, etc. is the way to go, people will have technology (read: DirecTV) that will make them unable to subscribe to 24/7, which is unfortunate.

watched the latest NWM...Nitro was pretty good, I lvoed the Sting stuff until, of course, it went on for OVER A YEAR. Rey and Jerry Lynn (as masked J.L.) had a fun match. The Benoit/Woman/Sullivan stuff is too bizarre. Flair being Flair is always great. Raw was pretty blah, they have a really cruddy undercard, which isn't exactly news to anyone. I love asshole HBK and it's fun seeing Bret's slow heel turn.

Couple questions for you fellas:

-would you consider Hogan, at anytime in his career, a good promo guy? I tell you what, as a kid, I got so into his Hulkamaniac rants. His Hollywood Hogan character can be annoying, but he sometimes gets out some funny stuff.

-today, in 2007, would Glacier's wrestling style be over with the crowds? I don't mean his silly gimmick, I simply mean his style. Seems nowadays, crowds like guys doing stiff kicks and such.

I've never considered Hogan a bad promo in his early days. Nonsensical maybe, but entertaining. Some of his heel WCW stuff (a lot of which I'm now seeing for the first time) seems odd. Why does he bring up starring in crappy movies like 3 Ninjas at Megamountain as a good thing?

The Iron Sheik legends roundtable (which was not properly uploaded to my system it's first run) was great. Is it me (and spman, who first told me to look for it) or did Sheik not once but twice call Mean Gene an "intelligent jew" (the second time was "intelligent jew businessman")? I couldn't stop laughing.

watched the current edition of PTW...now I know when Demolition first started, some other guy was Smash, not Barry Darsow...however, I can't tell if this guy was Darsow or not. I want to say it is, mostly because he's wearing his elbow pad high enough to cover a certain tattoo that would remind the wrestling fans of his former Russian NWA persona.

watched the current edition of PTW...now I know when Demolition first started, some other guy was Smash, not Barry Darsow...however, I can't tell if this guy was Darsow or not. I want to say it is, mostly because he's wearing his elbow pad high enough to cover a certain tattoo that would remind the wrestling fans of his former Russian NWA persona.

The original Smash was Randy Cully, who was previously known as Moondog Rex. He only wrestled like three matches tops with Ax as a part of Demolition before being replaced with Barry Darsow in January 87. I have at least two different matches on tape around here with Original Smash, and you can barely even tell when they change wrestlers.

The Amazing French Canadians singing Oh Canada in French causing Tony and Larry to say "they're making up the words" was pretty funny in an ignorant way. Benoit saying "talk to the hand" was something else.

Looking at that Nitro in retrospect, the Horseman stuff was *so* bad in late 96. They were made to look like total goofs. Especially Benoit. The NWO came off so much cooler and hipper. And to think people were praising this angle at the time because Benoit was actually getting consistent air time and had a a somewhat linear storyline.

I don't think the NWO stands the test of time, like Hart Foundation vs U.S. storyline.

To me, it's more of a situation where when re-watching it, you know by this time period (almost 1997) the cool parts of the angle are mostly done and every segment is going to be a lot of babbling. When it was live, the babbling could have resulted in something cool and unpredictable.

Edit: The above is referring to the nWo.

Do you mean the Hart Foundation angle does hold up or doesn't hold up with time? I didn't get the wording. In retrospect I think WCW is a lot like a promotion such as World Class. They were doing sorta okay and then had that one mega angle that drew big money (NWO in WCW, Freebirds/Von Erichs in WCCW). But then once that angle was played out they had no other real good idea and then business flopped. I think it's better to build a company around the stars rather than the major angle.

Anyway, by Feb. 1997 I had stopped caring much about WCW. The WWF had kicked it into high gear by that point. The last thing I remember for about 6 months in WCW was the Piper goes to Alcatraz angle.

the thing that really killed WCW for me in 97 was stretching the Sting thing out so damn long. Even today, it's cool to watch the opening stages and I understand they wanted to save their biggest match for Starcade, but they still could have done so even with bringing Sting back in sooner. He could have gone through various NWO members at PPVs prior to Starcade before finally getting Hogan.

and it appears that the Hart foundation angle is held in highest esteem by mostly our canadian smarks here (for obvious reasons) though at the time I was saddened by my hero Bret turning into a bad guy who cheated and whined and said all his US fans had turned on him when it wasnt true

I suck I know