TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sho Funaki

WWE 24/7

I read a review of the Piper / Orton TNT that said Piper cuts an odd promo while dropping insider terms. I was going to check it out anyway just to see how the show went with the heels hosting, but now I want to see this promo.

New Month!

If you own all of the WrestleManias, there is probably little new for you to watch in the "Big Ones" section this month, but fortunately they seem to be planning on showing surrounding shows leading up to the events.

New this week:

Hall of Fame - Snuka video piece plus two matches (6 man tag and vs. Backlund in a cage).

Big Ones - WrestleMania V and WrestleMania XV. Of note, WrestleMania V is listed as being 200+ minutes, making it the uncut version. Also a MSG house show from sometime in 89.

Specials: The SNME before Mania V, Hulk Hogan Anthology Part 1.

ECW-Territories - New ECW, CWF, and WCCW shows.

PrimeTime - Raw before WrestleMania XV

Shorites: Celebrity themed stuff from Mania.

I watched the 99 Raw last night and it was what I expected. Short matches, non-finishes, and Russo's fingerprints all over. That said, it was an entertaining nostalgia trip. I didn't even remember LOD still being around in 1999.

Holy shit, they are showing the Megapowers vs. the Twin Towers from SNME? I remember that show vividly as a kid and would love to see it again.

As far as the MNW goes, I agree with Lushus. I remember in like 1997 hearing Schiavone and Co. blather about being the #1 wrestling show and I thought "WTF is he talking about?" That's probably the biggest case of cognitive dissonance I've ever had. I couldn't fathom WCW actually being the #1 wrestling promotion. In fact I thought they were lying. My reaction was "The WWF might be a bit down but they are still obviously the #1 wrestling promotion."

The funny thing is that Nitro was only better than Raw conclusively from maybe May 1996 to November 1996. Once Bret got back and the Austin feud started Raw starting kicking into high gear again. Nitro led the ratings war for all of 1997, but I defy anyone to tell me what WCW even did that year on TV that was notable. Meanwhile I can tell you practically every major thing on Raw from 1997.

Sting hung out in the rafters...

For 52 episodes.

ha! yeah that pretty much sums up my memories from Nitro 97!

Question: Did Flair ever have any official matches against the NWO? I seem to recall him being abssent, be it politics or injuries during most of their run...right?

"Did Flair ever have any official matches against the NWO?"

Ric Flair and Chris Benoit main evented Nitro in a WCW World Tag Title Match against the Outsiders. Nash pinned Benoit after a big boot of death.

Flair worked Syxx on the house show tour during Summer '97, and Road Wild '97.

Flair & Hennig worked Konan and Syxx at Clash 35. And had another Vs. nWo tag on Nitro together.

Flair Vs. Hennig was on PPV during the fall of '97.

Flair Vs. Hogan for the WCW World Title was Clash 33's main event.

Plenty more. Flair Vs. Hogan main evented SuperBrawl 9. And UnCensored '99. And Flair/Hollywood/Sting/DDP at Spring Stampede '99.

Flair Vs. Bischoff at Starrcade '98.

The SNME is not the one with Megapowers vs. Twin Towers, it is the event the following month. It's quite a good show, with Hulk Hogan vs. Bad News Brown, Rick Rude vs. Brutus Beefcake, Ted DiBiase vs. Owen Hart, Rockers vs. Brainbusters and Terry Taylor vs. Brooklyn Brawler. Watching the clip preceding Taylor/Brawler, I'm surprised they didn't make more out of Brawler striking Gorilla Monsoon with a stool.

Please tell me that Bad News at least jobs to Hogan there. I used to flat out detest Bad News back then, and not in a "This guy is a heel so I should hate him" kind of way. It's more like "Why is this guy even going toe to toe and not getting beaten easily by guys like Hogan, Macho, and Piper?"

I might watch that show, never have seen it that I recall. The question is, why are they NOT showing the Main Event with the Megapowers vs. Twin Towers? It's kinda one of the most important shows of the 1980s and I still vividly remember it.

In reading next month's preview, some interesting things are going on:

The theme is "Manager Mayhem".

The new Legends roundtable is JR, Mick Foley, Michaels Hayes, Jerry Lawler and Eric Bischoff. They will be discussing Austin vs McMahon and Hennig vs Bockwinkel in the first episode.

