TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Andy Masur is moving from the Cubs' radio booth to the Padres' for 2007, I guess. I'm assuming he got the lead PBP job, since he was just doing pregame, scoreboard, and fill-in for us. He was pretty good at all those, but I don't think he really has the voice or enthusiasm to call a game for nine innings. He's kind of mild. Nevertheless, I guess you Friars fans can fill me in on how he does out there.

Masur is going to be the third man in the booth. He will be doing two innings of play-by-play and five innings of color. I also heard he will do the pregame and get his own sports talk show in the offseason.

Guest Smues

(Unaudited) Net Income of 594 million for FY2006, up almost 60 million from FY2005. Yeah I don't think the Tribune Company needs to get money from the makers of god awful commercials that don't tell you shit about their products.

Smues: Didn't know what the fuck Under Armor was until someone told him despite having seen commercials 10,000 times.

I wonder if A-Rod will get his own ESPN reality show this season similar to Barry Bonds last season. They could call it "Rod on Rod".

I still maintain that A-Rod needs an "I'm Keith Hernandez" moment to finally get some of the pressure off his back. He just sounds like a whiny pussy the way he says something interesting then backtracks so that no one gets offended. He should just tell Jeter to go fuck himself.

It does seem more apparent than ever that A-Rod's going to bolt after the 2007 season. He went there to win championships and that hasn't exactly happened yet. He doesn't seem to particularly like NY and if he can make his money and compete for a title elsewhere, I don't see why he wouldn't do it.

If he came to LA, fans here would be lining up to suck his dick. They've been waiting for a Latino star to come here since Fernando.

If he opts out, the media scrutiny won't go away. It will only get worse on him. If I've learned anything about sports in the last few years, it's that most people take what ESPN says as the bible, and they will never let this story go.

I don't think that the media is that hard on him outside of New York. In fact, they've sort of come around to the idea that he's getting a bum rap from NY fans. It will be a much more interesting story if he goes somewhere else, exercises his so-called demons and wins a title. Everyone in the media loves Torre and Jeter, but it's blatantly obvious to everyone that they've handled this situation poorly. There's a chance for redemption there.

If he opts out, the media scrutiny won't go away. It will only get worse on him. If I've learned anything about sports in the last few years, it's that most people take what ESPN says as the bible, and they will never let this story go.

The only way they'll let it go is if he wins a championship in NY. He doesn't even have to play particularly well (see Peyton Manning in the playoffs aside from the AFC Championship game, he played like shit the first two games and wasn't particularly great in the bowl, but he'll get a lifetime pass from the media from now on). If he moves on to another team the media will keep on riding him until that team wins, with the added talk of how "he just couldn't handle the pressure of NY" if he plays great elsewhere, or "his years in New York permanently damaged his psyche" if he struggles with errors/goes on a cold streak.

Personally I find the overanalysis of A-Rod stupid, and I just try to ignore it. The poor guy can't catch a break at this point, and while he's deserving of some criticism from time to time (IE. his fielding last year and awful plate approach in the playoffs), it's just way overboard, and it's a vicious cycle. People are just sadists, they see a weakness in the man and they can't stop attacking it. Even Yankee "fans" are all over his sack. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said though.

But hey, as long as people stop arguing about Bernie Williams, as if that hasn't been beaten to death already....

The exact moment that A-Rod became a scapegoat in NY was when he bitch slapped the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove in the ALCS. All the Yankees fan anger was concentrated to him, and it snowballed from there.

Although the seeds were planted during the A-Rod/Jeter/Nomar debates and watered by Rodriguez's comments about Jeter in Esquire Magazine after they both signed their big contracts.

This probably could go somewhere else, but XM and Sirius have announced plans to merge their companies. Although they will have to fight with the government for the next year or so about anti-trust laws, maybe I'll be able to get some baseball by the 2008 season.

Credit Rotoworld and the Chicago Sun-Times (Wood story) as usual...

- The IMMORTAL "El Guapo!" aka Rich Garces has signed with the Nashua Pride of the Can-Am League at age 35.

- Kerry Wood plans to stay away from those dangerous curves as he makes his move to the Cubs' bullpen this season.

The former staff ace, who threw an encouraging bullpen session Monday, plans to stick primarily with a fastball-slider repertoire as a reliever, sprinkling in the occasional changeup.

- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen confirmed Monday that Nick Masset (4.81 ERA in 67.1 IP mainly as a MR in AAA. 4.15 ERA in 8.2 IP with the Texas Rangers last year) would get a chance to contend for a rotation spot this spring.

