Los Angeles over St.Louis in 7

Los Angeles over LAAoA in 6

AL MVP-Derek Jeter

NL MVP-Albert Pujos

AL Cy Young-Johan Santana

NL Cy Young-Jake Peavy

AL ROY-Daisuke Matsuzaka

NL ROY-Chris B. Young

See a few people picking Josh Hamilton for ROY.

The magnitude of how much of a story that would be is pretty large. One of the best stories ever.

I'd just be happy if he stays in the bigs all year.

Hamilton making the bigs at all is a pretty stunning development. Personally, I would take it with a grain of salt until he actually makes it to the bigs and produces. Realistically, we're talking about a 25 year old with no professional experience above A ball. He's hit in 14 Spring Training games against the back end of teams. Josh Hamilton is 19 for 39, and yes that is superficially impressive. Willie Bloomquist is 20 for 49. Todd Linden is 20 for 50. Michael Ryan is 17 for 40. Matt Kata is 15 for 31. Maybe this is real talent from Josh Hamilton. But Spring Training numbers are MEANINGLESS. I can't stress that enough.

And there's nothing really in Hamilton's minor league numbers to suggest that he'll be a top tier player. He didn't really have great power, with only 33 total homeruns in 6 seasons and a cumulative .293 average. Good numbers, no doubt, but nothing overly spectacularly different from many other minor leaguers. I mainly predicted he'd be ROY because it would be an awesome story, but, realistically, I think Chris Young or Kouzmanoff will get it, or perhaps it'll be somebody from out of left field that'll come up a few weeks into the season or something.

American League:

East

Boston

New York (wild card)

Toronto

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

Central

Minnesota

Detroit

Chicago

Cleveland

Kansas City

West

Oakland

Los Angeles

Texas

Seattle

National League:

East

New York

Philadelphia

Florida

Atlanta

Washington

Central

St. Louis

Chicago

Milwaukee

Houston

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

West

Los Angeles

San Diego (wild card)

San Fransisco

Colorado

Arizona

ALDS: Oakland over New York, Minnesota over Boston

NLDS: Los Angeles over San Diego, New York over St. Louis

ALCS: Oakland over Minnesota

NLCS: New York over Los Angeles

WS: New York over Oakland

Giving Rookie of the Year awards to Kaz Sazaki and Ichiro in 2000 and 2001, but not to Hideki Matsui in 2003 because he "wasn't a true rookie" and turning around now and giving it to Matzusaka is beyond criminal.

Angel Berroa had a higher OPS, hit more HRs, scored more runs, stole 21 bases and did it all from a premium defensive position. Matsui wasn't really robbed in 2003. Berroa, by some freak occurrence, was actually the better player.

I don't see how Hamilton is going to be RoY when he probably won't even be in the starting lineup on a regular basis. He'd probably be the Reds' fifth outfielder, and he doesn't have the option to DH.

AL East

Boston

New York

Toronto

Tampa

Baltimore

Central

Twins

Indians (WC)

Tigers

White Sox

Royals

West

Angels

A's

Mariners

Rangers

NL East

Phillies

Braves

Mets

Marlins

Nationals

Central

Milwaukee (Why not? They are full of potential and none of the other teams are that much better)

St. Louis

Chicago

Cincinatti

Pittsburgh

Houston

West

Dodgers

Padres (WC)

D'Backs

Rockies

Giants

AL MVP & Cy Young: Johan Santana, MIN

ROY: Daisuke Matsuzaka, BOS

NL MVP: Albert Pujols, STL

Cy Young: Jason Schmidt, LAD

ROY: No clue.

american league

al west

yanks

boston

jays

devil rays

orioles

al central

detroit

twins

indians

sox

royals

al west

a's

angels

rangers

mariners

nl east (will be most competitve)

phillies

mets

braves

marlins

nationals

nl central

brewers

cubs

cardinals

reds

astros

pirates

nl west

dodgers

diamondbacks

rockies

padres

giants

al wildcard: twins

nl wildcard: mets

mets vs. dodgers - dodgers

phillies vs. brewers - phillies

dodgers vs. phillies - dodgers

tigers vs. a's - tigers

twins vs. yankees - twins

tigers vs. twins - tigers

dodgers vs. tigers - dodgers

AL East

New York

Boston (Wildcard)