It looks like Hall of Fame, ECW-Territories, and Primetime sections are being merged / re-branded as "Legends" and "Classic TV". I like that.

I never really got Bad News Brown as a kid either. He just seemed like another big evil looking bad guy who yelled a lot. I guess I caught him at the end of his WWF run, though.

Actually, it's funny someone mentioned the Megapowers vs Twin Towers match...that was actually the match that got me hooked on pro-wrestling, though I had seen a little before that.

from what I understsand about Bad News, you have to know him during his Stampede days as Bad News Allen, where he was similar in character (though maybe not as extreme) as Steve Austin.

I'm not getting any of th Big Ones right now, which is one of the main reasons I'm even subscribing. Somebody better fix that.

from what I understsand about Bad News, you have to know him during his Stampede days as Bad News Allen, where he was similar in character (though maybe not as extreme) as Steve Austin.

Yeah, I've heard his Stampede work was a lot better, too.

I missed out on sprong stampede oh well. I already have the wms on vhs but Ill probably try to record both the wms on there this week. I started to watch wm 5 and got to the rockers vs towers match and yes, they are still editing out "jive soul bro" CRIMINAL!!!!!! and on the pre wm 15 raw, they edited out the old "thorn in your eye" theme music for generic rock?

24/7 Online (http://www.wwe.com/subscriptions/247online/march/) is a big WM collection this month (as I believe it is every March).

I FF'd through Mania V (I already watched it on an old VHS a week ago) to look for music edits. I guess this would be the version they released on DVD last year since it has that stupid "WWE" overdub by Hogan when he's talking about his match with Savage. It would also explain why Demolition's perfectly acceptable on 24/7 theme music was edited out, although as I mentioned with Spring Stampede, certain songs seem to be edited out / not edited out on a random basis. I'm glad the Rogeau's theme made the cut.

SNME was good - Owen/Dibiase and Rockers/Brainbusters were great stuff and very fast paced and exciting, especially for that time period in the Fed. Owen's promo about how he'd "even go up to the rafters" was one of those unfortunate retrospective deals, though.

For those who have asked about Time Warner Cable potentially picking up WWE 24/7 Video on Demand and what they can do to help along the process, you can direct all requests to:

ROBERT WATSON

VP PROGRAMMING, NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

TIME WARNER CABLE

120 E 23RD STREET 9TH FLOOR

NEW YORK, NY 10010

We've noted this before but have received a number of queries in recent days. There's no word on when the cable system may pick up the programming.

I watched the February 89 MSG show - that's two for two so far in a MSG house show on 24/7 featuring Savage going over Warrior in the main event. Good match, too.

"Jive Soul Bro" was in full effect for the house show, so more randomness in terms of what does / does not need to be edited.

Having watched that Raw from March 1999 and also the SNME from March 1989, I can safely say that the late 1980s bitchslaps the piss out of the Russo Attitude era. On that SNME show they had quality matches, the main awesome Megapowers storyline, etc.

I watched the February 89 MSG show - that's two for two so far in a MSG house show on 24/7 featuring Savage going over Warrior in the main event. Good match, too.

That was some righteous heat during the Warrior/Savage match.

The SNME is not the one with Megapowers vs. Twin Towers, it is the event the following month. It's quite a good show, with Hulk Hogan vs. Bad News Brown, Rick Rude vs. Brutus Beefcake, Ted DiBiase vs. Owen Hart, Rockers vs. Brainbusters and Terry Taylor vs. Brooklyn Brawler. Watching the clip preceding Taylor/Brawler, I'm surprised they didn't make more out of Brawler striking Gorilla Monsoon with a stool.

Shit man, I was cracking the fuck up when Brawler laid Gorilla out with that stool. Gorilla looked like he was gonna kick Bobby's ass, and then WHAM!?! Terry Taylor looked like a fucking goof.

The debut of Rey Mysterio, Psicosis, and Austin on the ECW show was a great trip down memory lane. Oh and Scott Steiner cut one of those famous promos he is known for. When I checked wwe 24/7 two days ago, my eyes lit up. I was amazed at all the great stuff on there. Cant wait for next week.