TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Kurt Angle to wrestle for New Japan

Yomiuri Sports reveals this morning that New Japan has succeeded in acquiring the "super-important foreigner" that Simon promised after the Dome show. Former Olympic gold medalist, Kurt Angle, is set to make his New Japan debut on 2/18 at Sumo Hall after Yomiuri reported that an agreement has been reached between the sides. This will be Angle's first match ever for a Japanese promotion, and unsurprisingly former Japanese amateur wrestling stars Nagata and Nakanishi have surfaced as possible opponents for him. Angle was scheduled to appear on the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show, with Nagata and Nakamura both top candidates to face him, but there was a scheduling conflict so it had to be delayed. Yomiuri said this was part of New Japan (finally) making the best use of its working agreement with TNA, and President Simon said this was one of what he hoped would be many dream matches set up in New Japan's 35th anniversary year. Simon also hinted at further foreign participation on the show, as New Japan continues to build on its momentum.

"Super-important foreigner?" I hope that's just a matter of translation, because it's funny as hell. It'll be interesting to see Angle try to work his quasi-WWE style in Japan.

I'm sure in Japan, Angle will wrestle the way he wants to. And sadly, he'll only wrestle that one match, because he will literally kill himself.

Someone should give him a best of Misawa vs. Kobashi tape to watch and study.

He can only do the ankle lock reversal move so many times. For some strange reason I want to see Kurt Angle & Scott Steiner become tag team champions in Japan.

The only way that Angle knows is his own version of the WWE style. Even in his TNA stuff I can't see any noticeable differences.

I concur.

He can only do the ankle lock reversal move so many times. For some strange reason I want to see Kurt Angle & Scott Steiner become tag team champions in Japan.

That has been my dream for many years. The Super Important Foreigners will dominate NJPW in 07.

I wonder if Angle goes with the flow or complains about guys being stiff, because during his tenure in WWE, he seemed to openly complain anytime something was stiff...

If he complains about stiff shots then a match with Nagata or Nakanishi is definitely not the place for him. Nakanishi is fucking huge, btw. You have to see this guy in person to appreciate how fucking big he is.

I hope he wrestles Nakanishi because Nagata doesn't need yet another job after having a stellar match with Suzuki. I'd rather see Nagata face Angle but only if he gets the win, which has little chance of happenening.

Stuart did mention NJPW was looking at a tag match. Nagata & Angle vs. Nakamura & Bernard could be fun.

I hope he wrestles Nakanishi because Nagata doesn't need yet another job after having a stellar match with Suzuki. I'd rather see Nagata face Angle but only if he gets the win, which has little chance of happenening.

Stuart did mention NJPW was looking at a tag match. Nagata & Angle vs. Nakamura & Bernard could be fun.

Add Nakamura to the list of guys I'd like to see stiff the shit out of Angle. :)

The Japan-U.S. dream team of Yuji Nagata and Kurt Angle will officially unite at Sumo Hall next month! President Simon announced today that they will face two wrestlers Angle will know very well, BLACK's Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko in what will be Angle and Bernard's first reunion in a while. Both Tanahashi and Nakamura have said they want singles matches with Angle, but Nakamura didn't fawn over Angle's abilities like Nagata and Tanahashi, saying "How much can he do after so many injuries?" and saying he isn't afraid of Angle's "American hero" status. You'll notice looking at the 2/18 card that the mentor/disciple team of Kanemoto and Wataru are challenging for both of New Japan's top titles, big chances for both.

NJPW, 2/18/07 (WPW/PPV)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Minoru © vs. Wataru Inoue

2. Kurt Angle & Yuji Nagata vs. Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko

3. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs. Koji Kanemoto