- Greg Miller (0.79 ERA in 22.2 IP at AA and 4.38 ERA in 37 IP in AAA as a MR last year) feels healthy enough to go back to his old delivery this spring and might ask the Dodgers if he can return to the rotation in the minors.

Guest Oedipus Rex

I've been getting so giddy about the White Sox rotation being much weaker, but watch Jon Garland implausibly have a great year, and Buerhle stops sucking before he goes off to St. Louis to never suck ever.

I'm jonesing for some spring training games real bad right about now.

Today on YES I watched the Yankees beat the Padres in 12 innings from June 13, 2004. I remember being more sunburned than I ever have been in my life, and hung over to boot, laying on my couch after coming home from my senior prom weekend at the shore and watching that game. I fell asleep well before the end and woke up for the post game show.

Guest Queen Leelee
I could see A-Rod playing in either Los Angeles(Dodgers), San Fran, or Chicago (Cubs) next year if he doesn't stick in NY.

One of those places is not like the other.

One of those places isn't warm so Alexander can show off his sexy body and hit 1000 HR's.

A. Rodriguez doesn't have to shut up. He's the leader of the team, and he can say whatever he wants. It's painfully obvious that Derek wanted a long-term commitment of anal loving, and obviously Alexander doesn't need to resort to such things. He has a sexy wife, and can have any woman he wants.

Guest Queen Leelee
The exact moment that A-Rod became a scapegoat in NY was when he bitch slapped the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove in the ALCS. All the Yankees fan anger was concentrated to him, and it snowballed from there.

Yet, if the backup SS does that, he's "fired up" and "wants his team to him".

Fuck all of you stupid Yankee fans.

We know the real reason you treat A. Rodriguez the way you do.

Guest Oedipus Rex
I could see A-Rod playing in either Los Angeles(Dodgers), San Fran, or Chicago (Cubs) next year if he doesn't stick in NY.

One of those places is not like the other.

One of those places isn't warm so Alexander can show off his sexy body and hit 1000 HR's.

San Francisco? It gets plenty warm in the Midwest, you know.

Guest Queen Leelee
He's the leader of the team

False. He came here knowing this wasn't and would never be "his" team.

A. Rodriguez is the best player on the team.

We all know this.

Guest Queen Leelee
Who the fuck wants to live in the Midwest.

:(

I don't consider Minnesota to be the Midwest.

It would fine there without the frigid cold.

He's the leader of the team

False. He came here knowing this wasn't and would never be "his" team.

A. Rodriguez is the best player on the team.

We all know this.

Last year Jeter was, and even so, being the best player doesn't automatically make you the leader.

Baseballl Prospectus has released Kevin Goldstein's Top 100 Prospect rankings (check their site or book for more info). I'll be interested to see how these stack up against PECOTA's top 100. I don't think the book is shipping for another week or so though, so the best we have is a generic list. Here ya go:

