TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Australian Open Thread.

I think he's full of crap. He pulled out of his last event with a "groin injury" when he realized he had no hope of winning the tourney, yet he was running around like a gazelle at the AO in extreme heat. Fernando took him to the woodshed for 2 sets, and I believe he didn't call for an injury TO until midway through the 3rd. He's just a classless guy. I'd almost bet money on him playing Davis Cup in a couple of weeks, even though he's "injured" yet again.

Guest Princess Leena

How does that make Kolya classless?

He enters every tourney. He tries to play all of them, but it's hard to do when he plays literally every week. He made the SF in Doha, and it wasn't intelligent for him to play another week before the Grand Slam.

All players take advantage of the injury timeout rules. It's unfortunate, but it's part of the game.

I was talking about Nadal being classless. Every time he loses lately it's because "I have much muscle fatigue no?" or "hard to play when injury no?"

Fuck you Vaidisova, and everyone else on the bottom half, for letting Serena reach a GS final at close to 2 bills.

Fuck you for quitting in a big match yet AGAIN Kim.

Fuck you Maria and Serena for making me skip the first GS final of the year.

If Roger loses to Rod-dick I'm not going to be able to watch tennis again until Wimbledon.

Wow, it's amazing to watch Federer when he's going all out. Honestly, watching Roddick go to the net on Federer is like watching a small child try to tackle an adult. It's almost pitiful. And it seems like every shot Federer hits is perfect. I'm not a big tennis fan, but I'm really, really enjoying watching Federer tonight. Even as a casual fan, you know you're seeing something amazing.

Less than 1:25 to be exact. This was another Federer match that I had to miss and boy, am I sorry I did. To watch him crush Roddick like that would've been a great hour and a half of my time.

I only watched the first set for Sharapova vs Kimmie, so did Kim quit due to injury or what?

Guest Princess Leena
I was talking about Nadal being classless. Every time he loses lately it's because "I have much muscle fatigue no?" or "hard to play when injury no?"

Oh. I agree with that. Every loss outside of Federer, he makes up the same excuses. He'll get away with it because he's learning English, and his attitude on and off court... but, he definitely shows what a selfish kid he is often.

Guest Princess Leena

Oh, and ESPN better replay THIS Roddick match a handful of times like they do for his early round squashes.

Well I saw some of this match and Federer is just simply a MAN amongst boys. I'm not too fond of Roddick so I'm glad he was taken care of accordingly. The final on paper appears to be a formality at this point. I would love to see Federer break through at the French this year and go on to establish himself as the G.O.A.T. in later years. As far as the women's side goes, I feel obligated to root for Serena since I'm black but I'm not a huge fan of hers so I'll ride with Sharapova.

So I sat through those two horrible women's SF matches that ended at a quarter to 2 and missed Roddick get taken down Adebisi style by Federer because it didn't start until 3:30. Please tell me that's the match on ESPN 2 at 3 PM EST today? It lists Men's SF #1 but I don't know if ESPN will follow through on it or give us a replay of Serena and/or Maria instead.

I only watched the first set for Sharapova vs Kimmie, so did Kim quit due to injury or what?

No, the 2nd set was just a comedy of errors from both players. It was horrid.

Guest Princess Leena

Maria has played quite poorly the entire tournament. The 1st round match obviously. QF against Chak, she blew it in every point. And the Kim match was brutal.

This is easily the worst women's slam I've ever seen. Poor quality of play. Storylines that make you wonder why you watch this crap. Very few close, exciting matches.

I think Roger gets tested in the final by either Haas or Gonzalez. I know Gonzo is 0-10 or whatever against Roger, and Haas has had limited success... but, they're the type of players that can get to Roger, shotmakers. Roger will win, but I think it goes 4, at least. Unless their SF match is a long one.

Serena and Maria have proven to be slightly less worse than the rest of the bunch. Who knew JHH was almost singlehandedly responsible for bringing all of the quality to the women's game?

I slept from 4 pm to 1 am yesterday so I could see the match (wasn't sure how ESPN would handle the replay), and yeah that was an unbelieveable match. That 3rd game of the second set can pretty much pinpoint when Federer ripped his (Roddick's) heart out. Carillo really brought up a good point that while Roddick does need to improve on his approach shots, Federer's footwork is so unreal he can get set for that shot to hit the angles he did. I said earlier I would be shocked if Roddick would win a set against Federer, but the way Roger dominated I did not see coming.

