TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/14 - 11/18

My guess, not that this justifies it or anything, is that LSU scored 13 4th quarter points to come back from a 20-7 deficit. They shouldn't have been in that position at home to a 27-point underdog, but maybe that was the rationale.

UCLA beats Arizona State which creates an interesting situation as there are now eight Pac-10 teams with at least six wins but they have only six guarenteed bids. The Poinsettia Bowl has an open bid and that would seem like a good fit for a Pac-10 team. The only other option after that is the Motor City Bowl which will have an open bid as the Big Ten won't be able fill it. Quite possible Wazzu or the loser of the ASU/U of A game could be left sitting at home, not that anyone should feel sorry for any 6-6 team not getting a bowl game.

Just wanted to quote that for the people who think the Pac-10 is a weak conference.

Eight bowl eligible teams. Eight.

Oh, and here are the Sagarin conference rankings:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc06.htm

One last thing... iggy, you're out of your mind. That is all.

Terrible. Goddamn computers. Good thing USC's going to make an example out of Notre Dame and give us a championship game that's worth watching. Say all the "you wouldn't watch Michigan/Ohio State FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP?!" crap you want, the answer is no. We saw it yesterday.

Unfortunately at this point, it might not even matter. People and the computers are so in love with the rematch idea. It might take a huge assbeating of ND to maybe push them within .001 point of Michigan but not ahead.

Why are people so against a rematch. This type of thing happens in sports all the time. In the NFL, teams can play in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs, and no one gripes. I just don't feel like anyone can tell me that a team that loxt to Oregon State is more deserving to play for a national title than Michigan. I don't want to hear any crap about how USC played Nebraska, Arkansas, and two decent Pac-10 teams. Wisconsin is better than any team USC has played this season, outside of possibly Arkansas, and the Arkansas team that got smoked by SC, didn't have their best player, had no QB, and were just in all kinds of disarray. If USC beats Notre Dame at home, why does that automatically put them in front of Michigan. USC would get rewarded for beating a team, that Michigan utterly murdered on the road. The title game isn't about putting together the most appealing matchup for television ratings, its about putting together the two best teams. So be it if they happen to be in the same conference. Usually, I would agree with the fact that Michigan didn't win it's conference title, but here I don't think that argument applies as much, if at all.

Who's going to get the fourth at-large BCS bid? I'm assuming that Michigan, Boise State and Notre Dame will get the first three. It's a shame that Wisconsin can't go to the BCS, because they've had a really good season.

I would say (assuming Louisville and Florida win their conferences) that it will probably be LSU, leaving West Virginia and Arkansas out in the cold. Of course, if Arkansas wins the SEC, then it will almost certainly be Florida. The Big XII and ACC will likely be one-bid conferences in any event.

Why are people so against a rematch. This type of thing happens in sports all the time. In the NFL, teams can play in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs, and no one gripes. I just don't feel like anyone can tell me that a team that loxt to Oregon State is more deserving to play for a national title than Michigan. I don't want to hear any crap about how USC played Nebraska, Arkansas, and two decent Pac-10 teams. Wisconsin is better than any team USC has played this season, outside of possibly Arkansas, and the Arkansas team that got smoked by SC, didn't have their best player, had no QB, and were just in all kinds of disarray. If USC beats Notre Dame at home, why does that automatically put them in front of Michigan. USC would get rewarded for beating a team, that Michigan utterly murdered on the road. The title game isn't about putting together the most appealing matchup for television ratings, its about putting together the two best teams. So be it if they happen to be in the same conference. Usually, I would agree with the fact that Michigan didn't win it's conference title, but here I don't think that argument applies as much, if at all.

It's because the proponents of the BCS like to say that the regular season, especially the last month and a half or so, is a playoff. If you lose then, according to that logic, you don't deserve another shot. Never mind that that's about as logical as my ass.

Because rematches in college football are almost sacreliege and until there is a true playoff system I never want to see one in any bowl game. Michigan got their chance, they lost. It was close but there was nothing controversial about it and nothing to indicate that Ohio State wasn't the better team. Besides is losing to Oregon State on the road really worse than almost losing to Ball State at home?

Who's going to get the fourth at-large BCS bid? I'm assuming that Michigan, Boise State and Notre Dame will get the first three. It's a shame that Wisconsin can't go to the BCS, because they've had a really good season.

I would say (assuming Louisville and Florida win their conferences) that it will probably be LSU, leaving West Virginia and Arkansas out in the cold. Of course, if Arkansas wins the SEC, then it will almost certainly be Florida. The Big XII and ACC will likely be one-bid conferences in any event.

