TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/7 - 11/10

Here are the potential Automatic Bids for the Playoffs. Lots of close races. Leagues to watch = Big Sky, Ohio Valley, Patriot, and Southland.

Atlantic 10: Massachusetts (7-0 conference), James Madison (6-1 conference), or Maine (5-2 conference, outside shot looking in). All three teams have conference games and it's really down to Massachusetts and James Madison. JM plays a tougher opponent in Towson while Massachusetts plays 1-6 Hofstra. Massachusetts should take the automatic bid.

Big Sky: Montana (7-0 conference), Montana State (6-1 conference), or Portland State (6-2 conference, outside shot looking in). Montana and Montana State square off in conference play with the winner of that game likely deciding who gets the automatic bid.

Gateway: Youngstown State (6-1 conference) or Illinois State (5-1 conference). Illinois State with a win could tie Youngstown State at 6-1. Youngstown State won their game during the season 27-13 so Youngstown State should take the bid here.

MEAC: Hampton (7-1 conference) or Delaware State (6-1 conference). Delaware State with a win could tie Hampton at 7-1. Hampton beat Delaware State 29-14 in their season matchup so Hampton will likely take the bid here.

Ohio Valley: Eastern Illinois (6-1 conference), Tennessee-Martin (5-1 conference), Tennessee State (5-1 conference). All three teams have one conference game left. If Eastern Illinois loses, that gives Tennessee-Martin a chance to take the bid. If both EI and TM lose, Tennessee State has an outside chance at grabbing the bid.

Patriot League: Lehigh (5-0 conference) or Lafeyette (4-1 conference). Lehigh and Lafeyette play each other in a huge game. If Lafeyette wins, that could give them the automatic bid.

Southern: Appalachian State (7-0 conference) has locked up the automatic bid.

Southland: Sam Houston State (4-1 conference) or McNeese State (4-1 conference). Both teams are playing conference opponents who are 2-3 in conference play. If one team wins and the other loses, the winner likely clinches the automatic bid. If both teams win or both teams lose, McNeese State will likely take the bid because they beat SHS 31-18 during the season.

About the Ohio State/Michigan situation and if there should be a rematch, if Michigan beats Ohio State under no circumstances should their be a rematch. Why should Michigan be forced to beat them again on a neutral field after beating them on the road? That was why I dreaded a potentional Ohio State/Texas rematch as OSU already beat them convincingly on the road.

Coaches Poll has been released...West Virignia is #7, Rutgers is #8. The hell?

Link

Well, to be fair, if West Virginia and Rutgers played on a neutral field, WVU would probably be favored. Still though, as a mechanism that helps determine the national champion, and based on resume, it's completely unfair for West Virginia to be ahead of Rutgers.

I was also kind of surprised that Arkansas didn't jump Notre Dame, as the Hogs are the hot team with most of the media, and they had a really convincing win last night whereas the Irish haven't played a decent team since losing to Michigan. Guess I shouldn't be though, with all the hype the Irish get.

Also, with as far as USC jumped here (only 8 points behind Florida), they'll be the new #3 in the BCS barring a really unexpected result in the Harris poll. Looks like Glendale might be theirs to lose right now.

It seems ridiculous that the USC/Notre Dame winner will probably make it to the NC game because that would leave the Florida/Arkansas winner out (I'm assuming neither team loses before they meet for the SEC title). If Michigan loses next Saturday I don't think I'll be all that excited about watching the game to decide the champ since there's going to be a huge controversy about who ended up at the # 2 spot and I hate OSU.

