TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlackFlagg

Rome season 2

Seems like they have a _lot_ to wrap up with only one episode, unfortunately.

Whatever happened to Tymen (sp?) after he accidentally killed his brother, anyway?

Pretty good finale, I thought. Did seem a little rushed at the end, but that was going to be a given either way.

Oh, I'm sure some people aren't happy about the ending, either...given that it was historically inaccurate.

That was really awful. I don't mind the historical inaccuracies too much. Ok, Atia had been dead for 12 years by the time Octavian became princeps, but they used her for the Antony connection, so whatever. But what's with treating Octavian like a chump? I thought the historical side of the show was supposed to be about his rise to power and becoming Augustus, arguably the greatest Roman Emperor in their history. Yet he gets treated as a villain for the entire second season, right down to the very last minute. It's true that he was quite ruthless before his reign (although somewhat exaggerated in the show), but that was ridiculous. At least give the viewers at least somewhat of a full picture. I was most looking forward to the rise of Augustus, and they really botched it.

Bah, I still say the first season was the best TV show ever :P Fuck HBO and BBC though. Caligula and Nero are right there, waiting for a TV show to be made.

If you base it episode for episode it's my favorite show. It sincerly sucks to see it gone so soon.

I liked the ending. Would like to see more, but since it won't happen it'll have to stay around through DVDs.

I ALMOST got misty when Antony was about to take his life. He was my favorite character in the series, I would have liked to have seen more of him and Cleopatra, rather then to do their entire storyline over two episodes.

ALTHOUGH I did not like Vorenus dying cause the little shithead boy couldn't behave

If I had to personally rank HBO series, for me it goes.

1. Rome

2. Deadwood

3. Oz

4. Six Feet Under

5. The Sopranos

Yeah, not the best season finale. I didn't like them just glossing over Actium, and being like "by the way, Anthony lost". Also, Vorenus's death seemed gratuitous. With Cleopatra and Antony already killing themselves, it was like "better kill everybody off, it's the season finale". They should have had another couple episodes in Egypt with Vorenus and Antony in Egypt, established the Antony/Cleopatra thing better and established how Vorenus was missing his children.

Then, when they did the reunion, they should have made it mean more. Have a frank conversation between Vorenus and Vorena the elder where he tells her how he never actually killed her mother and how he went looking for the children almost immediately and killed 20 men, but was told that they'd been killed and thrown in the river. Maybe throw some emotional vulnerability in, telling his children that they're "all he has left" and give them reason to forgive him. Have signs that he's a beaten down, tired old man (it has been 20 years since the start of the series) without just having him quickly stabbed in a meaningless fight with Roman guards.

They should have given Caesarion the axe. That was such a lame cop-out. He should have been older than he was portrayed, so it's not like they'd be killing off a young child. Fictional stuff ruining historical authenticity = sucks.

I had a bit of sadness when Antony offed himself and also would have liked to have seen Vorenus live as well.

Though the best part is when Antony went channelled Joe Pesci after the eunich mocked him

Yes, Vorenus' dying does suck....HBO could have made a spin-off show called "The Wacky Roman Adventures of Lucious Vorenus and Titus Pullo" and I would have gladly watched it.

Antony: "Am I a clown to amuse you?" (or something like that). Yeah, loved it.

We didn't actually see Lucious die, he was near death...but since there won't be another episode I suppose that doesn't matter.

Yeah...it seemed weird that they didn't explicitly mention whether Vorenus died or not. They even had Pullo lie about it to Octavian, IIRC.

My assumption is based on the final shot of the series being Pullo walking off with Cesarion, presumably with the boy under his wing now...no more shots of Vorenus, who was near death the last we saw.

Link

HBO’s "Rome" has trumpeted its last note.

But one question remains.

Is Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) dead?

Don’t answer quickly.

During that melee with soldiers trying to nab Caesarion (Max Baldry), Vorenus was stabbed in the back. Despite his friend Titus Pullo’s (Ray Stevenson) protests, Vorenus said he was dying.

The Roman centurion managed to survive a monthlong trek back to Rome in the back of a cart and was reunited with his children.

The only testimony we have that he died comes from Pullo, who told Octavian (Simon Woods) that Vorenus died. But in that same conversation, Pullo said he had killed Caesarion, and we know that’s a lie.

So what is the truth?

I went right to HBO with my question. And here’s the answer from "Rome" creator and executive producer Bruno Heller:

"Yes, it’s ambiguous," he said in an e-mail via an HBO staffer. "I hope every viewer will decide for themselves whether he lives or dies; but I like to think he survives to live a long, happy and eventful life."

There you have it. The end of "Rome" is up to you.

If you want Vorenus to live, turn to page 62...

I hate that...they pulled that "lack of clousre" crap with Oz. The only main character that had any sort of closure was Ryan O'Rielly, while Schillinger and Said were killed off...what about Beecher? Alvarez? Lame.

Don't get me started on Alvarez's Oz ending...

I like to think that he lived. Stayed bedridden a few months, and then moved the family out of the Aventine (sp) and...I dunno, farmed.

Ambiguous ending, how Japanese of them.

also, and I may need to rewatch, wasn't his oldest daughter STILL basically a bitch to him, even while forgiving him?

I think she ended up forgiving him but didn't say so in as many words. None of that sub-plot was really concluded very satisfactorily