LSU will have to beat Arkansas as they'd have no shot with three losses. West Virginia has an oustide shot of cracking the Top 4 which would make them automatic qualifier.

Besides is losing to Oregon State on the road really worse than almost losing to Ball State at home?

Perhaps not (although I think so), but I think the combination of losing to Oregon State on the road, almost losing to Washington State on the road, almost losing to Washington at home, and almost losing to Arizona State at home is worse than almost losing to Ball State at home.

Go back and read the responses to the game in this thread. Ohio State looked poised to blow Michigan out of the stadium and the Wolverines were playing catch-up all game long. Outside of the opening drive where Ohio State's offense had yet to take the field, there was nothing to indicate that Michigan was better. They've already played, Michigan lost. Go to the Rose Bowl and be happy with a $4 million payout or however much it is the teams get for making it there. Using the Florida/Florida State example isn't valid since there was no dedicated system to determine a national champion at the time, only polls. Speaking of the polls, both that are factored into the BCS have USC as #2, and the computer average is what pushes Michigan up into that slot. One year people bitch about the computers, the next they embrace them. I understand that there are fans and all, but make up your damn minds.

Go back and read the responses to the game in this thread. Ohio State looked poised to blow Michigan out of the stadium and the Wolverines were playing catch-up all game long. Outside of the opening drive where Ohio State's offense had yet to take the field, there was nothing to indicate that Michigan was better. They've already played, Michigan lost. Go to the Rose Bowl and be happy with a $4 million payout or however much it is the teams get for making it there. Using the Florida/Florida State example isn't valid since there was no dedicated system to determine a national champion at the time, only polls. Speaking of the polls, both that are factored into the BCS have USC as #2, and the computer average is what pushes Michigan up into that slot. One year people bitch about the computers, the next they embrace them. I understand that there are fans and all, but make up your damn minds.

The reason Michigan is still ahead is because the polls are so close. It's just about a toss-up in the voters' minds in both polls. If they just put the ordinal rankings from each poll in the system, USC would almost certainly be second.

I was never part of the anti-computer crowd. I actually think every change they've made to the BCS has made it worse. The system that got Nebraska to the title game was way better than the one we have now. The computers should be able to take margin of victory into account, and they should be worth just as much as the polls.

This year though, I don't care what either one says. I just know that looking objectively at the two teams' resumes, Michigan is better than USC. Also, I think that if Michigan played USC's schedule, there's about a 90% chance they'd be undefeated right now, and if USC had played Michigan's schedule, there's a very good chance they'd have two losses right now.

Lame. I liked Saturday's game a whole lot but it wasn't a 3-point win like Texas over USC was a 3-point win. Ohio State won and shouldn't have to win again. Plus, as someone with no rooting interest in either team, I really, really don't want to see a repeat.

Guest Princess Leena

I'd prefer the old system if the computer rankings ever made sense. The year Nebraska reached the title game was because Oregon was ranked like 8th in half the computer polls, which was absurd. That in combination with the silly "quality win" addition.

How the fuck could LSU get a BCS bid at all? They are going to finish THIRD in the SEC West. I repeat third. It won't matter because Arkansas should dispatch them next week unless they phone it in (already being in the SEC title game, after all). No way should they get an at large over a WVU team that will be higher ranked than them, and more importantly, better than them.

At this point here is what the BCS might look like, provided USC can't get that #2 spot:

Title: OSU vs. Michigan II

Orange: U of L vs. Georgia Tech (I think they're the best in the ACC)

Fiesta: Boise St. (if they beat Nevada) vs. Texas (I'm assuming they win the Big 12)

Sugar: Arkansas (I think they can beat FL) vs. WVU (highest ranked at large)

Rose: USC vs. Wisconsin (Nobody seems to have Wisconsin in the BCS mix, but if the Big 2 play for the title they can sneak in the back door to maintain the Big 10 vs. Pac 10 tradition).

How the fuck could LSU get a BCS bid at all? They are going to finish THIRD in the SEC West. I repeat third. It won't matter because Arkansas should dispatch them next week unless they phone it in (already being in the SEC title game, after all). No way should they get an at large over a WVU team that will be higher ranked than them, and more importantly, better than them.

At this point here is what the BCS might look like, provided USC can't get that #2 spot:

Title: OSU vs. Michigan II

Orange: U of L vs. Georgia Tech (I think they're the best in the ACC)

Fiesta: Boise St. (if they beat Nevada) vs. Texas (I'm assuming they win the Big 12)

Sugar: Arkansas (I think they can beat FL) vs. WVU (highest ranked at large)

Rose: USC vs. Wisconsin (Nobody seems to have Wisconsin in the BCS mix, but if the Big 2 play for the title they can sneak in the back door to maintain the Big 10 vs. Pac 10 tradition).

