TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

Show's over

The World’s Largest Athlete has made his life’s biggest decision, and for now, WWE and ECW will be without a giant.

Not since Andre the Giant has there been a man of Big Show’s stature who’s made such impact on sports-entertainment. But, after more than seven years in WWE and a five-month reign of dominance in the reborn ECW, Big Show has decided to take time away from the ring.

Enduring not only one of the most physical confrontations in his career against new ECW World Champion Lashley on ECW on Sci Fi, but also experiencing the agony and misery within the torturous Extreme Elimination Chamber, it seemed that this week was the breaking point for the giant.

Some close to Big Show have said that his pride was lost after losing the ECW World Title. His lingering emotions and injuries, coupled with several tumultuous days contributed to his decision to step away.

“I’m a raw-boned bastard that breaks things and moves the immovable objects. When I’m injured, I can’t do those things,” said the Extreme Giant. “I’m much more valuable healthy both mentally and physically, and this hiatus will help me to get there.”

According to Big Show, he has been plagued by a multitude of injuries from herniated discs to torn muscles, but has still competed through the pain. Bodily damage of this nature is something an ordinary individual (of far smaller size) could never endure, let alone carry the weight of the ECW World Title in a highly physical realm of hardcore.

“I’ve reached a point in my career right now where I am a little run down and hurt pretty bad physically,” explained the Extremist. “I’ve been wrestling the past three months pretty much in pain every night. I can’t compete at the level I want to compete at, and that’s the most heartbreaking thing.”

Despite his display of supremacy, Big Show claimed that his performance in the ring has not been at his full potential. It is this that has driven the immense competitor to step away from WWE for now.

“I think every athlete reaches a point in their career when he really has to check himself and evaluate what is going on,” said the 500-pound Extremist. “Anybody who knows me knows I need a break. People go through life so fast sometimes they miss it; I just want to put on the breaks.”

According to the World’s Largest Athlete, the physical ache he’s experienced doesn’t compare to the emotional anguish that’s accompanied his decision to take a break not just from his career, but also the familial lifestyle of sports-entertainment.

With a career that’s spanned more than one decade, Big Show has held every major World Championship in sports-entertainment and is the only man to hold the WWE Championship, ECW World Title and World Heavyweight Championship.

More importantly, the Extreme Giant said that in his conquests, he’s had the extraordinary opportunity to have battled the biggest icons in sports-entertainment including Hulk Hogan, Triple H, Ric Flair, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker and countless others.

“It’s bittersweet; this business is a family. I’ve been traveling and I’ve been in this business for 11 wonderful years,” stated a passionate Big Show. “I’ve been able to work with almost every top Superstar in this business that’s ever meant anything… I’ve had some very memorable matches and I’m thankful for it.”

Whether cheered or jeered by WWE fans, Big Show has always been respected and kept audiences in sheer awe. Now, the seven-footer is anxious to take some time away from the spotlight, though that spotlight shines extra bright upon an individual of such mammoth size.

“Being this big, you can never hide,” he admitted with a large grin. “I’m thankful for it but right now I just want some time for myself. I’m thankful for the fans and I hope that they can respect this decision and can be supportive too.”

While Big Show hopes to recover and refresh himself, he discussed his possible involvement in a future WWE Films release.

“I want to reinvent myself if possible, and find out who Big Show really is,” he admitted. “I’d like to do a WWE movie – a comedy – because I have a pretty good sense of comedic timing. I’m a pretty humble, lovable, funny, easy-going guy with a short fuse. Then again, like Chris Rock said, nobody wants to laugh at a big guy who could beat your ass.”

Until then, it’ll be a “big, bad show tonight” and every other night until the Extreme Giant makes his way back home to the squared circle.

“I’m thankful for everything,” asserted Big Show. “For every man who has stepped in the ring with me and trusted me with their bodies. For WWE officials who have been so supportive of my decision when I basically went to them in tears and told them I was burnt out.”

In addition to these very genuine words, Big Show also had a message for ECW and WWE fans alike.

“I’d like to give a special thanks to ECW fans,” he added. “I wasn’t a part of the original ECW, but I gave all I had for them and I hope solidified my part in ECW. For anyone who has cheered me, loved me, hated me and booed me: thank you.”

WWE.com

Guest netslob

i don't care what anyone says, i always liked the guy.

fare thee well, sweet huge man...enjoy retirement.

For every man who has stepped in the ring with me and trusted me with their bodies.

Kayfabe, Show, kayfabe...

Anyway, I always liked Show and he did what he did pretty well. Wouldn't go as far as to say I'll miss him being on TV, but best of luck to him.

Who the hell wrote this? "The Extreme Giant" "The 500 pound Extremist" WE GET IT, he was in ECW. Extremists sounds lamer than Superstars.