Toronto

Tampa Bay

Baltimore

AL Central

Minnesota

Detroit

Cleveland

Chicago

Kansas City

AL West

Texas

Los Angeles

Oakland

Seattle

NL East

Philadelphia

New York (Wildcard)

Atlanta

Florida

Washington

NL Central

St. Louis

Milwaukee

Chicago

Houston

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

NL West

San Diego

Los Angeles

Colorado

Arizona

San Francisco

Playoffs

Yankees over Rangers

Twins over Red Sox

Phillies over Padres

Cardinals over Mets

Yankees over Twins

Phillies over Cardinals

World Series: Yankees over Phillies

OK..I honestly dont care enough about the other 5 divisions in baseball to give my opinion on the races, but the trend of Orioles in last place for 9/10s of your picks annoys me. They are not a last place team, they are not worse than the freakin Devil Rays. They are not even a 4th place team, as they are better than the Blue Jays. In any other stupid division besides the AL East I'd dare say they would be a contender and have at least a shot at something better than 3rd place...but given the givens..they are a 3rd place team in the AL East.

Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera and Adam Loewen will be awesome this year. The back end of the rotation is iffy..Trachsel has looked like crap so far..Wright has been bleh but servicable as a #4 or 5..Penn is pissing people off in the organization with his work ethic so far this spring so who knows if he'll even be with the big club out of spring. But 3/5s of the rotation is iron clad guaranteed (baring no injuries) to be one of the best trios in baseball..The bullpen will almost have to be an improvement over last year (I dont even feel like naming names out of last years bullpen that weren't ready for the majors but brought up anyway and thrown to the lions just because they had no one else that could get the job done). Adding Jay Payton and Aubrey Huff will almost certainly mean an improvement over last years offense with guys that had no right to be starting on a major league roster some times from an offensive standpoint (looking squarely at guys like Brandon Fahey, Jeff Fiorentino, David Newhan, Chris Gomez, Fernando Tatis, Luis Terrerro and a cast of others I cant even remember)

Theres no freaking way the Os finish in last place, the team they have is NOT worse than the Devil Rays and theres absolutely no logical reason for so many of you having them in last place. 4th place I can deal with because they've finished in 4th place for the last decade practically..BUT I think if you actually consider it a bit deeper they are better than the Blue Jays.

The Orioles have compiled a better record than the Blue Jays once in the last nine years. The last finished above .500 in 1997. What exactly have they done to merit a third place prediction? They have an ace in Erik Bedard and a nice prospect in Adam Loewen. That's not enough. The Jays have Halladay and Burnett. The Orioles have one legitimate offensive star in Miguel Tejada, the Jays have three with Vernon Wells, Frank Thomas and Troy Glaus. The Jays won 87 games last year and added Frank Thomas.

The Orioles look good if they existed in a vacuum. They're not, the other 29 teams made move to improve their teams as well. I would pick them 4th, but 5th place is more likely than 3rd.

So what, Ramon Hernandez is chopped liver offensively? Aubrey Huff despite declining #s over the last few years has hit 20 HRs in 5 straight seasons and I think playing at Camden Yards should if nothing else at least facilitate a 6th straight season. How likely is Frank Thomas to hit close to 40 HRs and drive in over 100 again? And dont forget to mention the Jays lost Ted Lilly who was a big part of their rotation last year. And if we're going to say the Orioles have only finished better than the Jays once in the last nine years, then lets just go ahead and mention that they haven't finished worse than the Devil Rays in those same nine years either. Theres no way they are worse than the Devil Rays this year either, despite everyone saying that (not just on here I see).

And dont forget to mention the Jays lost Ted Lilly who was a big part of their rotation last year.

Not really. He was quite average last year. He looks like a big part because the rest of their rotation aside from Doc and A.J. was somewhat below average.

And dont forget to mention the Jays lost Ted Lilly who was a big part of their rotation last year.

