TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Worst Song(s) of 2006

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
For the record Czech, I'm not a big fan of Coney Island either and The Blue Mask is better but a bit flat. He has done better personal albums.

Re: Blue Mask, "Women" is a pretty funny song if Lou was really a misogynistic jerk who beat the shit out of a few whores in his day. Otherwise, it's putrid. "I like women. I think they're really great." There's no way that's supposed to be taken at face value.

EDIT: "Coney Island Baby" is almost a great ballad by anybody but this guy. I mean, he can't sing. EDIT 2: And it would've been a big hit on AM radio without the homosexual implications in parts of the lyrics. Forgot about that part. Anyway, it ends up being a weird song because so many parts are in place to be a conventional hit, but not quite. Whatever.

But anyway, back on topic. I'll rescind "Sexyback," since I was more annoyed by the ancillary catchphrase stuff than the music itself, and cast my vote for "Our Country." The corny lyrics, the feeling you've heard it all before, and the awful ad campaign that permeated every October baseball broadcast and STILL won't go away makes this song a lock for the worst of the year.

I cannot take that song. But I disagree, I don't think it's a terrible song. I guess I'm not like the rest of you, I don't think that a rock song sucks just because it's top 40 mainstream music. I don't think Nickelback is the worst band ever or Panic at the Disco is bad or anything like that. They're songs may be mediocre but I don't think they're neceesarily bad just played too much. That Lips of an Angel song is a good example. It's an okay song if they played it every now and then. But a regular terrestrial rock or mix station will play it like twice an hour, and so I'm so sick of it I hate it.

The first I ever heard of Hinder was when a friend put their CD in, and I hated the whole thing. Then a couple months later, I heard that song when it finally made it to the radio, and I was terrified. The radio overkill only adds to my dislike. I'm just not a big fan of emo-rock and I hate the lead singer's voice. Has nothing to do with them being popular or cool to hate on. I like my share of pop music and mainstream rock, just not these guys (or Nickelback for that matter).

There's a country song called "Tim Mcgraw". It's horrible.

Having to listen to country music for 8 hours a day at work on certain days, I can say for absolute certain that Carrie Underwoods stupid song about tearing up the truck of the guy thats cheating on her makes me want to stab my ear drums with sharp objects repeatedly. But then again most country music does that anyway..I dont know how I make it through 8 hours of it.

I hope Tony Romo nails her in the head with an errant pass one of these days.

O&A's Top 10 Country Song real meanings about 2 months ago was a hillarious bit though.

I cannot take that song. But I disagree, I don't think it's a terrible song. I guess I'm not like the rest of you, I don't think that a rock song sucks just because it's top 40 mainstream music. I don't think Nickelback is the worst band ever or Panic at the Disco is bad or anything like that. They're songs may be mediocre but I don't think they're neceesarily bad just played too much. That Lips of an Angel song is a good example. It's an okay song if they played it every now and then. But a regular terrestrial rock or mix station will play it like twice an hour, and so I'm so sick of it I hate it.

The first I ever heard of Hinder was when a friend put their CD in, and I hated the whole thing. Then a couple months later, I heard that song when it finally made it to the radio, and I was terrified. The radio overkill only adds to my dislike. I'm just not a big fan of emo-rock and I hate the lead singer's voice. Has nothing to do with them being popular or cool to hate on. I like my share of pop music and mainstream rock, just not these guys (or Nickelback for that matter).

That song's bad enough, but when your roommate starts blaring a country version of it... hoo boy.

Question: Are we considering only songs that were released in 2006 as singles, or can it be a song released as a single in 06 from an album out in 2005? If the latter how about anything by 30 Seconds to Mars?

I can kind of see where Corey is coming from regarding Tool, but I've never felt that strongly about it. I really enjoy Opiate and Undertow (in fact Undertow is one of those albums that gets a little better with each listen). Aenima is...okay. It's overrated though, since aside from the 3 main singles on it there isn't much worth writing home about. Lateralus was an album I initially LOATHED and found ponderous and superficial, not to mention overlong. The last CD, 10,000 Days? It took the ponderous stuff that I warmed up to eventually in Lateralus and took it so far in a masturbatory direction that I can't listen to more than 2 or 3 songs on it.

In other words, Tool needs to get back to basics and deliver an album of shorter, harder rocking songs. Enough of playing the same single note for 2 minutes.

FROM THE EAST COAST

TO THE WEST COAST

DOWN THE DIXIE HIGHWAY, BACK HOME

THIS IS OUR COUNTRY

DO DO DO DO DO DOOOO

THIS IS OUUUUR COUNTRY.

Wait...that was a real song? I figured it was written specifically for the truck commercial.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

No. It is very, very real. They even performed it at a World Series game, though it was delayed because Cougar was taking a shit.

Guest Smues

Did that Don't you wish your girlfriend was a whore like me song come out in 2006? It annoyed the shit out of me this year with that beer commercial.

No. It is very, very real. They even performed it at a World Series game, though it was delayed because Cougar was taking a shit.

THESE ARE MYYYYYY FECES

Did that Don't you wish your girlfriend was a whore like me song come out in 2006? It annoyed the shit out of me this year with that beer commercial.

That came out 2006.

I love that "Buttons" was VH1's number 1 song of 2006. Of course, VH1 has gone down the tubes now that they think Chris Fucking booker is funny.

Guest Smues

I was sad VH1 hasn't done a "20 most awesomely bad" songs of 2005 or 2006. The one for 2004 was pretty good (in that I hadn't heard any of the songs and it was like a quick introduction to the shit of the year that was).

Bossy is bad, but there is far more shit out than that song, to the point it almost sounds good. As crappy as it was, "Chicken Noodle Soup" still was worst.

Bossy sucks, but it doesn't really piss me off.

I like Nicole Scherzinger but the rest of PCD annoy me. They were just fine as the club act with the revolving guest leads. Why exactly did they need to become mainstream and watered-down? Let Scherzinger do her solo career (too talented to be wasting her time with this act) and put the PCD back where they belong.

Even so, how can anyone hate on “Buttons”?