TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sho Funaki

WWE 24/7

going back to the flair/nwo thing....I remember not being able to get fall brawl 1997, and never ever having the chance to see it until a few days ago. A guy I know who sells tapes online sent me fall brawl 1997, and I remember thinking this is the best ppv I've never seen. I watched it, and while everything is all right, not really bad, I still love the curt hennig turn on the horseman during war games. It was just perfect, even if it was predictable. I bought it hook line and sinker back in 1997 when I watched nitro the night after the ppv to see if the horsemen won. I was so pissed when they showed stills of hennig turning and slamming the cage onto flair's head. I also heard that the door was rigged but failed and seriously injured flair, any info on that?

Please tell me that Bad News at least jobs to Hogan there. I used to flat out detest Bad News back then, and not in a "This guy is a heel so I should hate him" kind of way. It's more like "Why is this guy even going toe to toe and not getting beaten easily by guys like Hogan, Macho, and Piper?"

It was a funny twist on the usual Hogan finish -- Bad News had Hogan down and out, and cut a promo on him mid-match, closing with "It's ghetto blaster time, fool." Hogan ducked out of the way of the enzuigiri and yada yada yada. Funny stuff.

I wish I didn't have to wait until next month to get 24/7. I'd like to see this one again. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will YouTube it.

That was a pretty good match, probably the best Bad News match I've seen actually. The finish was of course amusing.

I still think they should have shown the Main Event show with the Twin Towers vs. MegaPowers.

March 7th Updates: December to Dismember, December 16/96 Monday Night War, new NWA episode, repost of the Piper "Legends" episode.

Not much this week (unless I'm missing something) but they put a LOT on last week that I still haven't watched (WCCW, CWF) that expires next week. The MNW is good this week. David Sammartino appears on Nitro! Crazy. I look forward to the ECW trainwreck. I skimmed it previously on a download and at the very least I know Hardys/MNM is good, hopefully the rest is so bad it's good.

So, yeah, Hardys vs MNM is fairly awesome but it was difficult to watch that PPV without heavy use of fast forwarding, especially the main event. I love Striker's gimmick, though. My audio for the main event was weird too, beginning with the Heyman promo (the audio was about a behind the video).

To expand a bit, the Elimination Chamber was a classic bit of Paul Heyman booking. Instead of placing the belt on your most popular star, you attempt to use the belt to elevate a wrestler, be it the Big Show or Justin Credible. You then place him in a match against another equally thought of wrestler. Of course, the fans won't want to watch a title match between two bleh wrestlers, so you put them in a multi-wrestler match and add your popular wrestlers to sell it. Then your popular wrestlers get eliminated first to piss off your fanbase when the original wrestlers are left.

I've mostly been quiet since I haven't seen the D2D show yet and also haven't checked out the new MNW show either. Conference tourneys are starting up and all.

At this point I think AWA is done until they have someone take over for Greg. There hasn't been a new episode since January.

I guess there will be a Prime Time deficit this month - I suspect there will be an episode next week, but it will be one that they just showed a few months ago (it's the lead-up to Mania III). Oh well.

At this point I think AWA is done until they have someone take over for Greg. There hasn't been a new episode since January.

Well heck, they're inducting Bockwinkel into their Hall.

alright....watched December to Dismember...I agree, it wasn't HORRIBLE, just kind bland. Sadly, when the divas are the highpoints of your PPV, you have some problems. Man that red outfit on Trinity, good freaking jesus christ lord! Oh and I'm in love with Aerial...oh yeah, big tittied gothic chick? I'm down!

Oh yeah, the show itself...eh...Hardyz/MNM was good, but the crowd was so flat for it, I hate when that happens to good matches. Fell asleep during Dreamer/Daivari. The Chamber match was kinda meh, definitely the worst one. CM Punk is starting to grow on me, however.

Thought I'd finally chime in. My cable company finally started offering 24/7 literally 2 days ago, and I've really enjoyed it so far. The biggest thing I've noticed is watching the Monday Night Wars. Back in the day, I was a solid WWF fan, I was aware of WCW, but I didn't pay much attention to them, and didn't really care. Watching it now though, right at the peak of the nWo in '96, it's like night and day. Nitro is bright, exciting, fresh, featuring solid wrestling and interesting storylines. RAW is bland, anemic, slow, and boring, featuring the same selection of worthless talent fighting the same squash matches. It's really no surprise at all that WCW was beating the piss out of them at this point, because they are leaps and bounds the better show.

Now my question is, do you think Vince watches this stuff now and realizes in hindsight how crappy his product was at that point in comparison? I'm sure he probably doesn't even have time to watch this stuff anyways, but still it's an interesting thought.

Oh yeah, and Psychosis vs Regal rocked!

