TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

Bikes.

As I alluded to in the rent thread, I'm thinking about getting a bike to ride around on some of the trails in northern Virginia and DC. I'm getting too tired after work to just sit around doing nothing, and I dislike gyms. I know jack shit about bicycles, as the last time I had one was probably at age 14. What do I want to buy and how much am I going to spend?

Eric, I'm mostly looking in your direction, but I'm figuring there are a few other gay biker types around here who can point me somewhere useful.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Just go to a garage sale. 15, 20 bucks probably. Might be a little rusty or beat up, but it'll work. With your rent costs, I can't see how you could afford a new one, nyuk nyuk.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Virginia: Agent of Oblivion New Years Sabbatical 2007.

You could just steal a bike. Be a good life experience.

Speaking of stolen bikes: I went to dinner with a few friends a couple weeks back at a restaurant in downtown DC. Right outside the restaurant, someone had chained his bike to a lamp post. All that was left was the parallelogram of the frame. Dudes took the pedals and everything. I was very impressed.

paul you make that much money a year?

i hate you.

my bike

its like sitting on a coach but riding a bike. comfy. if you want speed & trails, you may want to skip this. but if you want a leisurely bike ride with a cup of tea this is for you.

Only before taxes.

No, seriously, I don't make anything close to that. Some people at my company do, but they work 14-hour days. In Iraq. Reduce it down by a couple hundred thousand and you're more in my ballpark.

And you cruise in style, I must say.

I'd recommend a good hybrid as well.

If you can drop ~$500 you can get a very, very nice bike.

Invest in mud flaps if you ever intend to go out when it's not bone dry, let alone when it is raining.

I'm sure it will have reflectors. I dunno if you're supposed to have lights or not, but I never did... Get a pump and some lube and have the guy show you how to use them. Buy some spare tubes so if you have a blowout you don't have to take it back to the shop, and see if you can get the guy to show you how to switch out tubes.

Basically you want to be able to maintain it if possible. Learn how to tighten your brakes when they need it. If you're not going to get a covered chain lock, at least get a U lock.

Don't get a bmx bike please

Guest Vitamin X

I am going to be getting a singlespeed bike as soon as I get to Oregon, myself. Redline Monocog, not sure if I want to go with the steel or aluminum frame yet.

Singlespeeds are great for a couple reasons. It improves your conditioning because you can't just switch into a "granny gear" when you're going up hills and such, you have to work for it. It's also far less chains and disks and all other sorts of machinery because of the simple nature of the machine.

From what I hear also, the Monocog steel one is virtually indestructible, although heavy as fuck (but that could also be a virtue if you're trying to get in shape). They work excellent for mountain biking as well as commuting.

Are you talking about a fixed gear bike?

One without a spinner? One where you have to move your feet AT ALL TIMES?

Yes, less breakable parts. But are you enough of a biker to go down a hill on that???

Guest Vitamin X
Are you talking about a fixed gear bike?

One without a spinner? One where you have to move your feet AT ALL TIMES?

Yes, less breakable parts. But are you enough of a biker to go down a hill on that???

From my understanding, you can also do some fixin up (I'm not much of a bike guy either myself, not since I got a car at age 15-16, anyways) to still have it "freewheel" (that is, you still have control of the pedals when going downhill- not sure how this is done).

This is the bike I was talking about, and the more advanced, probably more pricey aluminum frame version.

Alot of people ride bikes.

Yeah when they're fuckin six.

Just messin around, i miss the days gone by of riding my bike down a ridiculously huge hill in Lynn, MA that had cross traffic and never knowing if I was going to die that day.