TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

high school shenanigans

Are you one of those teachers that gets extremely pissed when proven wrong by a student?

I'm going to guess 'yes'

-=Mike

Guest CWMwasmurdered

We had a teacher that thought like C-bacon in High School. We walked all over him and he loved it.

Why do we have schools based on telling kids what to do? It makes no more sense than kids telling teachers what to do. Children are not inferior to adults, so why must they do what adults say? Just "because?" I believe that workers ought not to be told what to do by their bosses but ultimately you can quit a job if you find it unsatisfactory. Kids can't do the same. They are slaves to the system. Apparently some American states have harsh truancy laws that can get the kid or their parents in trouble with the law if a kid skips school. I agree it's not the same as political repression but it is oppression of young people who are denied the right to control their own destiny. I believe kids should be considered our social equals (more importantly, their parents' and teachers' social equals), anything less than equality is slavery.

As to Jerk's idea that kids lack the "self-discipline" needed to educate themselves, I think kids are naturally curious and love learning and exploring the world around them, and it's not until they get to school that they become frustrated because their learning becomes dictated from above. Schools are what teach kids how to hate learning. They are not just part of the problem, they are the problem and so cannot be part of the solution.

edit: And really, you can't actually teach anything. People learn things that they want to learn on their own, and if they don't want to learn them they don't. "Teaching" can only get in the way. At best you can facilitate self-directed learning. That's why kids learn nothing in schools - they memorize to pass tests, but that is not learning.

What's this thread about again?

Mike Jones

Who?

"green-witch" instead of "grennich" is not permissible for anybody teaching geography.

We have a fairly major road here called Greenwich Rd, so it gets mentioned on TV/radio a lot, and it always irks me when I hear people say it "green-witch" instead of the proper way.

It is funny though when I say "Grennich Road" and then get a blank stare because they don't realize I'm talking about "Green-witch Road"

Why do we have schools based on telling kids what to do? It makes no more sense than kids telling teachers what to do. Children are not inferior to adults, so why must they do what adults say? Just "because?" I believe that workers ought not to be told what to do by their bosses but ultimately you can quit a job if you find it unsatisfactory. Kids can't do the same. They are slaves to the system. Apparently some American states have harsh truancy laws that can get the kid or their parents in trouble with the law if a kid skips school. I agree it's not the same as political repression but it is oppression of young people who are denied the right to control their own destiny. I believe kids should be considered our social equals (more importantly, their parents' and teachers' social equals), anything less than equality is slavery.

As to Jerk's idea that kids lack the "self-discipline" needed to educate themselves, I think kids are naturally curious and love learning and exploring the world around them, and it's not until they get to school that they become frustrated because their learning becomes dictated from above. Schools are what teach kids how to hate learning. They are not just part of the problem, they are the problem and so cannot be part of the solution.

edit: And really, you can't actually teach anything. People learn things that they want to learn on their own, and if they don't want to learn them they don't. "Teaching" can only get in the way. At best you can facilitate self-directed learning. That's why kids learn nothing in schools - they memorize to pass tests, but that is not learning.

Two things are painfully obvious:

• C-Bacon does not have kids.

C-Bacon has never worked with kids.

Geez, I'm glad that I'm hangin' and bangin' in sunny Florida and not wasting away my days arguing on an internet wrestling messageboard (ha! ha!). Some of the opinions presented, I feel, are so off the mark and idyllistic and wrong that I just don't know how to respond. I agree with The Jerk for the most part (and seeing how he has experience in a teaching setting, and, by the way, that remark about there being no such thing as 'teaching' was absolutely ludicrous, I think he has good insight. I also have some experience in this setting, so maybe it's different for different people). On the topic of iPods and cellphones at school, I would like to raise these two points on the 'con' side of the discussion:

1. As far as saying that there's no harm in allowing students to use music devices on their own time, I agree with that. However, like it or not, there's a large minority of students that, if iPods were allowed in school, would use them during classtime causing disruptions. Unfortunately, in a school-where students are minors and have rights, yes, but limited rights, the good students have to suffer for the bad. I don't think it's a case of students being punished for having new technology; I think it's a case of the administration seeing these devices as deterrents to teaching and, thus, choose to disallow them in their schools. As far as cellphones, why do kids need phones at school? Who the Hell do they need to talk to during school hours that they aren't either in school with or related to? If their parents need to get in touch with them, there are very simple procedures to follow that will allow them to talk to their children. Call the school, say you need to talk to your child for whatever reason. Not that hard. As far as the ludicrous statement that kids need phones to take video of mean teachers...when you look at something like that and automatically assume the student's POV, you're using circular logic to support your own agenda. What about what the student may have done five minutes before the video that caused the teacher to become distempered? When you see videos of that, most times, you're only seeing what the student wants you to see.

