TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Yeah, I'd say that is the case as well. Though Chad Jackson's knee injury could land him on the PUP list for next year, so that could necessitate them hanging on to Brown for one more year.

Guest Queen Leelee

bills sign a-train anthony thomas to a long term deal

i guess they plan on him starting next year

i'm fine with that

player deserves a full-time role, he did fine work last year and aint no bitchin' busta like billis

I sort of question the move as well. He hasn't been useful as a starting back since 2003. He performed okay during McGahee's injury last year, but his only standout game came against Indy and we all know about their run defense last year. They sort of backed themselves into a corner with the whole McGahee situation and now they're stuck with an inferior back.

Boston Herald says that Packers and Raiders are soon to announce a Moss trade.

Interesting if true. I wonder what the Raiders are getting in return. Does this mean they look at Calvin Johnson with the no. 1 pick?

Unless they were able to snatch him away from Oakland for pennies on the dollar, I don't really see this as being a good acquisition for the Packers. Not only are his physical skills in doubt, but Moss hardly seems to be a good match for Brett Favre (who openly derided his star receiver a couple of years ago for holding out) or the young corps of receivers that Green Bay is trying to develop. I'm sure that lots of sportswriters will make comparisons to Jordan/Rodman (if they haven't already) but I can't quite find that kind of optimism for a malcontent that hasn't topped 60 catches in three seasons.

Some interesting stuff on profootballtalk about that trade. Supposedly it's Aaron Rodgers for Moss:

MOSS DEAL HINGING ON CONDITIONAL PICK

There's a hitch that has emerged in the ongoing negotiations between the Packers and the Raiders regarding the terms of a potential trade of receiver Randy Moss to Green Bay.

We're told that the Raiders will only take quarterback Aaron Rodgers if there's also a conditional draft pick based on Rodgers' performance in 2007.

In short, if Rodgers doesn't perform, the Packers have to give up more in 2008.

The Packers' concern is that, because the Raiders have been so bad of late on offense, it's a given that Rodgers won't play well in 2007. Moreover, the Packers are concerned that the Raiders will bench Rodgers at some point during the season in order to ensure that a higher pick will come their way from Green Bay in 2008.

To resolve this potential impasse, we're told that the Packers are considering offering a 2009 conditional pick based on Rodgers' play in 2007 and 2008.

There's also some more stuff regarding Moss, Favre, and Calvin Johnson:

Packers quarterback Brett Favre is pushing the team to acquire Moss. If Moss goes, the door is open for Johnson to be taken with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Favre is represented by Bus Cook. Cook also is involved in the representation of Moss, and the Moss transaction depends in large part on Moss and his agents working out a restructured contract with Packers.

So if that gets done, then Johnson is poised to be the first guy off of the board.

His agent? Bus Cook.

This could really affect JaMarcus Russell. Where does he go if the Raiders take Calvin Johnson? Maybe to the Browns at 3? What about Brady Quinn, how far could he drop? All the way to the Packers?

Because the #1 overall pick is worth way, way, way more than Randy Moss. Remember the Giants-Chargers trade from a few years back? The Giants gave up a lot to move up only 3 spots to #1.

Giants received

* Rights to 2004 1st Overall Pick - Used to sign quarterback Eli Manning.

Chargers received

* Rights to 2004 4th Overall Pick - Used to sign Quarterback Philip Rivers.

* 2005 1st Round Draft Pick - Used to draft and sign Linebacker Shawne Merriman.

* 2004 3rd Round Draft Pick - Used to draft and sign Kicker Nate Kaeding.

* 2005 5th Round Draft Pick - Traded to Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Left Tackle Roman Oben.

The Packers would have to give up something ridiculous to move up to #1. According to the old trade value chart from pft, the Packers #16th overall pick is worth 1000 points, while #1 overall is worth 3000. The Pack would have to trade their 2007 1st rounder, 2008 1st rounder, and 2009 first rounder to move up to #1, which is a steep price.

Guest Vitamin X

So if Aaron Rodgers is getting traded.. Are the Packers hinging on getting David Carr at some point, too?

Jesus Christ, snuffy's right.. Moss, Driver, and Jennings is a hell of a receiving trio. Toss in a good QB for the future like Carr and we are SET on offense, especially if Green Bay drafts a stud at running back like Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson with their first rounder this year.

They'll also have a team with mad character issues, especially having Lynch and Moss on board.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and regarding Briggs, he decided he will NEVER PLAY ANOTHER DOWN FOR CHICAGO AGAIN. No, seriously.

Briggs again says he's finished with Bears

March 13, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs reiterated Tuesday that he will not play another down for the Chicago Bears and is ready to sit out next season after they designated him as their franchise player.

"There are a lot of different options, a lot of different decisions, that could happen as the season comes closer," Briggs told ESPN. "But that's one of those options."

