TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

high school shenanigans

You want more proof, watch that new TV show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?". Taking some of the smartest of the smart and making them look like buffoons; it's supposed to be funny because they can't answer the questions, but when you look past that you realize that it's really a mockery of the American educational system.

I refuse to believe that anything featuring Jeff Foxworthy could be considered deep and subtle satire

Invader is officially below C-bacon now. I blame them dang kids 'n' their highfalootin' gizmos 'n' whatnots.

Why? What did I say that you don't agree with? All you ever fall back on is your stupid "conservatives are crotchety old people" statements.

Get over this 'snuffbox hates conservatives' shit. Barry Goldwater is my motherfucking hero. When you get all grandpa-y and blame everyithing on kids/Mexicans/etc you're not being conservative, you're not advocating small govt, you are just being a troglodyte.

Talking like an idiot Andy Griffith cast member doesn't make you conservative. Nor does advocating the expense of multiple billions to get rid of Mexican people or blacks in the ghettos.

Invader, do you really believe you are better than some people and others better than you?

Accepting that children are oppressed means accepting our own roles as oppressor and oppressed. This is not easy because it's personal. It means we have oppressed and been oppressed by our siblings. It means our parents have been our oppressors. However, since we all have the experience of being both oppressor and oppressed anyway, due to racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism, this really isn't anything new. But it is personal. The personal is political.

What's this thread about again?

People thinking kids are to blame for everything wrong with education vs. people who think that faulty educators and decisions play no small role in the ills of schools.

Invader, do you really believe you are better than some people and others better than you?

Accepting that children are oppressed means accepting our own roles as oppressor and oppressed. This is not easy because it's personal. It means we have oppressed and been oppressed by our siblings. It means our parents have been our oppressors. However, since we all have the experience of being both oppressor and oppressed anyway, due to racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism, this really isn't anything new. But it is personal. The personal is political.

Telling a kid he can't listen to his iPod while he's supposed to be doing school work isn't even in the same ballpark as political oppression.

There's no reason music players shouldn't be allowed. But a better question is who is a teacher to "allow" or "disallow" anything at all?

All government happens with the consent of the governed. Teachers only have power over students because students accept it as fact. What would happen if they didn't?

People thinking kids are to blame for everything wrong with education vs. people who think that faulty educators and decisions play no small role in the ills of schools.

I thought we were talking about iPods.

There's no reason music players shouldn't be allowed. But a better question is who is a teacher to "allow" or "disallow" anything at all?

All government happens with the consent of the governed. Teachers only have power over students because students accept it as fact. What would happen if they didn't?

Viva la revolucion!

Why is it that the kids are supposedly only listening to music DURING class while a teacher is talking? Is it not conceivable that they could listen to them (harmlessley) during study halls, lunch time, while reading silently, in the hallways between classes, while running a mile during gym class, etc?

Yeah, this is the first time a thread has moved on to a broader subject.

But a better question is who is a teacher to "allow" or "disallow" anything at all?

The person who's job it is to teach the kids something.

Really hard to do that if he's got an iPod in his ears.

I will point out though, that I don't see a need to ban music devices unless they're actually causing problems; I carried my CD player everywhere I went in high school, but I never turned it on between bells.

Why is it that the kids are supposedly only listening to music DURING class while a teacher is talking? Is it not conceivable that they could listen to them (harmlessley) during study halls, lunch time, while reading silently, in the hallways between classes, while running a mile during gym class, etc?

Well, that goes back to my point about kids wanting to be in class in the first place. And the essence of the student-teacher relationship remain one based on control, not one based on equality and comradeship. Until that changes you're going to continue to see the problems caused by dysfunctional relationships, and that's what all problems in schools really are.

Is it that hard to just not allow the ipods to be used while the teacher is talking? It has to be an outright ban covering the entire school day on the entire school property to accomplish this?

I got away with a few classes worth of listening to music. I threaded the earbuds under my shirt and put my hood up. Of course, the fact that I was all of a sudden wearing my hood up during certain points of class drew enough attention.

The consent comes from their parents, not the children. Children are not allowed to vote.

Yeah, this is the first time a thread has moved on to a broader subject.

The "broader subject" seems to be that anyone who expects kids to follow rules that were put in place for their own good are evil oppressors who are ruining America.

Is it that hard to just not allow the ipods to be used while the teacher is talking?

I'm not sure how kids are supposed to concentrated on their school work when they've got "My Humps" blaring in their ears.

Guest Eagle Man

*ding*

Who said they're evil oppressors?

Why does it have to be a Black Eyed Peas song that you dont like? It couldnt be classical music or Radiohead or something else that a student might feel helps him/her concentrate on a book/assignment etc?

Is it possible, Jerk, that some people might learn best in different ways than others?

Are you one of those teachers that gets extremely pissed when proven wrong by a student?

Guest Eagle Man
Kids shouldn't have CD players in school. There's no valid reason for it. It's just a distraction.

Books are distractions, if you're reading something you want to read that isn't germane to the class you're sitting in. It's the same thing, especially since with technological developments, getting your copy of Gravity's Rainbow, at $20+tax, might actually be more expensive than a CD player. Do we ban books? What do kids get to have at any given time? Or is this just about banning gizmos and doodads because in Your Day, they didn't exist, and clearly, this means that everybody "respected their elders"?

Who said they're evil oppressors?

Ahem.

Not seeing 'evil' in there anywhere.

I actually was reprimanded in high school for reading in class. I would just leave the room. So, yeah, we probably should ban books as well as the dang gadgets.

What's this "we" shit? Are you even part of the educational establishment? Have you ever worked in education, or taught a class?

I like how people who have don't even have anything to do with education, either as a student or a professional, are getting so worked up because a Catholic school in Canada isn't going to let kids have iPods anymore.

I'm only a teacher, so I can only control what the rules are in my class, but if the administration of my building or district had a policy where these were banned, I'd enforce it whether I agreed with it or not. The teachers aren't the ones who made these policies, so the repetitive anti-teacher comments being made on this thread are pretty irrelevant.

Jerk reaching new lows.

Are you one of those teachers that gets extremely pissed when proven wrong by a student?

I'm going to guess 'yes'

Guest Eagle Man
Jerk reaching new lows.

I'm going to guess 'yes'

I had a geography teacher--yes, geography--who, for the life of her, could not figure out how to pronounce British locations. Saying "eeden-burg" instead of "eddin-burra," I could let by (but I didn't), but "green-witch" instead of "grennich" is not permissible for anybody teaching geography. She was hopping mad when I proved her wrong on that one.

What's this "we" shit? Are you even part of the educational establishment? Have you ever worked in education, or taught a class?

Great, now I feel like we're discussing Chicago Bears/Green Bay Packers fans.