New Coaches Poll

1. Ohio State (62) 11-0

2. Michigan (1) 11-0

3. Florida 9-1

4. USC 8-1

5. Notre Dame 9-1

6. Arkansas 9-1

7. West Virginia 8-1

8. Rutgers 9-0

9. LSU 8-2

10. Wisconsin 10-1

11. Texas 9-2

12. Louisville 8-1

13. Boise State 10-0

14. Wake Forest 9-1

15. Auburn 9-2

16. Oklahoma 8-2

17. California 8-2

18. Georgia Tech 8-2

19. Virginia Tech 8-2

20. Boston College 8-2

21. Maryland 8-2

22. Nebraska 8-3

23. Tennessee 7-3

24. Brigham Young 8-2

25. Clemson 8-3

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Oregon 72, Hawaii 65, Texas A&M 29, Georgia 19, TCU 7, Houston 7, Missouri 4, Tulsa 3, Kansas State 3, Texas Tech 2, Middle Tennessee State 1, CENTRAL MICHIGAN 1.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS

Oregon 20, Texas A&M 23.

Edit: Here is the AP Poll

It seems ridiculous that the USC/Notre Dame winner will probably make it to the NC game because that would leave the Florida/Arkansas winner out (I'm assuming neither team loses before they meet for the SEC title). If Michigan loses next Saturday I don't think I'll be all that excited about watching the game to decide the champ since there's going to be a huge controversy about who ended up at the # 2 spot and I hate OSU.

ND wouldnt leapfrog a 1 loss Michigan...now a 1 loss Ohio State...thats a possibility...even though theres no chance of us winning at Columbus by 26

If Michigan loses next week by more than 4 points they'll end up one spot behind ND in both human polls.

By hook or by crook Notre Dame will play for the title if they win out.

Any doubt that USC will be #3 in the BCS is gone now as the Harris Poll has them hopping Florida to #3. Rutgers did get a little more respect here finishing at #7.

Link

Let me get this straight. U of L loses on a last second FG to an unbeaten team on the road and falls 8 spots in the fucking coaches poll. And of course falling behind WVU, who we just beat. Is there any doubt college football is the most disgraceful sport on the face of the earth when it comes to blatant corruption?

Fuck it, we're still going to the BCS. Cincinnati, you've got to come through and beat Rutgers. Then WVU will obviously crush them to end the season, thus U of L can go 11-1 and have the tiebreaker.

That looks about right. All of the top 8 have critical games against someone else in the top 8, and that pretty much guarantees at least 2 teams will be pissed off. If ever we needed a playoff, this is the year.

Let me get this straight. U of L loses on a last second FG to an unbeaten team on the road and falls 8 spots in the fucking coaches poll. And of course falling behind WVU, who we just beat. Is there any doubt college football is the most disgraceful sport on the face of the earth when it comes to blatant corruption?

Fuck it, we're still going to the BCS. Cincinnati, you've got to come through and beat Rutgers. Then WVU will obviously crush them to end the season, thus U of L can go 11-1 and have the tiebreaker.

1. Where exactly is the "corruption" here? I disagree with the voters who ranked WVU ahead of Louisville, but it's not like they have some kind of agenda in doing so. The "power ranking" type aspect of poll votes is hardly anything new.

2. What does it matter? If Louisville wins the Big East, they play in a BCS game regardless of where they are ranked. If they don't, they likely arn't playing in one. They almost certainly won't get picked for an at-large berth with OSU/Michigan, Notre Dame, and Boise State likely to take 3 of the the 4. And they arn't going to play in the title game regardless of what happens so their ranking is irrelevant in that respect.

USC will not go to the Title Game. Rankings be damned.

Florida will hop them if they beat Arkansas, provided Arkansas stays a 1 loss team up until the SEC Title Game.

USC shouldn't be ahead of Florida as it is, so beating Notre Dame who is ranked higher than Arkansas will be sufficient to get them there regardless of what the Gators do between now and then.

An Arkansas loss hurts USC.

Regardless, I'm convinced that USC is not going to beat Cal and Notre Dame.

EDIT: Meaning they will lose one of those games.

