TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Sci Fi Updates Wizard of Oz

From Zap2It.com

The Sci Fi Channel is off to see the wizard -- RHI Entertainment that is -- to create a six-hour miniseries based on L. Frank Baum's "The Wizard of Oz."

"Tin Man" (working title) will begin production on its science fiction, psychedelic reimagining of the already bizarre tale in early 2007 in Vancouver, with a projected December 2007 premiere.

In this updated epic tale, a young woman named DG somehow gets snatched up and thrust into the fantastical realm known as The Outer Zone (aka The O.Z) that's currently oppressed by dark magic.

Along the way, she befriends the half-brained man Glitch, the wolverine-like Raw who seeks courage and the emotionally scarred, heroic Cain, who was once part of the police force known as Tin Men in the O.Z. DG is journeying along the Old Road to seek the Mystic Man, but in the end, has a showdown with the wicked Azkeadellia, who has curiously close ties to DG herself.

Casting is currently underway.

Robert Halmi, Sr. and Jr. will executive produce, along with Mitchell and Van Sickle ("The Pretender"). RHI Entertainment previously collaborated with Sci Fi for the 2004 miniseries "Legend of Earthsea," starring Shawn Ashmore, Kristin Kreuk, Danny Glover, and Isabella Rossellini.

The best known version of "The Wizard of Oz" was released in theaters in 1939 and starred Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale. Several other versions, sequels and spinoffs followed, most notably the musical "The Wiz," which was adapted into a film starring Michael Jackson and Diana Ross in 1978, and the recent TV movie "Muppets' Wizard of Oz," starring Ashanti, Jeffrey Tambor and various muppets.

I dunno, it's sounds fun in a sorta trainwreck way. Sci-Fi original series have been pretty damn solid (the few eps of Eureka I've caught were good, and Battlestar Galactica is practically worshipped by a few critics), the complete opposite for their "movies," so...I dunno. Jury's out. Could be really fun, could be utter shyte.

I'm sure it will feature someone from "Stargate SG-1"

I'm sure it will feature someone from "Stargate SG-1"

Or BSG. Or an Ashmore brother.

Anyway, why sci-fi it up? Aside from the fact that it's on Sci-Fi, that is. If you do a faithful, non-musical version of the book, and it's successful, you can get going on Baum's other 13 books in the series. I mean, it's worked with some other series of books, right?

Sounds interesting for a made for TV mini-series. Couldn't be any worse than Return to OZ.

Take it back. Return to Oz was my favorite movie growing up. I was one of the few children that it didn't give nightmares to.

Sounds interesting for a made for TV mini-series. Couldn't be any worse than Return to OZ.

Take it back. Return to Oz was my favorite movie growing up. I was one of the few children that it didn't give nightmares to.

Yeah. That was a really creepy movie.

I liked Return to Oz and yes, it was creepy.

The Wizard of Oz is a really fucking gay movie. I don't care who remakes it. Seriously try to sit down and watch that shit, I can't make it more than about 5 minutes.

I'm sure that back when they started making this movie in 1938 they were saying "let's make a really fucking gay movie" in anticipation of some guy on an internet board in 2006 declaring it to, indeed, be "a really fucking gay movie"...

I'm sure that back when they started making this movie in 1938 they were saying "let's make a really fucking gay movie" in anticipation of some guy on an internet board in 2006 declaring it to, indeed, be "a really fucking gay movie"...

:D that was a great line SIGGED

anyhow to topic, I dont want to see any other Oz remake, to me there will be always only 1 movie (though it was much softer ad kid-friendly than the original book)

Judy Garland was hot, then in Return to Oz, Dorothy is 10 years old. That's part of the reason I didn't like Return, other than it was creepy as hell and freaked me out when I saw it when I was 10 and when I was totally drunk and stoned out of my mind when I was 19.