TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

My Old Sports Games

I've been doing some housekeeping around here and I've realized that I have a few games sitting around just taking up space. My Sega Genesis collection for example includes a couple Maddens, a college football game, etc. I still have a Genesis but I don't even have the cables anymore. To top it off, these games aren't even fetching a single dollar on ebay. And the console itself isn't worth maybe $10 anymore. The topic is about old games but to a larger extent my question is, is it worth doing anything with this stuff or is it most efficient just to throw it in the garbage?

Out of the original Genesis systems, the Genesis 3 (and if you count it, the Nomad) is the only one that still fetches a nice buck in the secondary market. Genesis 1 and 2 are common as dirt, and there's not much demand. On the other hand, all versions of the NES and SNES are still sought by folks.

If you had the cables, I'd say give it a away to a local thrift shop or something. However, sometimes local legacy game shops will take them since they probably have lots of extra cables. However, only hit them up if you are going to be there anyway.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Give it to a nephew or something.

Edit: Actually, fuck that. Al, If you go get some cables and shit for it, and it still works, I'll give you 20 bucks for the lot and pay to ship it if you've got some games other than sports, too. PM me if you're interested.

Guest Princess Leena

Trash the system if you don't have the cables.

As for the games, if they're in good condition with the box and instructions, you can get some money from collectors. I got a decent amount selling my old games (most of which were sports). This was like 4-5 years ago, though.

Sadly, the cables will probably cost as much or more than what you could get out out the system regularly.

Ah yes, the endless cycle of football video games at retail: Game is purchased, game drops in price like a rock, new version is released, old one becomes worthless.

I remember once upon a time when people seriously talked about how this was a doomed practice. In the future this won't be necessary! For a nominal fee, you'll be able to pay for a roster update! The games will always be ready with the newest changes!

And much later, we have the technology, but...it's being used for EA to sell us content that's already on the disc. Ah, how naive people can be.

Don't pretty much all the games provide you with enough player creation/trading options that one should be able to keep things up to date, though?

It didn't stop 6 million North Americans from buying the last Madden, natch.