Big Show is a good guy and I hope he never loses feeling in his EXTREME-ities.

I always liked show, but i really didnt like his last run. For me, his carear ended with loosing the tag titles with Kane.

...when did he hold the World Heavyweight title? Did I miss something??

That brief period from Nov. 2002 to December 2002. Lasted 3 weeks, I believe. Transition champion for Angle to set up Angle/Brock.

Edit: that was the WWE title.

They are refering to the WCW reign.

weird...

just before I saw your reply i went to their title history section, and in that time period you mention, it was Shawn Michaels whom held the title.

and lame. They couldve said WCW title, if theyre supposed to be two different titles after all.

Damn, I'm going to miss the guy. I hope this doesn't mean the end of his appearences on Conan.

What he might need to do is go home, get a dietician, and lose a LOT of weight.

That volume cannot be good for his bones, joints, and injuries.

What he might need to do is go home, get a dietician, and lose a LOT of weight.

That volume cannot be good for his bones, joints, and injuries.

He couldn't lose that weight because of the injuries. I doubt he'll drop to much weight if he's looking to pursue Hollywood. He needs to at least drop 75 pounds and get back to the thick frame he had up until 2002.

Guest Princess Leena

What Eric said.

Then, I really believe Show could have a good acting career. I always thought Show was poorly suited for wrestling. Whenever he got a serious push, he couldn't show his acting abilities. They were a waste for WWE.

What Eric said.

Then, I really believe Show could have a good acting career. I always thought Show was poorly suited for wrestling. Whenever he got a serious push, he couldn't show his acting abilities. They were a waste for WWE.

True, he has great comedic timing and such but any serious push forced him to be the "ARRGH!" giant that he really wasn't. Show is just like Andre in that he was a tremendously likable guy that seemed like constant fun even if he was/is in constant pain due to his discomfort of his size. People knew this as well, so it was a waste to build him as that monster heel and then turn the switch and make him the goofy face again. Kane, goes through this as well and he's a tremendous actor with the shit he's given.

He didn't say he was retiring. He referred to it as a hiatus. Now, I may be out of the loop since I haven't been online much in recent months, but does anyone else think that means he'll come back for one last WrestleMania match, maybe against Hogan?

He didn't say he was retiring. He referred to it as a hiatus. Now, I may be out of the loop since I haven't been online much in recent months, but does anyone else think that means he'll come back for one last WrestleMania match, maybe against Hogan?

A match with Hogan was the only thing he was even remotely willing to stick around for but it looks as if he just couldn't take it much longer and didn't see much reward in it. It's possible that Vince, being Vince, will panic and beg Show to work Hogan to duplicate the Andre/Hogan deal. The thing is, Vince seems to changed his mind and thinks Cena/Batista or Batista/Taker (with Batista ending the streak) can be that moment.

He started actually trying to work again after the brand switch, taking unprotected chair shots and learning new moves to try and fit in with the ECW roster, so I applaud him on a fairly well-done exit.

Unfortunately, Vince always likes loud angry flaring-nostril personalities for his giant guys, and so the only time Show ever got any charisma pop was that "sometimes I just like to be a goof" feud with Kurt Angle, and the WM21 ad that featured him having endless problems trying to deliver a single movie line. I've always thought the guy has it in him for standup comedy, he has good timing and the company recognized it and used him for a bunch of late-night appearances. We have far worse acts in Vegas than a gigantic dude who walks on stage and starts telling jokes.

What is their big fucking hype behind Hogan vs Show? It's not like we've never seen that match before in the past.

Andre/Hogan pt. II in Detroit, 20 years later.

What is their big fucking hype behind Hogan vs Show? It's not like we've never seen that match before in the past.

Vince wants to recreate Hogan vs. Andre for the 20th anniversary of WM III.

I still don't know why the had Austin basically squash him on the Raw before WrestleMania 15. It really hurt his career in the WWF/E.

Vince couldn't let a WCW made star look better than his homegrown names. It's why Vince never makes the Invasion angle work, even when it's so easy to do.

How come no one has posted "OMG BIG SHOW VS JOE IN TNA" or something yet?

Because we all understand that Show is leaving because he physically can't handle wrestling anymore.

How come no one has posted "OMG BIG SHOW VS JOE IN TNA" or something yet?

Because we all understand that Show is leaving because he physically can't handle wrestling anymore.

Also, still is under contract with WWE for the time being with the film department.

I'm also sad to see Show good. I've liked him even if I wasn't always a fan about how he was booked. Also, notice how they never say anything of his time in WCW. Heh figures.

Vince couldn't let a WCW made star look better than his homegrown names. It's why Vince never makes the Invasion angle work, even when it's so easy to do.

Which is a shame seeing as how much Vince was paying him when he came in.