TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/21 - 11/25

LSU's receivers are abusing Arkansas right now, both with the ball and as blockers.

Dwayne Bowe gashed them for a 40-yard gain earlier then, on the next play. gave two key blocks that allowed RB Keiland Williams to go 30 yards for the TD.

Then, just now, Craig "Buster" Davis" just psyched out several Arkansas DBs to get a 47-yard TD reception that was about 30 in the air and another 17 on the ground thanks to good blocks.

This LSU-Arkansas game has been pretty crazy with a ton of huge plays.

-80 yard TD run for Arkansas by McFadden

-92 yard kickoff return for a TD for LSU by Holliday

-62 yard kickoff return for Arkansas by Jones

IN THREE CONSECUTIVE PLAYS!

Arkansas has something like 300 yards rushing and they are still losing by 11.

Bad, bad playcalling on that last gasp for Arkansas. I mean, with a running game that good, just go to McFadden and Jones. You get a first down with 10 yards, and McFadden could easily break a 70 yard run to win it. Much better than having Casey "sucks" Dick net his 12th-15th incompletions of the day.

Bad, bad playcalling on that last gasp for Arkansas. I mean, with a running game that good, just go to McFadden and Jones. You get a first down with 10 yards, and McFadden could easily break a 70 yard run to win it. Much better than having Casey "sucks" Dick net his 12th-15th incompletions of the day.

Yeah that was a pretty anticlimatic finish to an exciting game. LSU is positioned to maybe play in a BCS game depending on who wins and loses, while Arkansas needs to win the SEC championship game if they want to be there.

Nebraska ran a nice fake punt...they were in punt formation and then they shifted to a different formation. Taylor the QB lined up under center, walked away like he was gonna call timeout, and then the center direct snapped it to the RB who ran for the first down. Now they just scored a TD off that same drive.

Yeah that was a pretty anticlimatic finish to an exciting game. LSU is positioned to maybe play in a BCS game depending on who wins and loses, while Arkansas needs to win the SEC championship game if they want to be there.

BCS update-

League bids-

1. Ohio State is the Big Ten winner and gets an automatic bid

2. USC is the Pac Ten winner and gets an automatic bid

3. The winner of Florida-Arkansas will be the SEC winner and get an automatic bid

4. The winner of Nebraska and either Oklahoma or Texas will be the Big 12 winner and get an automatic bid

5. The Big East winner will be either West Virginia, Louisville, or Rutgers. Rutgers controls its destiny. West Virginia would need a win and a Louisville loss.

6. The ACC winner is still up in the air. It's up to Georgia Tech (already clinched a title game spot), Boston College, Maryland, and Wake Forest.

Automatic bids-

7. Michigan, finishing likely in the Top 4, gets an automatic bid

8. Boise State, finishing likely in the Top 12 as a non-BCS conference champ, as well as finishing in the Top 16 and better than the ACC champ, gets an automatic bid

*** 9. Notre Dame LIKELY gets a bid for finishing wherever they do. This COULD get overruled depending on the application of BCS rules, as I believe there are limits to the number of automatic bids.

Placement-

The Orange Bowl definitely gets the ACC champion because they're out of BCS title contention. The #2 team will be either the Big East champ or an At Large.

The Fiesta Bowl definitely gets the Big 12 champion because they're out of BCS title contention. The #2 team will be Boise State, if they qualify, because the Fiesta gets the last shot at all At Large teams.

The Sugar Bowl gets the SEC champion. Florida can still go to the title game, while Arkansas would not go anywhere else.

The Rose Bowl gets at least 1 At Large team because Ohio State is going to the BCS Title Game. They have a chance at another one if USC goes to the BCS Title Game as well.

The BCS Title Game gets Ohio State and one other team, to be determined from Michigan (At Large), Florida (if SEC champ), USC (Pac Ten champ), and Notre Dame (At Large).

Michigan and USC have the inside track because Florida's game with Arkansas is now less desirable and Notre Dame would have a hard time passing a Michigan team that beat them soundly this season.

Likely matchups, assuming USC and Florida win out and USC goes to the title game-

BCS Title game - Ohio State vs. USC

Rose Bowl - Michigan vs. LSU

Orange Bowl - Georgia Tech vs. Louisville

Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma vs. Boise State

Sugar Bowl - Florida vs. Notre Dame

If Florida goes to the title game-

BCS - Ohio State vs. Florida

Rose - Michigan vs. USC

Orange - Georgia Tech vs. Louisville

Fiesta - Oklahoma vs. Boise State

Sugar - LSU vs. Notre Dame

If Michigan goes to the title game-

BCS - Ohio State vs. Michigan

Rose - USC vs. LSU

Orange - Georgia Tech vs. Louisville

Fiesta - Oklahoma vs. Boise State

Sugar - Florida vs. Notre Dame

The rationalization behind the At Large bids is as following:

Notre Dame won't go to the Rose Bowl after playing USC to end the season and Michigan earlier in the year.

Boise State goes to the Fiesta because they get last pick

The Sugar will take Notre Dame if available, and LSU if they lose Florida to the BCS title game as they need the tourists from Baton Rouge to help keep them in the black.

The Orange will take LSU, Notre Dame, or the Big East champ to counter-balance a disappointing ACC champ, but they pick late in the process and are likely to be left with the Big East champ rather than heavy-drawing Notre Dame or a hot LSU team.

