TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/30 - 12/2

How does Michigan prove they are the second-best team in the country? Because they lost a close game to the best team in the country? Florida defeated four top-15 schools this season. What seperates either of them from each other?

The tie-breaker for me is simply this: I don't want to see a rematch.

The point is that the debate isn't about who you want to see in the title game. The debate is about who is the second best team in the country. Your argument is about as vaild as saying "well, Michigan and Florida are pretty even, but my aunt lives in Ann Arbor, so I think Michigan should get in".

How does Michigan prove they are the second-best team in the country? Because they lost a close game to the best team in the country? Florida defeated four top-15 schools this season. What seperates either of them from each other?

The point is that the debate isn't about who you want to see in the title game. The debate is about who is the second best team in the country. Your argument is like saying "well, Michigan and Florida are pretty even, but my aunt lives in Ann Arbor, so I think Michigan should get in".

Okay, should I edit my second line to appease everyone? My point still stands. Who cares if I want to see Florida or not -- what seperates either team from that BCS bid?

EDIT: This may be the shittiest officiating crew I've ever seen in a football game (re: Hawaii/OSU). They're just blowing calls everywhere on both teams. Even the announcers were calling them on missing horse collars, late hits, running the clock when the offense went out of bounds. Just pathetic.

Florida has defended at most a couple of competent quarterbacks all season, and either Chad Henne or Troy Smith would destroy their pass defense. It's easy to look good when your opponent's QB is so ineffective that their running back is throwing the important passes. And the gimmick offenses we saw tonight would not fly against UM or OSU either.

Guest Princess Leena

Ugh, I hate these hypothetical matchups.

All the "experts" on TV tried convincing us that USC would crush all other teams but Michigan and OSU. So much for that now.

They were stupid though. I'm the only one you need to listen to. Not only did I have USC as a shaky #4, I also predicted their loss to USC. Hypothetical UM/UF matchup, I set the line at Michigan -4.

To be fair, Florida had a lot of injuries tonight, so if they played next week, Michigan probably would win. However, it doesn't make them any better than Florida.

Michigan would probably would win yet lose 31-14?....just using your quotes

Right now... I just don't know.

Florida deserves a shot at the National Championship. Going 12-1 with 4 top 20 teams on the schedule is amazing.

Michigan also deserves a shot at the National Championship. Losing to the top team in the country, on the road, by three points is by no means a bad loss.

Having said that, Florida played a tougher schedule IMO. But... I don't think the pollsters will be able to resist the Ohio State-Michigan for the National Championship storyline and Michigan will get the nod.

It's a god damn shame that one of these teams will get the shaft because they both really do deserve a chance.

I feel bad for Chris Leak playing under Urban's system, it just doesn't suit him.

It basically fucked his draft stock up. He would've been drafted in the first 3 rounds had he played under a better system that best fits him.

I'd expect a whole lot of talking heads bitching either way when the BCS rankings come in Monday. Me, being anti-BCS, will enjoy every minute of this.

EDIT: My mistake. Thanks, UW. I keep thinking it's Monday.

Unreal. I go to a dinner party and miss out on some of the craziest games of the year. Oh well.

Florida should be going to Glendale, no question in my mind. More wins over good to great teams, more wins over bowl teams, more wins over ranked teams, more wins over teams with winning records. Oh, and amidst all that, they actually won their conference. Almost any way you quantify what actually happened this season and what each team achieved, the Gators have a better case than Michigan. At the end of the regular season you can't go by how "good" you think a team is or what you predict they might do in the title game. There's no guesswork anymore: you have to go by the results of the whole year now that you have them all in front of you. I see very little indicating that Michigan should play for the title. Number 3, absolutely. Number 2? No way.

I wanted to see Florida-Ohio State all year. Hopefully we get that, and LSU-USC.

There's about a 0.000001% chance that Michigan doesn't play in either the BCS title game or the Rose Bowl. Plus if Florida plays in the title game then the Sugar Bowl is almost certainly going to replace them with LSU.

The point is that the debate isn't about who you want to see in the title game. The debate is about who is the second best team in the country. Your argument is about as vaild as saying "well, Michigan and Florida are pretty even, but my aunt lives in Ann Arbor, so I think Michigan should get in".

Hey, my aunt does live in Ann Arbor LOL!!!

I wanted to see Florida-Ohio State all year. Hopefully we get that, and LSU-USC.

There's about a 0.000001% chance that Michigan doesn't play in either the BCS title game or the Rose Bowl. Plus if Florida plays in the title game then the Sugar Bowl is almost certainly going to replace them with LSU.

I'm so tired that I forgot that Michigan would go into the Rose Bowl if they didn't go to the title game.

Regarding Florida though, a HUGE strike against them is that they played Western Carolina. Other than that, it's hard to definitively say that they shouldn't be there, as they played more high quality teams, even if their schedule didn't turn out to be too deep. If Georgia wouldn't have collapsed, their computer ranking would be better.

It seems like there's a chance of another split title, but that's if Ohio State loses in the title game. Which I think they will.

Hey, my aunt does live in Ann Arbor LOL!!!

I'm so tired that I forgot that Michigan would go into the Rose Bowl if they didn't go to the title game.

Regarding Florida though, a HUGE strike against them is that they played Western Carolina. Other than that, it's hard to definitively say that they shouldn't be there, as they played more high quality teams, even if their schedule didn't turn out to be too deep. If Georgia wouldn't have collapsed, their computer ranking would be better.

