TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

College Basketball 06/07

Guest Queen Leelee

I agree about the comparison of K-State.

I'd like to hear why Illinois is so worthy.

They don't have much in the way of big road wins, but they won pretty much every game they were supposed to win. Their only home losses were to Maryland, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Even their road losses aren't that bad as the worst two they have are to Iowa and Michigan. When you start looking at 9 and 10 seeds, just winning all the games that you're "supposed to" win is a huge accomplishment.

Drexel by contrast has 6 bad losses (to teams outside the Top 100 on the road or outside the Top 50 at home) and Old Dominion has 3. Honestly, just about all the bubble teams have at least 3 or 4 bad losses, and the Illini don't have a single one. Add in a win against a Top 25 team at a netural site (Indiana), and Illinois's got one more win that you'd expect a good team to have given their schedule. Most of the other teams that you can say that about (more surprisingly good wins than bad losses) are in the 6 to 7 seed line. I don't think Illinois should be that high, but I do think that a 9 seed or so is fair.

The head of the selection committe was on CBS on Saturday. It sounded like so many bubble teams had bad road records, that it sounded like it may not be that much of a factor.

I think the main argument against Illinois is that they are sooooo boring. Did anyone actually WATCH that shit game with IU the other night? How can a game go to OT and still almost put the viewer to sleep? That said, Illinois has a solid RPI (28 currently) and finished in the semis of the Big 10, so I don't really see how they can be left out.

I hope WVU doesn't get screwed over due to losing to U of L in double OT the other night. WVU is definitely a tourney caliber team in my view, but do they have the credentials? Personally I'd put em in over Kansas St. simply because I think WVU is a better team than Kansas St. As in Best of 7 series....I'd take WVU 4-2. Kansas St. is a team that is 1 and done most likely, but I can see WVU getting hot from 3 pt. range and upsetting some people.

Boring (to some people, only) is definitly not a valid argument against inclusion in the tournament.

Good Big Ten teams can be viewed as the Pernell Whitaker of college basketball.

Guest Queen Leelee
Boring (to some people, only) is definitly not a valid argument against inclusion in the tournament.

True.

But, some of the "experts" on ESPN seriously think West Virginia deserve to be in because "they can shoot 3's and thus can beat anyone".

True.

But, some of the "experts" on ESPN seriously think West Virginia deserve to be in because "they can shoot 3's and thus can beat anyone".

These same people charge the public to look at their RPI standings, which is ridiculous when you consider you can get plenty, some updated by the hour on days like today, that are just as accurate and FREE.

Hey, at least WVU CAN get hot from outside and possibly beat someone that is a top seed. Someone like Illinois or Kansas St. isn't going to do anything of note.

And yes, I know being boring isn't a valid reason for exclusion itself, but it's a reason why someone is debated for exclusion. A team like Illinois isn't exactly impressive when you see them....they've lost 10+ games and most of the wins are of the yawn inducing 55-52 variety. In the end the committee will say "Ugh, I guess we gotta put them in...."

I'll project the #1 seeds: UCLA (I think they still get one), Ohio St., Florida, and UNC. If Wisconsin wins today then maybe sub them in for UCLA. If not the 2 seeds will be Wisconsin, Kansas, Memphis, and Georgetown.

Guest Eagle Man

Illinois's spirit has been crushed because the Chief was taken away from them. I mean, shit, why bother even getting an at-large.

My number #1's are Wisconsin, Florida (but Kansas if they win today instead), UCLA and Ohio State.

I don't know if you've ever watched K-State. They're way talented. If they get in as a 12, I guarantee that they will win a game.

I think Florida's a #1 regardless. The others will be the winner of Ohio St./Wisconsin, North Carolina and Kansas.

This year feels like you have the problem where you can make a case for every bubble team. Last year, a couple of teams you couldn't make a case for if you tried for hours. I honestly don't know who the hell gets in. I think G Tech should be the only lock considering who they had to beat to even remain on the bubble but I'm not part of the selection process. I really am not getting the K-State thing except they might get to play the famous coach card although said famous coach doesn't exactly have the greatest resume of success in the NCAA tournament.

Last year they said out of conference schedule was the most important thing. We'll see if that holds water or if they have decided to go for something else.

Anyone going to a 1st/2nd round game? Depending on who makes it, I'll probably make a grab for the Lexington or Columbus games.

I know it won't happen but I'd like CBS to release the entire field at least by the 30 minute mark. Don't spend 20 minutes talking about the #1 seeds.

All right, here's my final bracket of who I think should get what spots based on merit:

1: Ohio State, Florida, North Carolina, Kansas

2: Wisconsin, UCLA, Georgetown, Memphis

3: Texas A&M, S. Illinois, Oregon, Pittsburgh

4: Texas, Notre Dame, Washington State, Maryland

5: Duke, Butler, Arizona, Nevada

6: Michigan State, UNLV, Winthrop, Georgia Tech

7: Tennessee, Indiana, Virginia, Kentucky

8: Louisville, USC, Boston College, Villanova

9: BYU, Marquette, Virginia Tech, Illinois

10: Creighton, Missouri State, Clemson, Stanford

11: Florida State, Purdue, Vanderiblt, VCU

12: Xavier, Gonzaga, Davidson, Wright State

Last four out: Syracuse, Old Dominion, Drexel, Texas Tech

After lots of detailed analysis, ODU and Drexel were much closer than I originally thought, but still didn't quite make the final cut. Air Force was also just barely a snub.

I might consider going to Lexington if U of L ends up seeded there.

Here are three rules I have in regards to the tourney: 1. The Wake Forest Rule. Namely they didn't do shit with Tim Duncan, so they won't do shit now. 2. The Huggins Rule. If Bob Huggins didn't get past the 2nd round with his best Cincy teams, why would he start now? 3. The Kansas Rule. At some point, I don't care when or what round, Kansas will inevitably choke. Of course, this year only rules 2 and 3 apply.

Guest Queen Leelee
A&M Corpus Christi got into the tournament. Yay for former independents!

Hey, independents are my thing.

And we don't support the former ones.

GT as a 6? You fucking homer.

I'd really like to see Winthrop get a 7, at the very least. It's the committee's chance to show they actually do work in seeding teams.

A&M Corpus Christi got into the tournament. Yay for former independents!

Hey, independents are my thing.

And we don't support the former ones.

GT as a 6? You fucking homer.

I'd really like to see Winthrop get a 7, at the very least. It's the committee's chance to show they actually do work in seeding teams.

Not being a homer. I just put a ton of stock in the Sagarin ratings and they have Georgia Tech at #19. I originally had the Jackets as a 7 seed, but after looking over Indiana closer, I felt like I really needed to drop them, and GT's overall resume was slightly better than that of Tennessee or Virginia.

Yeah, they got the four 1 seeds right, but I'm really surprised to see Florida get the #1 overall seed over Ohio State. The Buckeyes have far and away the best resume this year.