LSU's hot, but I still expect West Virginia to get the at-large call if they win out. As great as LSU's been playing, it'd still be weird having the third-place team in the SEC West in a BCS game. Someone keeps harping on that in this thread and while I think it's kind of exaggerated, it could still really look odd.

*** 9. Notre Dame LIKELY gets a bid for finishing wherever they do. This COULD get overruled depending on the application of BCS rules, as I believe there are limits to the number of automatic bids.

If they finish in the top 8, they're guaranteed an automatic bid no matter what.

If they finish in the top 8, they're guaranteed an automatic bid no matter what.

If they win, they get an automatic.

If they lose, it's questionable if they're an automatic or if they'd have to be chosen.

LSU's hot, but I still expect West Virginia to get the at-large call if they win out. As great as LSU's been playing, it'd still be weird having the third-place team in the SEC West in a BCS game. Someone keeps harping on that in this thread and while I think it's kind of exaggerated, it could still really look odd.

The CBS commentators noted that LSU played all four of their away games against teams that were Top Ten at the time. (Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas)

They said in the same breath that, if Ohio State had that road schedule, they'd have a few losses as well.

As for West Virginia, their At Large chances depend on the Orange Bowl taking them.

I seriously doubt the Rose Bowl would take them due to distance alone, the Fiesta Bowl likely won't have the opportunity, and I doubt the Sugar Bowl takes them because they had them last year.

That was a good win for LSU today but it's still a curious development. I'm the one harping on the fact that there's no way the BCS could dare take a team that finished third in a division. For instance, why take LSU over Auburn when Auburn has a head to head win? There's zero logical reason as to why LSU is ranked above Auburn in the BCS when they both went 10-2, finished tied in the SEC, and Auburn has the head to head. Can the BCS really take the 4th best team in the SEC, one that wasn't even in the SEC title game?

As far as WVU goes, they have a fading chance at the Orange Bowl, since if U of L wins out we'll likely go. WVU would need to beat Rutgers and hope U of L loses to Pitt or UConn. WVU--if they go 11-1 and tie for the Big East--should certainly get an at large to the BCS.

That was a good win for LSU today but it's still a curious development. I'm the one harping on the fact that there's no way the BCS could dare take a team that finished third in a division. For instance, why take LSU over Auburn when Auburn has a head to head win? There's zero logical reason as to why LSU is ranked above Auburn in the BCS when they both went 10-2, finished tied in the SEC, and Auburn has the head to head. Can the BCS really take the 4th best team in the SEC, one that wasn't even in the SEC title game?

As far as WVU goes, they have a fading chance at the Orange Bowl, since if U of L wins out we'll likely go. WVU would need to beat Rutgers and hope U of L loses to Pitt or UConn. WVU--if they go 11-1 and tie for the Big East--should certainly get an at large to the BCS.

The difference is that Auburn got KILLED in its two losses (against Arkansas and unranked Georgia), while LSU lost 7-3 to Auburn and roughly 24-10 to Florida.

That trumps a head-to-head loss as far as some people are concerned.

Also, the "whoever lost last" thing puts Auburn in a worse position, as LSU's last loss was 7 games ago, while Auburn lost in the last few weeks.

WRONG. LSU played a much tougher schedule than Auburn facing Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas all on the road, and having to take on Auburn on the road as well. Auburn meanwhile got LSU, Florida, and Arkansas all at home, and didn't even have to face Tennessee. Their next toughest game against Georgia was also at home and they lost that.

Also, the Auburn/LSU game and Auburn/Florida games were both so close (coming down to the final play of the game) that I think home advantage would probably have been enough to sway them. If they'd been traveling to all the powerhouses like LSU had, they'd probably have four losses right now. Finally, head-to-head means nothing when you throw Arkansas into the mix since LSU beat Arkansas and Auburn lost to them.

I hope Maryland loses, because the thought of the ACC being represented by Maryland makes me vomitous. Couch-burnin' ass punks. I think GT takes it over Wake or Maryland anyway. Maryland has Champs Sports written all over them, though I could see them getting bumped down to Music City depending on how things work out.

Virginia/Virginia Tech tomorrow. Hokies'll probably win by 17 since it's a road game for UVA, thereby making Mrs. Slayer happy and Mr. Edwin sad. Still, if we manage to pull it out, it's the beautiful pastures of the Nut Bowl!

Louisville will almost certainly get a berth in the Orange Bowl representing the Big East. The next most likely team would be Rutgers if they beat West Virginia in their finale.

You don't have to worry about Maryland beating Georgia Tech though. It's not going to happen.

If USC doesn't get in the title game, I want them to go up against LSU. We're OWED this.

Funny, USC is exactly who we want if given the chance.

However, I'd discounted the chances of it earlier because I didn't think there'd be a Michigan-Ohio State rematch.

Honest to God, if we played LSU, I wouldn't even be that mad about missing the title game.

Regardless, fuck the Irish.

USF leading West Virginia at the half.

Doesn't look like FSU is going to give Florida much of a game.

Did you really think FSU could? The offense is dead and the defense gave up about a month ago when they smelled the corpse.

And Florida St has never been a school to play for pride.

ETA: Apparently Florida's poor offensive play calling has ignited the FSU defense which has dragged the offensive corpse of the Noles back to life. Even with Weatherford throwing three INTs in the third quarter, FSU has come back to tie it 14-14 early in the fourth.