TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Worst Song(s) of 2006

Oh God, I can't stand Lady Soverign, though that's probably known by now.

As bad as the My Chemical Romance song is, it's far from the worst song of the year. I kindo sorta like it's unappolagetic bombast, though it still sucks.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Hinder is working on taking my personal Worst Band on the Planet title from Nickelback, who has held the title for two years now.

Fergalicious....one of the most narcissistic songs ever.

More than that Pussycat Dolls song?

Calling anything done by the Pussycat Dolls a "song" is an insult to actual songs everywhere.

Seconded

Something just plain wrong happened this year. I didn't completely hate Fergie's album or the Pussy Cat Dolls album. Although I know I should have....I just...didn't.

But that girl with thepussy cat dolls can really sing though. Then there are ther other ones that are just there.

Anyway, I wouldn't call their albums good or anything but they weren't horrible either. That just doesn't feel right.

Actually the Pussycat Dolls have one singer, while the rest are backing and eyecandy

"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, the kind of bland nothing of a song, where you just knew the video would be some over-wrought nonsense. In this case, the singer lying down in the pouring rain. Just awful

Also:

"Fill My Little World" by the Feeling (utter drivel, although "Never Be Lonely" sounded like ELO, and thus was pretty cool)

"I Don't Feel Like Dancing" by Scissor Sisters (horribly cynical faux-disco for people who don't like music)

"Smile" by Lily Allen (crap pop-reggae that managed to fool people into thinking it was decent because Allen slagged off some crap indie bands like the Kooks)

"I Don't Feel Like Dancing" by Scissor Sisters (horribly cynical faux-disco for people who don't like music)

I still don't see the appeal of the Scissor Sisters. I've tried, but I just can't get in to them.

Hinder is working on taking my personal Worst Band on the Planet title from Nickelback, who has held the title for two years now.

They're doing their damndest to take the title from Blink 182 for me.

To illustrate that point, "Get Stoned" by Hinder beats "Lips of an Angel" by a nose as the topic question. Those two songs can switch spots depending on time of day.

I haven't heard much Hinder, but from what I've heard, it sucked. I heard a band member once saying something like "Rock's the only thing we take seriously"

Up here in Mass, Toucher and Rich make fun of Hinder, Nickelback, Creed, Default, and other BUTT rock bands on an almost daily basis. Of course, they praise Dio incessantly and bash RHCP whenever they can (not that there's anything wrong with bashing RHCP, mind you), but hey.

Hrmmm...my top 10 worst of '06:

10. Body Count - "Relationships" - Murder 4 Hire

Ice-T needs to stick to acting. The first Body Count album was perfect: generic punk/hardcore riffs played by inner-city thugs who would otherwise be expected to rap. It was angry and it was simple. It was gangsta rap with catchy guitar riffs and good gangchants. This...is atrocious.

9. My Chemical Romance - "The Black Parade" - The Black Parade

I'm sick of fucking hearing this song. I didn't mind shit like "I'm Not OK" and "Helena," since those were just stupid catchy songs...but now they're trying to act like real musicians, and it just doesn't work. Shut up, you're not John Lennon, so go kill yourself.

8. Lamb of God - "Redneck" - Sacrament

Yeah, try to be some hardcore badass metal band...and play some of the most generic radio-friendly "heavy" music since KoRn's Follow the Leader. Keep posin', you redneck pieces of shit.

7. Wicked Wisdom - "Something Inside Me" - Wicked Wisdom

At least Kittie had the whole "angry teenage lesbian" angle to go on. You're the wife of one of the richest men in Hollywood. You have a decent acting career yourself. So...yeah. You're being angry for the sake of being angry. Fuck off.

6. Bleeding Through - "Love in Slow Motion" - The Truth

Portrait of the Goddess was good, disposeable metalcore with a decent gothic ambience to it now and again. This is Love, This is Murderous is a metalcore masterpiece (if you hate the style you'll hate it, but if you like it at all then this album is a must-have). So how do they follow their popularity that was gained by This is Love...? With a piece of shit that has good riffs and a pair of good video's that are connected and tell a story. Brandon's voice on This is Love... was great: he only did clean vocals when the song called for it, and otherwise sticked to screams, growls, and spoken word. Every song on The Truth has clean vocals, and it exposes how well the poor production (yes, deliberate contradiction) on This is Love... enhanced every aspect of the band. Listen to the chorus of this song, and then sit back and wonder how they'd keep somebody with no discernable singing ability at the front of their band.

5. Tool - "Jambi"

4. Tool - "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)"

3. Tool - "Rosetta Stoned"

2. Tool - "Vicarious"

1. Tool - "The Pot" - 10,000 Days

Worst album of the year. Worst band of the year. Worst single of the year. Worst concert of the year. Worst song of the year. Wow...Maynard sure should kill himself and tell Adam and Justin to follow suit quickly.

Anything that spawns off of Blink 182.

The U2/Green Day duet.

Fergie

Gwen Steffani

Beyonce Knowles.

And is it just me, or is My Chemical Romance really trying to push on a Queen imitation. Thats what I get from MCR is this weird Queen vibe that makes me uneasy.