A few things:

1. Honestly, West Virginia's better than Louisville. The Cardinals have the biggest home/road difference in the country in terms of how they play, (18 points better on average at home vs. on the road), West Virginia played as bad of a game as they possible could, and UL still only won by 10. On principle, I'm keeping WVU behind UL until they beat Rutgers, but at the end of the year, I'll probably give them the better spot too.

2. It does matter where Louisville and West Virginia are ranked in the BCS, since that's the tiebreaker that determines who wins the conference. Unless Rutgers loses to Cincinnatti this week, the voters and computers will determine the Orange Bowl berth.

3. If USC wins out, they're in. They're going to be getting more and more votes each week if they beat Cal and Notre Dame, and ESPN etc., continue sucking off the whole team. Yeah, Florida might make up a little ground with the computers when they beat Arkansas, but it won't be enough to make a difference. An undefeated Rutgers team might be able to jump them if Arkansas and Florida both loses, and they get to #4 in the polls, but it would be a tricky proposition.

4. Florida will still play the OSU/UM winner for the national championship. Seriously, the only real teams USC played are Arkansas with a gimpy McFadden two QBs ago, and a Nebraska team that was so scared of them, they wouldn't even throw the ball, and they still managed to pick up a loss (to shitty OSU). I really don't see them beating both Cal and Notre Dame. As for Rutgers, they're losing to the Mountaineers Dec. 2. Enough said.

If Michigan loses next week by more than 4 points they'll end up one spot behind ND in both human polls.

By hook or by crook Notre Dame will play for the title if they win out.

under no circumstances would that happen...give the pollsters more credit than that

Oh I think ND if they win out definitely would play for the title. I don't really see it happening, but it could happen.

Here is my point about why this stuff is corrupt. Whether or not WVU may or may not be better than U of L is irrelevant. U of L beat them. Think about the logic here of the BCS. U of L and WVU may both finish 11-1. U of L has the head to head win....and yet WVU goes to the BCS? Is there anyone who can defend something this utterly retarded?

Want more corruption? U of L finished #10 in the BCS in 2004. Conveniently the rules were changed this past year to where someone ranked #12 from a non BCS league can go. That is the biggest fraud of the BCS, namely who actually gets in it. Notre Dame can finish #14 and still be considered over a U of L team that could finish #6 or so in the BCS standings.

There absolutely has to be some kind of rule saying that one team ranked higher in the BCS cannot be passed over for a lower ranked team in terms of selecting the at large teams.

Here is my point about why this stuff is corrupt. Whether or not WVU may or may not be better than U of L is irrelevant. U of L beat them. Think about the logic here of the BCS. U of L and WVU may both finish 11-1. U of L has the head to head win....and yet WVU goes to the BCS? Is there anyone who can defend something this utterly retarded?

How is that retarded? How else do you propose to break a three-way tie where each team has a win and a loss against the other two?

It sounds to me like Cabbage is in complete and utter denial that Louisville lost to FUCKING RUTGERS. The scenario that the Big East has in place in case of a three-way tie is for the best.

Also, Louisville has a chance at an automatic bid, just by winning their conference where they could theoretically be ranked much lower than #14. Thus, it's only fair that Notre Dame has a chance to get their "automatic" bid with a slightly less stringent regiment than an at-large team. All this "OMG, Notre Dame could get an at-large berth over a better team" hysteria would be tamped down if people just pretended that Notre Dame is in a conference called "I-A Independents" and they won it.

And really, cabbageboy, Louisville beat WVU because they were at home, just like Rutgers beat Louisville because they were at home, and just like West Virginia will beat Rutgers when they're at home. Trying to pretend it's a massive conspiracy if the Mountaineers get in and the Cardinals don't is just silly. If anything, the tiebreaker should be non-conference schedule, and Maryland is much better than anyone that UL or RU faced.

Also, the reason they changed the rules with regards to the BCS is that they added a game. It makes sense that it should be easier to get into one of 5 BCS games than it should be to get into one of 4. Sorry, but none of your points are valid and you're just coming off as a homer here.