I've said it previously but Nitro even at its peak had entirely too much wanking with worthless guys being tossed onto TV with no rhyme or reason. If anything I actually have a newfound enjoyment for the Raw shows of that time period while the Nitros aren't quite as good as I remembered.

The best territory stuff aside from the ECW episodes has to be World Class. The old NWA episodes are good for the mic work, but it's just squash matches mostly. WCCW has a few matches and they are usually quite athletic and entertaining, not to mention I'm digging the Flair/Kerry storyline on those 1982 shows.

I didnt watch wm 5 , then it expired but no biggee. I missed the msg show too so I wa smad,

I watched and recorded the new ecw episode, then the MNW for 12/9/96 before it expired weds. pretty cool to watch a full old nitro and raw, though it showed why nitro was way above raw, at least in that it felt live while raw felt so old and stale and the taped show that it was. the match quality pretty much sucked on both shows, at least RAW had a Taker/Mankind brawl. and it reminded me of how cool Jeff Jarretts wcw theme was. now I got it stuck in my head.

last night I recorded the SNME. Anyone else notice the audio sounded bad? anyhow in the middle of the rockers-busters match my cable box had to reboot for upgrades or some crap and I had to wait like 15 mins, that totally killed the momentum, but that match was solid. Hogan-Bad News was fun too, I had previously seen that match on a hulkamania tape I have. Savage being completely insane of course ruled too. Liz cut horrible promos though didnt she? The main event being Brawler-rooster was pretty weird. I like Heenan in the pre match promo saying how Brawler was a nobody but still better that Rooster. And the bizzare transformation of Rooster into acting like a real rooster happened here as well.

all in all good fun. Man I got to get my own box soon, otherwise Ill be stuck staying up late every night

only Issue i have with 24/7 is that at least on my cable, the picture tends to freeze a lot and the audio as well. sucks when you are trying to record it.

The main event being Brawler-rooster was pretty weird.

They always showed the matches out of the order they actually went on live on SNME. That's why Hogan was always on at the beginning or in the middle of the show. They knew a lot of people wouldn't (or couldn't) stay up until 1 am, so they front-loaded the show and kept the nothing matches until the end.

The main event being Brawler-rooster was pretty weird.

They always showed the matches out of the order they actually went on live on SNME. That's why Hogan was always on at the beginning or in the middle of the show. They knew a lot of people wouldn't (or couldn't) stay up until 1 am, so they front-loaded the show and kept the nothing matches until the end.

I figured as much. Just saying it was funny to see. I would have stayed up back then thats for sure, if onyl I knew waht wrestling was in 89 (I was still watching cartoons and ninja turtles was my obssesion of the time)

Random memory of interest to no one but me: This was one of only two SNMEs I had on tape until I cleared out my tape collection. The other was the one right after Summerslam 88 (Roberts/Rude, Hogan/Haku). After this one, my parents put cable in my room, so I just stayed up and watched them all at that point.

and what about the Dibiase/Blu eBlazer match from SNME? in that match he debuted the million dollar belt, and blazer actually had a prematch promo (which was eerie, because Owen said he would come at Ted from every angle, the top rope the barricades, and the RAFTERS) seeing the blazer always gives me a sick feeling. the match was too short though.

Guest Greg Valentine
alright....watched December to Dismember...I agree, it wasn't HORRIBLE, just kind bland. Sadly, when the divas are the highpoints of your PPV, you have some problems. Man that red outfit on Trinity, good freaking jesus christ lord! Oh and I'm in love with Aerial...oh yeah, big tittied gothic chick? I'm down!

Oh yeah, the show itself...eh...Hardyz/MNM was good, but the crowd was so flat for it, I hate when that happens to good matches. Fell asleep during Dreamer/Daivari. The Chamber match was kinda meh, definitely the worst one. CM Punk is starting to grow on me, however.

Does the Hardyz match really come across flat on TV? Dang, that's a shame. I was there live and that was easily the match the crowd was loudest for (aside from the anger during the EC). And I think I agree with the consensus. The Hardyz/MNM match is really good, the middle of the card is horribly bland, but that main event? Dreadful. That match single-handedly killed my interest in the ECW brand. I'm still mad about to this day. Seeing the best and most over workers eliminated first, having the match only go about 20 minutes and sending the crowd home 35 minutes early?! AAARGH!

and what about the Dibiase/Blu eBlazer match from SNME? in that match he debuted the million dollar belt, and blazer actually had a prematch promo (which was eerie, because Owen said he would come at Ted from every angle, the top rope the barricades, and the RAFTERS) seeing the blazer always gives me a sick feeling. the match was too short though.

Yeah when Owen said "rafters" I got a very eerie feeling followed by sadness.