TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 1/1 - 1/7

It's really easy to already forget the three two point coversion attempts and Zabransky's terrible throw for the pick six that led to the finish. I'd say overall last year's Rose Bowl was the better game but that sequence in the final minute and a half of the fourth quarter and the overtime ranks up there as one of greatest finishes to a game in not just college football history but sports history.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Why can't the NFL adopt equal-possession overtime? That 49ers-Broncos win was cool, but this was ten times better.

I wouldnt have a problem with regular season games ending that way to avoid the possibilities of ties and all, but In no way should the playoffs be decided by that method.

The fuck? Yeah they should. Would you prefer winning a coin toss and kicking a 38-yard FG and that's it?

If they kick a 38 yard fg, then the other teams defense sucked and couldnt stop em.

BUT THE OPPOSING OFFENSIVE CORPS NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO HIT THE FI(ELD)

Hence the term "sudden death" and the idea that the first team to score wins. It shouldn't be the first team to hold the other team to less points than they scored on their possession wins, thats just stupid. If their defense couldnt stop the team from driving 50+ yards to get in FG position for a 38 yard FG, then they deserved to lose. Last I checked, defense was just as much a part of football as offense.

Pitching is as important as hitting. Should a game end in the top of the 10th before the home team goes to bat? And I know what the term "sudden death" means, dullard. The argument is over whether or not it should be used.

Why is Cinderella yawning?

No need to make fun of some poor GMU graphic design major's work.

Actually the lady explained it to me with a smack to the back of my head and a tale of fairies. Love the message and well wishes though from George Mason, that's classy.

So how far up can Boise realistically go?

I'd have to say 5 or 6.

Wake Forest is the real BCS Cinderella team if were gonna be dishing out that distinction.

Wake Forest has the smallest enrollment of any school to be in a BCS Bowl Game ever. They weren't even picked to finish in the top half of their own Conference, let alone sniff a bowl game, and their last bowl game they played in was 1999, and they've only been to 6 bowls since 1949. But the ACC sucked ass this year so it would only be appropriate I suppose.

Why is Cinderella yawning?

No need to make fun of some poor GMU graphic design major's work.

Actually the lady explained it to me with a smack to the back of my head and a tale of fairies. Love the message and well wishes though from George Mason, that's classy.

So how far up can Boise realistically go?

I'd have to say 5 or 6.

The only team they'll catch as of right now is OU. I don't know about Michigan. They'll take a hit, but I don't know how far they'll fall. LSU and Louisville play tomorrow, so they're still possibilities. Florida would have to get demolished. So, I'd say that barring a surprise result or two (voting and score), the absolute highest they'll probably end up is 6.

They'll pass Wisconsin and Oklahoma for sure, and Louisville and Michigan are very strong possibilities. They should pass USC too although they probably won't. LSU will probably stay ahead of them after they rape Notre Dame although if they win by less than 2 TDs, Boise should go ahead of them as well. They can't really go to #1, and #2's incredibly unlikely, but I could totally see them at #3.

It's really easy to already forget the three two point coversion attempts and Zabransky's terrible throw for the pick six that led to the finish. I'd say overall last year's Rose Bowl was the better game but that sequence in the final minute and a half of the fourth quarter and the overtime ranks up there as one of greatest finishes to a game in not just college football history but sports history.

The more I think about it, the Rose Bowl probably was a better game from start to finish but you can't beat the ending of this game.

The ending of this game had my nerd-ass friends completely absorbed. They were out having a cigarette when the hook and ladder play went down and said they could hear me down the hallway of the building. They had no problem whatsoever watching the rest of it after they saw the replay. That's the fuckin' definition of "you play the games on the field," okay.

I missed the post-game stuff, but it sounds as magical as the 4th quarter-into-overtime sequence was. Give Oklahoma credit. They were up to the task, but seemed too used to playing the traditional powerhouses who don't have a sack the size of THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN TIME ZONE. It's magnificent to see the mid-major that's been pimped for the last several years get their shot and make the most of it in spectacular fashion.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

I heard voices from three different apartments in my complex go "Hoooooooly SHIT!" or a similar phrase when they hit them with a hitch n pitch.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder
Oh, and Snuffy needs to get over the SEC hype. It's warranted. Every mofo in this thread will eat their words when Florida beats Ohio State.

Wanna bet?

EDIT-(and I like the SEC, and hope Florida wins, if it means fucking up the BCS)

The amazing Boise plays were fantastic, but the fact that they came on top of the 2-pt conversion tries and the pick six made them even better. And Peterson's "fuck you, I'm Adrian Peterson" run, too. It was such an absolute up-and-down cycle for both teams for the entire fourth quarter and OT.

Oh, and Snuffy needs to get over the SEC hype. It's warranted. Every mofo in this thread will eat their words when Florida beats Ohio State.

Like how Arkansas beat Wisco? Or how Tennessee beat unranked Penn St?

Guest Princess Leena

2nd straight year where the Game of the Year is wrapped up in the 1st week of January.

That game pretty much shows you why college football blows NFL away.

Quite the opposite. Boise winning is an incredible story... but, that's it. Now people are talking about how they might be #5!!! Woo!! It's like if George Mason got to beat North Carolina, and the end.

Good thing my brothers were watching the Boise State game ( I don't watch any bowl games except for the title game) because I would have missed out on the best ending to a football game that I have seen in my life. I was totally bummed out when OU got the INT for a touchdown but to see Boise State come back like that was beyond words.

2nd straight year where the Game of the Year is wrapped up in the 1st week of January.

That game pretty much shows you why college football blows NFL away.

Quite the opposite. Boise winning is an incredible story... but, that's it. Now people are talking about how they might be #5!!! Woo!! It's like if George Mason got to beat North Carolina, and the end.

Yeah Boise State not having a shot at winning a national titles blows, but in terms of the actual game on the field I completely agree that college football blows the NFL away. The NFL is practically unwatchable IMO.

Damn stupid NCAA needs to realize that if there was a playoff, college football would be just as big if not bigger than the NFL.

I almost went to bed early in the 4th quarter, but something in the back of my head told me "Go to sleep now and then watch tomorrow as it turns out to be a classic"

Glad I listen to my head occasionally!

That seriously might have been the greatest game I've ever seen, certainly the best finale. I did actually stop watching for a while though, around the time it was Boise 28-10. Unreal that they could give up that lead, get down 35-28 on the mother of all Drew Bledsoe INTs, and then pull off the damnedest miracle play I've ever seen to tie it.

It was like "Boise has this thing, if they don't fuck up." "Oh god, OU tied it...if it goes to OT they should take it." "OMG this idiot Zabransky just threw the game away!" Then of course the "WHOAAAAA!" for the TD to tie it. Petersen scores easily in OT and then I was back to "Oklahoma has this now, Boise is spent."

This was a triumph of coaching ingenuity, it really was.