It seems like there's a chance of another split title, but that's if Ohio State loses in the title game. Which I think they will.

If Florida can dig up a good reason why Western Carolina is on their schedule, I could give them a pass for it.

If they'd had a team from a BCS league in that slot and had to replace them because they pulled out of the game, that would be enough for a pass from me.

Example- Virginia Tech pulled out of a game with LSU a few years back. They were finally able to put Oregon State in that spot, but there was a danger of them only being able to fill it with a poor-quality team because most teams were already tied up that weekend.

Here are my final pre-bowl rankings:

(Previous week's ranking in parenthesis)

1. Ohio State 12-0 (1)

2. Michigan 11-1 (2)

3. Florida 12-1 (3)

4. LSU 10-2 (5)

5. Louisville 11-1 (6)

6. Boise State 12-0 (7)

7. Auburn 10-2 (9)

8. USC 10-2 (4)

9. Arkansas 10-3 (8)

10. Oklahoma 11-2 (11)

11. Notre Dame 10-2 (10)

12. Wisconsin 11-1 (12)

13. Tennessee 9-3 (14)

14. West Virginia 10-2 (15)

15. Wake Forest 11-2 (18)

16. Rutgers 10-2 (13)

17. Virginia Tech 10-2 (16)

18. Texas 9-3 (17)

19. Texas A&M 9-2 (22)

20. California 9-3 (20)

21. Oregon State 8-4 (NR)

22. Nebraska 9-4 (19)

23. Georgia 8-4 (23)

24. Georgia Tech 9-4 (21)

25. UCLA 7-5 (NR)

Close: Boston College (9-3), BYU (10-2), Penn State (8-4), Maryland (8-4), South Florida (8-4)

To be fair, Florida had a lot of injuries tonight, so if they played next week, Michigan probably would win. However, it doesn't make them any better than Florida.

You're so stupid you don't know when someone's being sarcastic, aren't you?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Quit it.

...Regarding Florida though, a HUGE strike against them is that they played Western Carolina....

Michigan played Ball State.

I don't really care which team goes to the big game, although given the choice I'd say Florida is more deserving, what this season shows is that the system doesn't work. Want a defined team to play against the number one? Settle it on the field, or gasp, have a playoff system like literally every other major team sport at literally every other competitive level.

Quit it.

...Regarding Florida though, a HUGE strike against them is that they played Western Carolina....

Michigan played Ball State.

Even though Michigan almost lost, Ball State is at least a I-A team.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Cannon fodder just the same. At least Florida massacred their weenie local matchup.

The logic is screwed up any way you look at it. Michigan's probably the second best team out there, but Ohio State already beat them. If they play again, either OSU will win again, or Michigan wins, splitting them 1-1, not winning their conference, and somehow winning the national championship? That's whack.

Florida loss to a lesser team than what Michigan did, and have had a couple other close ones, but they won the friggin' SEC.

Cannon fodder just the same. At least Florida massacred their weenie local matchup.

The logic is screwed up any way you look at it.Michigan's probably the second best team out there, but Ohio State already beat them. If they play again, either OSU will win again, or Michigan wins, splitting them 1-1, not winning their conference, and somehow winning the national championship? That's whack.

Florida loss to a lesser team than what Michigan did, and have had a couple other close ones, but they won the friggin' SEC.

No its not, western carolina is a 2-9 1-AA team. I guess Michigan should have scheduled Grand Valley State and blew them out so we would be 12-1 too.

and even you are saying Michigan is the second best team......so whats the discussion?

Either you are saying Michigan would lose to Florida by 17 on a neutral site or Michigan would beat Florida yet isn't the second best team. Who is the stupid one?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The logic is screwed up any way you look at it.Michigan's probably the second best team out there, but Ohio State already beat them. If they play again, either OSU will win again, or Michigan wins, splitting them 1-1, not winning their conference, and somehow winning the national championship? That's whack.

No its not, western carolina is a 2-9 1-AA team. I guess Michigan should have scheduled Grand Valley State and blew them out so we would be 12-1 too.

and even you are saying Michigan is the second best team......so whats the discussion?

These are my discussion points:

1. The BCS is a flawed and arbitrary system

2. Michigan, best case scenario, can only split with a team they already lost to, and thus are not an undisputed champion.

These are my discussion points:

1. The BCS is a flawed and arbitrary system

2. Michigan, best case scenario, can only split with a team they already lost to, and thus are not an undisputed champion.

what if Auburn was undefeated and number 1 and Michigan and Florida both had 1 loss seasons as currently......would you then support Michigan in the championship game?

Either you are saying Michigan would lose to Florida by 17 on a neutral site or Michigan would beat Florida yet isn't the second best team. Who is the stupid one?

Ok let me explain it since you REALLY are not getting it. The first post, where I predicted Florida 31, Michigan 14, was made in sarcasm. I then went on to answer it honestly, seeing that Florida is banged up like hell while Michigan has had two weeks break, and said that Michigan probably would win. However, due to that circumstance (Michigan being off and Florida having just played a tough game), it isn't the best indicator of who was better. Now, pit Florida with 4 weeks break against Michigan with 4 weeks break, and you will truly see who's better.

Really, if we're going to have those people run around and people keep bringing up Damaramu, just bring him back. He at least supported his arguments with statistics, even though his USC hate was off the charts.