TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

RIP: Arnold Skaaland

From PWInsider:

ARNOLD SKAALAND PASSES AWAY

by Mike Johnson @ 1:50:00 PM on 3/14/2007

World Wrestling Entertainment announced this afternoon that "Golden Boy" Arnold Skaaland passed away.

Although he wrestled for the WWWF and held the Tag Team championship with Spiros Arion, Skaaland was best known for his role as a manager of both Bob Backlund and Bruno Sammartino during their Heavyweight championship reigns.

Skaaland is perhaps most remembered for throwing in the towel when Backlund was trapped in the Iron Sheik's camel clutch, giving up the championship and paving the way for Hulk Hogan to win the title from the Sheik.

Skaaland worked in the WWF's front office for years, as a partner to Vince McMahon Sr. and as a handler for Andre the Giant, helping Andre when he was working in the Northeast. Skaaland and his long-time wife Betty had remained involved with WWE until the time of his passing.

The then-WWF inducted Skaaland into their Hall of Fame in 1994, making him a member of their first Hall of Fame class.

On behalf of everyone involved with PWInsider.com, we'd like to express our deepest condolences to the family, friends, and fans of Arnold Skaaland.

So far for 2007:

-Bam Bam Bigelow

-Mike Awesome

-Bad News Allen/Brown

-Ernie Ladd

-Arnold Skaaland

How old was Mr. Skaaland? He must've been in his 70s or 80s, I assume.

82 according to WWE.com

Don't think we've had someone that died recently that reached that age since Blassie and Stu Hart passed on.

Guest DogOn

This reminds me of when the IWC was freaking out over all of the deaths in 2003. This could be another golden year for the grim reaper.

I love reading about all of the 1930's and 1940's wrestlers.

This reminds me of when the IWC was freaking out over all of the deaths in 2003. This could be another golden year for the grim reaper.

I love reading about all of the 1930's and 1940's wrestlers.

02 was a bad year too- Wahoo, Lou Thesz, Davey Boy, the Mass Transit fatass all died within a few weeks of each other.

03 was Hennig, Hawk and Crash.