That came a day after he told Foxsports.com: "I've played my last snap for them. I'll never play another down for Chicago again."

Briggs first revealed his feelings last week, when he told ESPN.com the team should remove the label or trade him and then informed a Chicago radio station he would do "everything that's within my power" to leave the Bears.

The franchise tag guarantees Briggs $7.206 million next season -- the average of the top five salaries for players at his position -- but it also deters other teams from signing him. The Bears could match any offer for Briggs or receive two No. 1 draft picks. If he sits out next season, the Bears could use the franchise tag again.

A third-round draft pick from Arizona in 2003, Briggs earned $721,600 in the final season of his first NFL contract after he reportedly rejected a six-year, $33 million offer last spring. He told ESPN the deal was for seven years, and he turned it down because it was "below market value."

Briggs led the team with 117 solo tackles -- 24 more than six-time Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher -- and the Bears reached the Super Bowl for the first time since the 1985 team won it all. But it's been a tumultuous offseason for Chicago.

Running back Thomas Jones was traded to the New York Jets last week. Coach Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo recently received contract extensions, but Smith's came after his agent said talks had stalled and that his client would likely leave next season, after his contract expired.

Meanwhile, Briggs and the Bears are locked in a staredown.

Angelo has said he has no plans to trade Briggs. Although a holdout would be expensive, Briggs told Foxsports.com he'll take out a loan to cover his living expenses next season if necessary.

"The $7.2 million -- although it's a good number, it looks nice -- there's no job security in it," Briggs told ESPN. "I played four years as a third-round draft pick. I played four years as a third-round draft pick at the league minimum, and there've been no talks of a contract negotiation this year. ... In my opinion, there is no intention on a long-term deal here.

"And if you don't have me in your plans for the long term, then I don't want to be here."

Hey Lance, know how to really stick it to Chicago? Sign with Green Bay for less than the Bears were offering. You'll be paired with AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett. Fuckin' sick, man.

The guy wants his 20$ million dollar payday. It makes sense, if an old worn-out Patrick Kerney can rake in 19.5$ million guaranteed, Briggs should land at least 20.

The Bears should just trade the guy to the Redskins for a 2008 first round pick or something. The Redskins have been making cap room for Dre Bly, a guy that Denver doesn't appear to be willing to part with...may as well use that room on Briggs.

Dude deserves his longterm deal.

I don't blame the guy for wanting financial security when he's good enough to warrant it. I'd take him on my team right now for big money. I'd give him Julian Peterson money. They are very similar players.

Maybe the Bears should trade him to Houston for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and David Carr. It might solve the whole quarterback problem and it lets Briggs go from the NFC champs to the dumpster that refuses to get an offensive line. I just don't think the Bears are going to give him the deal now and I doubt they get a #1 pick for him.

ESPN is reporting that the Bucs are talking to Charles Grant today. Do any Tampa fans know if there is actual interest there? I would hate to lose him, but for two first round pics including #4 overall this year, I think I could get over it.

So if Aaron Rodgers is getting traded.. Are the Packers hinging on getting David Carr at some point, too?

Jesus Christ, snuffy's right.. Moss, Driver, and Jennings is a hell of a receiving trio. Toss in a good QB for the future like Carr and we are SET on offense, especially if Green Bay drafts a stud at running back like Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson with their first rounder this year.

They'll also have a team with mad character issues, especially having Lynch and Moss on board.

I'm not sure if David Carr is the right fit for Green Bay. Maybe if Favre retires next March, but if the Packers have a great season and a strong offense why would he leave? There's no point acquiring Carr and having him rot on the bench behind Favre for two years.

I don't think they need to spend a first round pick on Marshawn Lynch, and Adrian Peterson should be long gone by pick 16. I think the Pack should sign Corey Dillon, and then draft a guy like Michael Bush or Kenny Irons in round 3 or 4. Favre, Dillon/Bush committee, Moss/Driver/Jennings, and maybe drafting a guy like TE Greg Olsen with their 1st round pick...add all of that to a young and improving O-Line, and the Packers could be a powerhouse.

Guest Vitamin X

People were saying the same thing about Maurice Drew last year, and he turned out pretty good.

I'm not sure if David Carr is the right fit for Green Bay. Maybe if Favre retires next March, but if the Packers have a great season and a strong offense why would he leave? There's no point acquiring Carr and having him rot on the bench behind Favre for two years.

I don't think they need to spend a first round pick on Marshawn Lynch, and Adrian Peterson should be long gone by pick 16. I think the Pack should sign Corey Dillon, and then draft a guy like Michael Bush or Kenny Irons in round 3 or 4. Favre, Dillon/Bush committee, Moss/Driver/Jennings, and maybe drafting a guy like TE Greg Olsen with their 1st round pick...add all of that to a young and improving O-Line, and the Packers could be a powerhouse.