2. If you allow students to bring iPods and cellphones to school, what about the kids that don't have/can't afford iPods or cellphones? Of course they'd be teased mercilessly or feel bad about themselves and their families for not being ablt to afford these things. School is not supposed to be a social function. It's supposed to be about teaching and learning. There are enough distractions in schools without allowing iPods and cellphones. I feel that an education is something worse sacrificing things for, and, if it means that I can't listen to my iPod or call my friends or play the demo of 'Lemonade Tycoon' on my phone, I think that's worth it.

The further I get from my High School years, the more I look back at my beliefs from that time period and go "What the Hell was I thinking?" I don't know if my perspectives just changed so much, but I just sometimes have a really hard time wrapping my head around these High School kids that bitch and moan and decry their lack of freedom because they can't bring a phone to school. Oh well, that's my two cents. I'm going back to hangin' and/or bangin'.

C-Bacon: Enough with the emoticons. It's starting to invoke memories of CronoT, and that's not a good thing.

That out of the way, I'll side with you this one time, since it's fun to see Jerk overreact.

I can picture Jerk getting all riled up and screaming at his students. On a daily basis.

"NO! I'm right! I have a college degree & that makes me the smarter!"

idyllistic

Idealistic.

I agree with the guy who said teachers should be paid more.

Barack Hussein Obama (cigarette smoker) (radical Muslim) (black separatist) said that there's no reason an excellent teacher at the peak of his/her career shouldn't make $100K.

Also, all teachers in KY get a $3500 raise next year. Booya~!

The school system is a trust set up by the community. Teachers have authority over students because they are given that authority by proxy from the parents. Is the parent/child system also supposed to be an equal relationship? Of course not. Proposing that children have an equal relationship with their educators assumes a naive world view that simply does not exist in the real world. Even assuming kids desired to learn, they are for the most part immature and make bad decisions in life.

Hussein Osama is a non-black black separatist, smitty.

I agree that good teachers are underpaid. But I also think most teenagers are qualified to listen to music while in study hall or between classes so I must also believe teachers are evil oppressors.

Guest Eagle Man
We had a teacher that thought like C-bacon in High School. We walked all over him and he loved it.

Yeah, but somehow, I think he got the last laugh.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

Social Studies. He also taught Woodworking which I also did well in. I actually always did extremely well in English, I even took advanced classes. My spelling sucked but otherwise I did very well.

Kids should listen to their music in class. It's their own choice if they want to learn or not, and comes at the end of the term, they'll get that hard earned F.

The school system is a trust set up by the community. Teachers have authority over students because they are given that authority by proxy from the parents. Is the parent/child system also supposed to be an equal relationship? Of course not. Proposing that children have an equal relationship with their educators assumes a naive world view that simply does not exist in the real world. Even assuming kids desired to learn, they are for the most part immature and make bad decisions in life.

Bingo. alkeiper summed it up more eloquently than I could.

C-Bacon, I hope you never have children. The way you're talking right now, they'd probably just end up on social welfare or whatever they have up in Canada. Of course, you'd probably be proud of them at that point for sticking it to the man.

"C-Bacon Jr, I need you to take out the garbage"

"Fuck you, dad"

"Allright, way to stick it to me, son!"

Best post in the thread.

Invader is officially below C-bacon now. I blame them dang kids 'n' their highfalootin' gizmos 'n' whatnots.

Get over this 'snuffbox hates conservatives' shit. Barry Goldwater is my motherfucking hero. When you get all grandpa-y and blame everyithing on kids/Mexicans/etc you're not being conservative, you're not advocating small govt, you are just being a troglodyte.

Talking like an idiot Andy Griffith cast member doesn't make you conservative. Nor does advocating the expense of multiple billions to get rid of Mexican people or blacks in the ghettos.

Are you one of those teachers that gets extremely pissed when proven wrong by a student?

Jerk reaching new lows.

I'm going to guess 'yes'

And now Jerk has officially gone below C-bacon as well. What a thread.

I can picture Jerk getting all riled up and screaming at his students. On a daily basis.

"NO! I'm right! I have a college degree & that makes me the smarter!"

I want everyone to take note of who it was that resorted to petty personal insults when they couldn't get everyone to agree with them.

Everyone who says I act like MikeSC needs to take a look at who the real culprit is, thread after thread after thread.