TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The Condemned

Well, the Condemned is a complete and totally bomb at the box office. For the weekend it came in at #9 with 4 million with an average of $1,731. That's even worse than the lowest number that I predicted. Here is the complete top ten:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

1) Disturbia

2) The Invisible

3) Next

4) Fracture

5) Blades of Glory

6) Meet the Robinsons

7) Hot Fuzz

8) Vacancy

9) The Condemned

10) Are We Done Yet?

Has anybody seen the movie besides me? That's a bad sign for the box office if only one person on a wrestling message board has seen a movie targeted towards wrestling fan.

There are a lot of folks in the TSM community who don't actually watch WWE (anymore). I gave up on it quite a while ago. Plus, this is a smark board anyway.

Well yeah I rarely watch it myself (I wanted to see it because I'm a fan of cheesy action movies), but still there are plenty of folks who do watch it. Maybe everybody just gave up after The Marine and See No Evil.

I'm glad Hot Fuzz is #7, now that was a damn good movie. Word of mouth must be getting out about it. Hopefully this means Spaced will come out on DVD but I digress.

I feel weird defending The Condemned so much since I didn't really it like that much. It's a decent bad movie, maybe worth a rental if you like that sort of stuff.

Austin has to be freaked over this to some degree. Let's face it, Cena doesn't need a movie to make huge money since he's still currently a top wrestling star. I doubt Kane really figured on a serious movie career either, even though he's at the point of considering retirement.

But Austin? His wrestling career is finished and he really needed this movie to make some amount of money. One aspect of this tanking that has gone unexplored is that Austin frankly hasn't even been worth a shit in WWE in 5 years. Hell, I can hardly stomach his TV appearances on Raw.

I'm in the opinion that the Kane and Cena movies set the expectations so low that nobody is willing to pay $10-15 at the Loews, AMC, Cinemark megaplex no matter who is the star of the movie.

Has the movie been advertised outside of wrestling shows, because I gotta say, the only trailer or commercials I have seen have been online.

I saw quite a bit of promotion for it, but I could tell from the get go that it was going to bomb.

But honestly, with proper promotion, it looks like a mindless action flick that people don't mind seeing. No reason it should be a ultra bomb like this.

But honestly, with proper promotion, it looks like a mindless action flick that people don't mind seeing. No reason it should be a ultra bomb like this.

If it had someone like Jason Stratham or Vin Diesel in it, it might have done better. But most people don't know who stone cold is nowadays. Really, you need a famous name to carry a rather mindless action movie.

Did anybody go on the talk show circuit to promote the film and were there any interviews with tv shows like Entertainment Tonight, Extra, Access?

Did anybody go on the talk show circuit to promote the film and were there any interviews with tv shows like Entertainment Tonight, Extra, Access?

He was on Road Rules...

If it had someone like Jason Stratham or Vin Diesel in it, it might have done better. But most people don't know who stone cold is nowadays. Really, you need a famous name to carry a rather mindless action movie.

But who was Jason Stratham before the Transporter? He wasn't a famous name in the US as most of the public hadn't seen Snatch LS&2SB. And that movie made a nice amount of money, mostly because of advertising showing Stratham kick a door in. They made the movie look cool so people went and saw it.

Same for Diesel and Pitch Black. Before that he was just that stupid dude from Saving Private Ryan. If you make a mindless action flick look cool people will see it and I think this is where the Condemned failed. they didn't make a big enough noise for it.

I would think its because they didn't expect to make that much money anyway thus didn't want to spend money on advertising.

So I hear Cigarette Smoking Man (William B Davis) from the X-Files is in this. Can anyone confirm if he get's more than 10 minutes screen time in this? If so, I may have to download it.