Carr is a perfect fit for Green Bay. Yes, he's older than a good first round pick would be, but he's proven he could be outstanding with a young and improving team. I don't think Favre will play past this season at all. He's going to have almost every passing record unless something terrible and completely unforeseen occurs, and if it does, having Carr there would make even more sense than having.. who, Ingle Martin? Keep in mind trading for Moss means trading away Aaron Rodgers, so they HAVE to go out and get someone to replace him as the "heir". Greg Olsen would be a waste of a first round pick. They have Bubba Franks signed on, who, although he isn't what he used to be since signing a long term deal, is still a serviceable TE, and with having three strong wideouts on offense already (this is of course hinging on the Moss trade) all you need the TE to do is help block since the o-line might still need help and need to do some max protect schemes. Dillon isn't a good fit for Green Bay, especially if they're going to go for a speedy offense; they're going to draft someone fast out of the first round and probably alternate them with Vernand Morency and Noah Herron. True, it would seem like it makes sense to grab a bruiser, but since they're building around youth and for the future, having a young stud at RB who could service the franchise for many years would be a much bigger help than Dillon, who might already not be any good. I'm sure there's a good reason the Patriots released him.

At worst, again hinging on the Moss trade, I could see Green Bay going for either some secondary help (Al Harris and Charles Woodson aren't getting any younger, and the safety spot opposite Nick Collins has been unresolved for years now), some defensive line help to help against the run and rush the passer better, if they don't grab a running back or trade their 1st round pick. These are all things I think they'll try to acquire, by the way. They'll probably pick up a TE and maybe a QB as well to give the backups at the moment some competition.

Drew didn't have a backup behind him in college that took carries like Forsett.

If Kenny Irons' injury problems disappeared, it would be a no-brainer to take him over Lynch. In the 4th round, I take a shot at him. Drafting him and signing Dillon to a one year isn't so bad.

Carr is a perfect fit for Green Bay. Yes, he's older than a good first round pick would be, but he's proven he could be outstanding with a young and improving team. I don't think Favre will play past this season at all. He's going to have almost every passing record unless something terrible and completely unforeseen occurs, and if it does, having Carr there would make even more sense than having.. who, Ingle Martin? Keep in mind trading for Moss means trading away Aaron Rodgers, so they HAVE to go out and get someone to replace him as the "heir".

If Favre is really going to retire at the end of next season, then picking up Carr now makes a lot of sense. I also thought he was put in a really bad situation with Houston and could succeed in a different setting. I just figured that Favre might stick around again if the team does really well but doesn't win a Super Bowl next year. Say the Packers lose in the NFC Championship game, does Favre really walk away? If he sticks around for another season or two beyond this year, then trading a pick for Carr is a bad move.

Greg Olsen would be a waste of a first round pick. They have Bubba Franks signed on, who, although he isn't what he used to be since signing a long term deal, is still a serviceable TE

I thought Bubba Franks really, really lost a step last year. But if they using him primarily as a blocking TE, he might be ok.

and with having three strong wideouts on offense already (this is of course hinging on the Moss trade) all you need the TE to do is help block since the o-line might still need help and need to do some max protect schemes.

Good point.

Dillon isn't a good fit for Green Bay, especially if they're going to go for a speedy offense; they're going to draft someone fast out of the first round and probably alternate them with Vernand Morency and Noah Herron. True, it would seem like it makes sense to grab a bruiser, but since they're building around youth and for the future, having a young stud at RB who could service the franchise for many years would be a much bigger help than Dillon, who might already not be any good. I'm sure there's a good reason the Patriots released him.

Dillon supposedly wants to be a feature back, and that wasn't going to happen in New England with Maroney there. I personally think Bush or Irons could easily be young stud RBs. I think your backfield of Lynch/Morency/Herron would have issues early in the season, while Lynch is getting used to the speed of the NFL and learning blocking schemes and such. Lynch would not work on 3rd down, as he'd be a liability blocking and isn't much of a receiver out of the backfield. Morency is a young player too, and I'm not sure what kind of 3rd down back he'd be...what do you think? The idea with Dillon is that he could be in the game in whatever situation, and whatever young RB you have can spell him and be brought along slowly.

At worst, again hinging on the Moss trade, I could see Green Bay going for either some secondary help (Al Harris and Charles Woodson aren't getting any younger, and the safety spot opposite Nick Collins has been unresolved for years now), some defensive line help to help against the run and rush the passer better, if they don't grab a running back or trade their 1st round pick. These are all things I think they'll try to acquire, by the way. They'll probably pick up a TE and maybe a QB as well to give the backups at the moment some competition.

Safety seems like a good idea. I think you guys had Seahawks castoff Marquand Manuel starting, which isn't really ideal.

Thanks for the info above though...there's quite a bit I don't know about the Packers, and it's nice to read a bit more about them and their situation.