Not really. He was quite average last year. He looks like a big part because the rest of their rotation aside from Doc and A.J. was somewhat below average.

He won 15 games..Id think a 15 game winner would be an important part of any rotation.

I was looking at the Jays Rotation just a few minutes ago after I posted that..theres no mistaking Halladay for being one of the best pitchers in baseball. Burnett can't stay healthy for a whole season and Chacin wasnt that great last year despite promise. Apparently 4 and 5 are up in the air despite the signings of Ohka and Thompson.

NL East:

Phillies

Mets

Marlins

Braves

Nationals

NL Central:

Brewers

Cubs

Cardinals

Astros

Reds

Pirates

NL West:

Dodgers

Padres

D-Backs

Rockies

Giants

AL East:

Yankees

Red Sox

D-Rays

Blue Jays

Orioles

AL Central:

Twins

Tigers

Indians

White Sox

Royals

AL West:

Angels

A's

Rangers

Mariners

NLDS:Phillies over Cubs; Dodgers over Brewers

ALDS: Twins over Angels; Yankees over Tigers

NLCS: Dodgers over Phillies

ALCS: Twins over Yankees

WS: Dodgers over Twins

NL ROY: Chris Young - D-Backs

AL ROY: Alex Gordon - Royals

NL CY: Scott Olsen - Marlins

AL CY: Johan Santana - Twins

NL MVP: Ryan Howard - Phillies

AL MVP: Joe Mauer - Twins

He won 15 games..Id think a 15 game winner would be an important part of any rotation.

His offence won him 15 games. He averaged nearly 6 runs a game in run support. He could have easily gone 10-15 or something similar last year, and then you'd be saying he wasn't that great, which shows how useless wins are as a statistic.

OK..I honestly dont care enough about the other 5 divisions in baseball to give my opinion on the races, but the trend of Orioles in last place for 9/10s of your picks annoys me. They are not a last place team, they are not worse than the freakin Devil Rays. They are not even a 4th place team, as they are better than the Blue Jays. In any other stupid division besides the AL East I'd dare say they would be a contender and have at least a shot at something better than 3rd place...but given the givens..they are a 3rd place team in the AL East.

The Rays and O's are both 70-75 win ballclubs. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter who you choose for 4th and 5th? Neither is going to be a contender in any sense of the word. They are mired in baseball mediocrity. I would assume that most are picking the Rays to finish ahead of the Orioles because they are team on the way up, packed with tons of interesting talent. The O's are on the opposite spectrum... a middling franchise that plugs holes with journeymen and underperforming AAAA talent.

I know this is your team and you want to be optimistic, but when you look at things objectively there isn't a lot to be excited about. Bedard is a legitimate no. 1 starter and one of most underrated pitchers in baseball. After that, there's some potential and some question marks. With the exception of Markakis, the offense is aging and lacking impact bats. The big offseason acquisitions were Huff and a bunch of bullpen arms. That's like trying to fix a severed leg with a band-aid. It's a misuse of resources because it doesn't nothing to solve the real deficiencies of the team.

PECOTA projects the Jays to win 80, the Rays to win 78 and the Orioles to win 74. That's close enough that injuries, slumps and breakout performances could shuffle them up greatly. Sit back and have fun.

AL East

Boston

New York

Toronto

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

Comments: I realize that it's tantamount to heresy, but I think that the Yankees have a decent shot of falling out of the playoff picture. The bench and rotation is as bad as it's been in years, and the bullpen doesn't look to have a reliable bridge to Rivera. ARod may bounce back a bit and Cano could improve further, but Mientkiewicz is set to waste away plate appearances at first and almost everybody else is one year removed from their glory years. The Abreu deal saved their season last year, but I can't hardly see a ripoff of that magnitude occurring again. As for the Baltimore/Tampa Bay battle, I give the edge to the Orioles, primarily because Tampa doesn't really have much pitching outside of Kazmir and maybe James Shields.