Guest Smues
The opening to Fergalicious sounds so similar to that of Donkey Kong 64's DK Rap that I can't bring myself to hate it. Whenever the song comes on, I'm like, fuck yeah, it's the fuckin' DK Rap. And then it's not... but the good feeling of thinking it is somehow carries over, allowing me to leave the room before the rest of the song can really get to me. Ya know?

I've never played DK 64, but is that the same rap that's in one of the DK levels in Super Smash Brothers Melee?

Guest Smues

I didn't think I'd actually heard any songs that came out in 06 (at least not enough to recognize any of them) until I discovered that People Look Around by Catie Curtis came out in 06. The guy I share an office always puts the radio on NPR (except when he puts it on the Jim Rome show, gag) and they love to play that shitty song.

Wierd thing is Londie makes me want to kill myself but I like Fergiliocous.

redbaron51- Anything that spawns off of Blink 182.

Here I go, Here I Am is my vote for worst song of the year.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
SexyBack just because the phrase has become a universal saying.

Along with its myspacefacebook wall follow-up "when did sexy ever go away?"

Aparrently, sexy somehow disappeared, and he brought it back.

Anything by Panic at the Disco. That band is just asking for an ass kicking.

I'm glad I don't listen to half this shit. It would piss me off.

And Sexyback still rules.

Sexyback is one of the best songs of the year. Not the best (Peeping Tom's Mojo is the best) but one of the best. The production, the singing, the lyrics...all gold, and I don't care what anyone says.

I might just end up getting that album...

Don't let the college frat idiots ruin a good song. Jumping on Timberlake for the sake of jumping on Timberlake is preposterous. Is that song overplayed? Possibly, but that's what hits tend to do.

At least two dozen mainstream artists/bands are vastly inferior to Timberlake.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

"Jumping on Timberlake for the sake of jumping on Timberlake is preposterous."

This sentence could be about bashing a pop musician or a McMansion subdivision in the countryside.

On the way from my house to my Mom's house about 2 hours southwest of Houston, mostly through country roads and lots of trees and cows and stuff, I am quite sure that I did, in fact, see a subdivision called "Timber Lake". It could, however, have been "Timber Oak" or something, but I'd like to think that it was Timber Lake.

And I got Futuresex/Lovesounds today and it makes me boogie. I like Justin Timberlake as a horny 12-year old.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Hawthorne Heights (who surely has to have a candidate for Worst of '06 somewhere, because they're Hawthorne Heights) is like the quintessential Hot Topic emo band for white 15-year-olds, because even their name sounds like a suburb. "My Chemical Romance" sounds like the bottom-shelf-of-the-cereal-aisle version of "My Bloody Valentine," but surely I'm not the first person to make the connection, though probably not phrased that way.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but I don't think there's anything extraordinary about "Sexyback." A slew of people could've done it.

Sure, maybe. But they didn't. That dude from My Chemical Romance could have written David Bowie's "Queen Bitch" or "Purple Rain," but he didn't. Do we really think the artistic merit of a product is linked to that person's unique ability to write a given song, or the fact that many other people hypothetically could have written it? I guess I'm making an argument for New Criticism in music on behalf of "Sexyback." Or maybe I just think that "Sexyback" is pretty innovative and cool anyway.

Syntactical and academic jibba jabba aside, I just think it's a creative, goddamn fun song that's excellent to dance to. Though it's probably only the third or fourth-best song on the album.

I avoided enough radio this year that I probably missed a lot of the worst songs out there. Something by Nickelback or Live or this Hinder band was probably it.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

What's creative about it? The lyrics are nothing special, the vocals have the same distorted processed sound as most pop music, and the production isn't really that remarkable. It just sounds vaguely like "Promiscuous" and surely oodles of other drrrty "I want to fuck you really hard" pop songs that I haven't heard recently.

Come here girl Go ahead, be gone with it

Come to the back Go ahead, be gone with it

VIP Go ahead, be gone with it

Drinks on me Go ahead, be gone with it

Let me see what you’re working with Go ahead, be gone with it

Look at those hips Go ahead, be gone with it

You make me smile Go ahead, be gone with it

Go ahead child Go ahead, be gone with it

And get your sexy on Go ahead, be gone with it

Get your sexy on Go ahead, be gone with it

[Repeat 6 times]

Creative!

Oh well. I can't straddle the fence as well as the rest here when it comes to this whole "catchy pop brilliance" or whatever.

That one James Blunt song...fuck, I can't remember the name of it...

"Goodbye My Lover"...that's it...What a piece of shit that song is.

Did Bon Jovi release anything this year? If they did, that deserves to be on this.

Fergilicious, yes...that song does suck asshole.

As much as I love H.O.V., "Kingdom Come" and it's single pissed me off at how bad they sucked. Jay shoulda stayed retired so the last thing we heard from him was "99 Problems"

Anything by The Fray. They suck something fierce. So do All-American Rejects.

See, normally, I would put MCR and Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Prom or whatever on here, but honestly...it's kinda pointless. Yes, they suck, and yes, if I have to hear "Dance Dance" or "Black Parade" one more time, I'm going to kill myself...but, honestly...it just doesn't matter. There's more "music" being disguised as music out there for me to hate.

Worst song of the year hands down....

Young B - "Chicken Noodle Soup".

Plus it wins worst dance of the year, worst video of the year, worst craze of the year, and worst shit on YouTube of the year.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Does the Mellencamp song in the truck commerical count? I clean my gun to that song and think bad things.