I think Roger gets tested in the final by either Haas or Gonzalez. I know Gonzo is 0-10 or whatever against Roger, and Haas has had limited success... but, they're the type of players that can get to Roger, shotmakers. Roger will win, but I think it goes 4, at least. Unless their SF match is a long one.

Gonzalez is 0-9 against Federer. He's only won two sets in all those games. Nevertheless, it could be a close one for Roger.

Guest Princess Leena

Roddick shouldn't come to net against Roger, ever. The end. The only reason Andy can play at net against other players is because of his huge serve and it puts pressure on his opponents. But, Roger negates Andy's serve. And Andy's horrible volley skill has zero chance if Roger has the slightest opening.

What is he supposed to do? Hang back and lose?

I think the idea is for Roddick to become good at net play and at least have some strategy other than to play a much worse version of the same game Federer plays.

Edit: Federer is just plain much better, I'm not sure that there is a good strategy for Roddick.

Guest Princess Leena

No. Hit forehands, and hope he gets lucky. That's the only part of Roddick's game, outside of his huge serve, that's any sort of weapon vs. a top player. He's a terrible volleyer with no feel.

The other problem is that playing at net isn't a realistic way to win any longer with today's equipment. It's far easier to be accurate with passing shots than it was 10 years ago.

I think Federer has such control over his topper backhand he can lull people into thinking they can hit a good approach shot on him. He really has great control at varying the depths on his backhands.

I managed to catch a replay of Federer vs Roddick and let me tell you, it sometimes felt as if Roger was just toying with Roddick. Other than that game on the first set where Roddick broke Federer's serve because of 4 unforced errors for Roger, the rest of the match was just Federer doing whatever he wanted.

And now as expected, the finals will be Roger vs Gonzalez. Like Leena and I have stated before, Federer is undefeated against Gonzalez but he can't be too overconfident here as Gonzalez is in a pretty hot streak right now and could post a lot of trouble for Roger if he keeps hitting those great first serves and those killer forehands. My prediction is still Federer but it could be a tough one and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a bit worried this time.

Guest Princess Leena

If Roger was playing like he was last year, I'd give Gonzo a serious shot here. But, after watching the Roddick match... no.

Fed's backhand is inhuman. I don't know how he even attempts to pull some of those angles and spins he does. The shot of his that impresses me most is that low, super short backhand slice-ish shot he does that clears the net by a millimeter. The one that almost single handedly gives Hewitt no chance of competing with Roger. And he can hit it consistently.

How do you only make 3 UFE in a match where you also hit 42 winners? Gonzo played out of his mind against Haas.

Guest Princess Leena

No idea. The only time we see stats close to that is on grass with bug servers and volleyers. With Gonzo's big swings and aggressive style, it's impossible to believe.

Another masterpiece to record.

If the two finalists play like they did in the SF... wow.

And this tournament is showing like never before which side should be getting more attention in the sport...

Tommy getting squashed was saddening to me..

I don't follow Tennis.. not one of the sports I can sit down and watch without flipping thru to other stations (Col. Football and Astros games I don't flip thru)

Now I watched the match and yeah.. I can see how Gonzalez has this great talent and some of the shots he made were fuckin fantastic.. but how is this supposed to draw me in to watching the sport when in less than 90 minutes, a guy gets smoked and I'm left to watch replays of older matches?

Now granted, I'm a fan of Roddick and Haas (..Roddick because him and Blake are seemingly the only American players I can root for.. Haas.. I'm 25% German) so when in back to back nights I see both job the hell out, I get disillusioned to the sport.

I don't know, maybe I need someone like Leena or one of the other Tennis followers to hip me up to the game or somethin..

PS: Why all the Roddick hate? Watching a longer clip of his press conference, I thought he handled it well and was just honest with everyone and people I guess take his honesty for him being a dick...

Guest Princess Leena

It depends what you like.

Since I'm a tennis nerd, I watch for the quality of the match. Not necessarily how close they are, because I don't have any favorites (except Elena Bovina, who blows), or when I'm gambling. Kinda like the smark wrestling fans here.

The Roddick hate mostly comes from ESPN replaying all his matches, or having lame pieces on him while there's other live matches going on. ESPN has cooled down on this a little, as it was really bad a few years ago. Plus, Andy is a jerk. He acts very aloof, and he can be a brat on court. Also, some hate his playing style... since his success is mostly due to his serve, and the rest of his game can lack heavily at times.