AL Central

Detroit

Minnesota

Cleveland

Chicago

Kansas City

Comments: Francisco Liriano would make the Twins my favorite to take the pennant, but his absence (and the addition of Gary Sheffield) brings the Tigers to the forefront of the American League again. Cleveland will be in the hunt to the very end but, unless they manage to swing a deal for an impact starting pitcher midseason, their pitching will once again keep them out of the playoffs. The White Sox are in the same boat; bunting and grittiness can't save a pitching staff that looks to take yet another step backwards. The Royals won't be great - I don't even see them approaching 75 wins - but they could give teams absolute fits this year, especially if they find a way to employ an actual shortstop this year.

AL West

Oakland

Los Angeles

Texas

Seattle

Comments: The A's don't appear to be as strong as last year, but they should still have enough to take the weakest division in the league. With improvements to the pitching staff and the apparent karmic reward for Buck Showalter's departure, the Rangers are poised to do more damage this year, but will probably have to settle for spoiling the Angels' bid for the playoffs. The Mariners have a real shot at turning in the worst record in the AL this year, though the prospect of seeing Jose Guillen and Jeff Weaver match up against the Angels should make for decent entertainment, at the very least.

NL East

Philadelphia

New York

Atlanta

Florida

Washington

Comments: The heightened expectations for the Phillies are more a function of the Mets taking a downturn than anything else; New York needs everything to fall into place to have a league-average rotation, let along a good one. Atlanta will probably do more spoiling than contending, but watch out for them if they manage to trade one of their prospects for a decent mid-rotation starter. Florida still doesn't have a real centerfielder and will need almost half a dozen players to repeat their career years to stay in contention. The Nationals may very well lose 110 games this year.

NL Central

Chicago

Milwaukee

St. Louis

Houston

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Comments: It will be a very tight race for the NL Central crown, but I think the Cubs can edge out the Brewers by virtue of a stronger offense. The Cardinals are in the same boat as their 2006 NLCS opponents - there's a lot that needs to fall into place for that rotation to work, most notably the addition of The Braden Looper Experience. The Astros should be a great team next year, once Pence can take the outfield and Burke can supplant Biggio at the keystone, but they look to be in a re-tooling year this year; don't be surprised if the Reds leapfrog them, especially if Homer Bailey makes his debut early on in the season. The Pirates will be pesky, as always, but I don't see them going too much farther than their usual 70 win output.

NL West

Arizona

San Diego

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Colorado

Comments: Thanks to the overall mediocrity of the NL, I think it's feasible to see another bottom feeder reverse their fortunes very quickly and the Diamondbacks look like they could be in the driver's seat for this year, with all of their young talent finally coming into focus. San Diego and Los Angeles will make it a tight race all the way down to the last year of the season, but the holes on offense for both teams may be too much to overcome. The mania over the home run record should help distract from the fact that the Giants are a really bad team; the Rockies will be much closer to toppling them for the glory of fourth place than you'd expect.

Playoffs

ALDS: Tigers over A's, Red Sox over Twins

NLDS: Cubs over Diamondbacks, Phillies over Brewers

ALCS: Tigers over Red Sox

NLCS: Cubs over Phillies

WS: Tigers over Cubs, in a rematch of the 1945 World Series.

NL ROY: Chris Young - D-Backs

AL ROY: Alex Gordon - Royals

NL CY: Roy Oswalt - Astros

AL CY: Johan Santana - Twins

NL MVP: Albert Pujols - Cardinals

AL MVP: David Ortiz - Red Sox

I just want to know when baseball fans (as a whole) are going to realize that wins are not an indicator of a pitcher's greatness.

Probably never, but it still bugs.

Guest Queen Leelee

The D-Rays will likely suck once again... but, there's hope with Delmon Young and the Jap 3B. And if Baldelli stops being Ken Griffey III. The O's pitching simply sucks outside of Bedard and the closer. And like cheech says, you've got a lot of aging bats and scrubs, which doesn't make the O's a very "trendy" team.

Everyuone freakin forgets D-Cab, but he started showing late last year what he could do if he fixed his control problems.