1. Alex Gordon, 3B, Royals, 23

2. Philip Hughes, RHP, Yankees, 21

3. Delmon Young, OF, Devil Rays, 21

4. Homer Bailey, RHP, Reds, 21

5. Brandon Wood, SS, Angels, 22

6. Tim Lincecum, RHP, Giants, 23

7. Cameron Maybin, OF, Tigers, 20

8. Chris Young, OF, Diamondbacks, 23

9. Jay Bruce, OF, Reds, 20

10. Evan Longoria, 3B, Devil Rays, 21

11. Reid Brignac, SS, Devil Rays, 21

12. Ryan Braun, 3B, Brewers, 23

13. Matt Garza, RHP, Twins, 23

14. Yovani Gallardo, RHP, Brewers, 21

15. Andrew McCutchen, OF, Pirates, 20

16. Clayton Kershaw, LHP, Dodgers, 19

17. Andrew Miller, LHP, Tigers, 22

18. Fernando Martinez, OF, Mets, 18

19. Adam Miller, RHP, Indians, 22

20. Andy LaRoche, 3B, Dodgers, 23

21. Billy Butler, OF, Royals, 21

22. Jose Tabata, OF, Yankees, 18

23. Luke Hochevar, RHP, Royals, 23

24. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Rockies, 22

25. Jeff Niemann, RHP, Devil Rays, 24

26. Philip Humber, RHP, Mets, 24

27. Brandon Erbe, RHP, Orioles, 19

28. Nick Adenhart, RHP, Angels, 21

29. Justin Upton, OF, Diamondbacks, 19

30. Mike Pelfrey, RHP, Mets, 23

31. Carlos Gonzalez, OF, Diamondbacks, 21

32. Scott Elbert, LHP, Dodgers, 21

33. Franklin Morales, LHP, Rockies, 21

34. Carlos Gomez, OF, Mets, 21

35. Chuck Lofgren, LHP, Indians, 22

36. Donald Veal, LHP, Cubs, 22

37. Carlos Carrasco, RHP, Phillies, 20

38. Eric Hurley, RHP, Rangers, 21

39. Dexter Fowler, OF, Rockies, 21

40. Travis Snider, OF, Blue Jays, 19

41. Clay Buchholz, RHP, Red Sox, 22

42. Felix Pie, OF, Cubs, 22

43. Adam Lind, OF, Blue Jays, 23

44. Adam Jones, OF, Mariners, 21

45. Jacob McGee, LHP, Devil Rays, 20

46. Jason Hirsh, RHP, Rockies, 25

47. Hunter Pence, OF, Astros, 24

48. Jacoby Ellsbury, OF, Red Sox, 23

49. Chris Iannetta, C, Rockies, 24

50. Colby Rasmus, OF, Cardinals, 20

51. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C, Braves, 22

52. Kevin Kouzmanoff, 3B, Padres, 25

53. Joey Votto, 1B, Reds, 23

54. James Loney, 1B/OF, Dodgers, 23

55. Billy Rowell, 3B, Orioles, 18

56. Joba Chamberlain, RHP, Yankees, 21

57. Troy Patton, LHP, Astros, 21

58. John Danks, LHP, White Sox, 22

59. Jeff Clement, C, Mariners, 24

60. Trevor Crowe, OF, Indians, 23

61. Edinson Volquez, RHP, Rangers, 23

62. Daric Barton, 1B, Athletics, 21

63. Sean West, RHP, Marlins, 21

64. Angel Villalona, 3B, Giants, 16

65. Humberto Sanchez, RHP, Yankees, 24

66. Ubaldo Jimenez, RHP, Rockies, 23

67. Travis Buck, OF, Athletics, 23

68. Ryan Tucker, RHP, Marlins, 20

69. Ryan Sweeney, OF, White Sox, 22

70. Ian Stewart, 3B, Rockies, 22

71. Christopher Volstad, RHP, Marlins, 20

72. Josh Fields, 3B, White Sox, 24

73. Jonathan Sanchez, LHP, Giants, 24

74. Brandon Morrow, RHP, Mariners, 22

75. William Inman, RHP, Brewers, 20

76. Miguel Montero, C, Diamondbacks, 23

77. Wade Davis, RHP, Devil Rays, 21

78. Erick Aybar, SS, Angels, 23

79. Matt Harrison, RHP, Braves, 21

80. Brent Lillibridge, SS, Braves, 23

81. Glenn Perkins, LHP, Twins, 24

82. Sean Gallagher, RHP, Cubs, 21

83. Brad Lincoln, RHP, Pirates, 22

84. Kevin Slowey, RHP, Twins, 23

85. Sean Rodriguez, SS, Angels, 22

86. Michael Bowden, RHP, Red Sox, 20

87. Jeremy Jeffress, RHP, Brewers, 19

88. Hank Conger, C, Angels, 19

89. Cesar Carillo, RHP, Padres, 23

90. Chris Parmelee, OF, Twins, 19

91. Alberto Callaspo, 2B, Diamondbacks, 24

92. Dellin Betances, RHP, Yankees, 19

93. Christopher Marrero, OF, Nationals, 18

94. Brett Sinkbeil, RHP, Marlins, 22

95. Cedric Hunter, OF, Padres, 19

96. Pedro Beato, RHP, Orioles, 20

97. Javier Herrera, OF, Athletics, 22

98. Neftali Feliz, RHP, Braves, 19

99. Kyle Drabek, RHP, Phillies, 19

100. Elijah Dukes, OF, Devil Rays, 23

TEN WHO JUST BARELY MISSED THE CUT

Brian Barton, OF, Indians, 25

Alexi Casilla, INF, Twins, 22

Tyler Clippard, RHP, Yankees, 22

Chris Lubanski, OF, Royals, 22

Eric Patterson, 2B, Cubs, 24

Dustin Pedroia, 2B, Red Sox, 23

Radhames Liz, RHP, Orioles, 24

Drew Stubbs, OF, Reds, 22

Kurt Suzuki, C, Athletics, 23

Neil Walker, C, Pirates, 21

Hey White Sox fans, apparently Ozzie Guillen thought that the failure of last year's team was directly tied to their lack of bunting. He has gone into spring training recommitted to the idea of small ball (and Darin Erstad). :rolleyes:

Hey Ozzie, want to know why you weren't as good last year? Your pitching sucked. The end.