There's a rule that says each conference can only send a maximum of 2 teams to the BCS. So Wisconsin is in the Corporate Whore Bowl no matter what happens at this point.

Since we are on the subject of BCS bids, here's my guess (partially forecasting the rest of the season):

BCS: Ohio State vs. Michigan

Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Rose: USC vs. Notre Dame

Orange: Georgia Tech vs. Louisville

Sugar: Arkansas vs. West Virginia

Key results:

-Notre Dame will beat USC next week. The game will be close, so the Rose Bowl will pick Notre Dame as an at-large due to rematch interest, prestige, and fanbase.

-Georgia Tech will beat Maryland/Wake Forest/BC in the ACC title game.

-West Virginia will beat Rutgers, giving Louisville the Big East title. They will get an at-large bid by virtue of finishing 4th in the BCS.

-Arkansas will beat Florida for the SEC title, but lose to LSU beforehand, removing themselves from title game consideration.

-Texas beats whoever in the Big 12 title game, BSU finishes undefeated.

I'm really pissed off. I got home and saw that USC was #3 during the Laker game and was fuckin' floored.

Fuck this system. USC will blow out Notre Dame. Mark that shit the fuck down.

I'm really pissed off. I got home and saw that USC was #3 during the Laker game and was fuckin' floored.

Yes, fuck a system that doesn't favor losing to a jobber from the Pac-10 over losing to the undisputed #1 team in the country a couple of weeks later into the season!

I'm not turning this into a "I'll whine, you'll read it and deal with it" thread, but that game was not that close.

I'll take USC's OOC schedule, thanks. If they get through Notre Dame, they deserve it. They don't, then they deserve to be playing in Pasadena. I don't like rematches at all, it's not just me being picky because it's USC. I'd feel better arguing about Florida in favor of both of those teams, even though they played WESTERN CAROLINA. Their resume is and would be more impressive if they won the SEC.

Yes, fuck a system that doesn't favor losing to a jobber from the Pac-10 over losing to the undisputed #1 team in the country a couple of weeks later into the season!

I say fuck a system that might match-up the Pac-10 champ against the Big Ten champ in some tacked on championship game instead of the Rose Bowl.

If Michigan gets a rematch, I don't know what I'll do. Unless there was just some controversial finish that created that asterisk to the game, they don't deserve it. If this was USC and Notre Dame from last year, I'd most certainly do that game again. Michigan/Ohio State? No way.

With the old bowl system, it would have been like this, correct?

Rose Bowl: USC v. Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl: Notre Dame vs Texas or Nebraska

Sugar Bowl: Michigan vs Florida

Orange Bowl: West Virginia/Louisville vs GTech or whoever wins that fucked up conference.

Fuck the BCS for robbing us of these games. Outside of the Orange Bowl, I don't give a shit about that.

Conference championship update. I'm basing this on head to head matchups.

ACC-Georgia Tech as clinched the Coastal Division.

Boston College, Maryland, and Wake Forest can still win the Atlantic.

Boston College is in with a win, and a Wake Forest loss to Maryland.

Maryland is in with a win, and Boston College loss to Miami

Wake Forest is in with a win.

Big XII

Nebraska as clinched the North

Texas wins, or Oklahoma loses they win the South

Oklahoma needs to win, and have Texas lose.

Conf. USA

Houston as clinched the West

So. Miss wins the East with a win vs Marshall

ECU wins the East with a So. Miss loss

MAC

Ohio vs Central Michigan

SEC

Florida vs Arkansas

Texas would be in the Orange Bowl in the old system with the Big XII/Big 8 champ always going there. So lame they abandoned that tradition a few years ago for the Arizona State Bowl.

And since we're talking bowl projections here are mine.

Guest Felonies!

Stop saying as instead of has. Do you have a learning disability? Serious question.

It's a fair question.

Maybe a slight case of asperger's disease, or symptoms related to the disease. Nothing that would explain my bad grammar and punctuation.

Since we are on the subject of BCS bids, here's my guess (partially forecasting the rest of the season):

BCS: Ohio State vs. Michigan

Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Rose: USC vs. Notre Dame

Orange: Georgia Tech vs. Louisville

Sugar: Arkansas vs. West Virginia

This is the least appealing prediction in my opinion. 2 rematches would completely blow.