157 K / 130 H / 104 BB / 17 Wild Pitches in 148IP

If he even cuts his walk total in half this year, and pitches in more innings than he did last year (due to getting sent down to the minors to get things fixed, which happened because he realized he needed vision correction) then he is going to have an outstanding season.  The amazing thing was he only allowed 85 runs with all those walks..it could have been way more..I saw him walk the bases loaded with no outs only to strike out the side and strand the runners..and hes also got the stuff to pitch complete games (2 last year). His last start was an almost no hitter (broken up in the 9th, 1 hitter) at yankee stadium..

That's a big, big if. How many pitchers of his ilk cut their walk total in half? I drew up a list of players with Cabrera's walk and strikeout totals. Guess how many cut their strikeout rate in half. Try zero. You've got Nolan Ryan and J.R. Richard, and then some guys who either flamed out (Mitch Williams, Herb Score) or had mediocre careers (Eric Plunk, Jason Bere). Nolan Ryan was a once in a lifetime pitcher. Cabrera could have a great season, but you can't count on it.

Marv, it's hard to defend the Orioles on potential alone when their prospects have rarely lived up to their potential. Sure, they have the potential of three great starters but that's been a familiar song and dance. Your best bet? Make your pick, shut your mouth, hope they deliver on the potential and then just smile knowing you called it and enjoy it. Arguing potential against proven is a losing war man.

The O's offense has potential to do things. But it is a lot of ifs. If they get all the ifs in order? Sure, anything is possible but it would require a lot. A full healthy very productive season from both Hernandez and Huff. Markakis and Patterson to continue to eccel. Mora and Miggy to come up better in the clutch, Roberts to get his speed back and remain healthy. There isn't question that Loewen, D-Cab and Bedard have the POTENTIAL to be good to great pitchers but that's also a leap of faith betting on potential alone since they could also end up being complete busts. The Pirates pitchers have potential, doesn't mean people are going to peg them to win the World Series and they have actually added some nice pieces.

The O's are a wait and see situation. Getting a pick of 3rd is a damn miracle based on potential alone. Be fine with the fifth place predictions, if they are wrong then the confusion is priceless enough. Gotta deal with the reality the O's are still a LOT more question marks than answers.

Yeah, I gotta agree with everyone about Baltimore here. How can anyone definitively say they're better than Toronto and likely to finish at least third? I agree that Tampa is a joke, maybe even worse than they've been in the past, and there's no way Baltimore should finish last. But in that tough division, I don't exactly see Baltimore shaking things up.

Like everyone said, they just don't have the pitching to compete in that division. You can say all you want about the lineup, but they've had a nasty offense for years (many times better than what they're putting out there now) and it still hasn't equated to a winning record. Even when they got off to that great start in '05, reality quickly caught up with them.

The offense really isn't as good as you're making it out to be anyway. Not that they're bad, but I don't see how you can expect them to overperform. The lineup is full of guys that have already had career years that you can't expect them to approach. Can you honestly see Tejada, Roberts, Mora, Millar, Huff, and even Patterson doing anything that exceeds what they've already done? If their best wasn't good enough to catapult this team over .500, what's the difference now? It's a dangerous lineup but it doesn't match up to the Yanks or Sox.

Everyone says the starting pitching is full of potential, but I've never liked guys like Bedard or Cabrera. Maybe I'm guilty of slighting Bedard but I just don't like the guy. I mean, you're going to war with Jaret Wright as your number 3 or 4 starter in arguably the toughest top-heavy division in baseball... really?

The one thing I will say is that the bullpen is much improved: Baez, Bradford, and Walker are all really good pickups. On a good team that would make a world of difference, but with this squad, how much impact will it have? I like Ray a lot, but like everyone said, it all comes down to the starting pitching.

I'm no Toronto fanboy, but on paper the Jays have a better team. The lineup might not look as impressive but BJ Ryan is a pretty dominant closer and Halladay and Burnett crap on any starter the O's have. You could make the argument that if you combine the two starting rotations, Bedard is the only Baltimore pitcher that would make the cut.

I don't see how anyone can consider Baltimore higher than the 9th or 10th best team in the AL at this point. I can appreciate the optomism of a die-hard fan, but if you're really banking on all the "what if's" to pan out, prepare to be disappointed.