TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anubis

WrestleMania 24 venue officially announced

I wasn't trying to diss TNA. But regardless of building size or whatever, calling Orlando "TNA Country" is crazy.

SIDE STORY:

I went to Orlando for Spring Break. TNA runs out of the old Universal (not the superior Islands of Adventure) lot, right down Nickelodeon Alley in Stage 18. In case anyone was curious.

Anyone wanna start speculating where the Silver Anniversary Mania is going to be? Unless Garden V: The Mega Garden Explodes is ready and Cablevision has made nice on the rental rates, it's possible it won't be in NY. Honda Center would be nice again for the 3rd time.

I don't think MSG III is going to be built anytime soon.

I think if they want to book at large venue in the West Coast, they should rent out the Rose Bowl, Colisseum, or the University of Phoenix Stadium (Cardinals Stadium).

If they want to wrestle in an open air facitlity they should at least head somewhere with a retractable roof in case of bad weather. Isn't the new Dallas Cowboy stadium going to have a retractible roof? Why not wait a couple years until that is built.

Perhaps they'll have Summerslam, etc, back at the new Wembley Stadium in the next few years. Retractable roof and 90,000 seats...could put the WMIII bullshit to bed once and for all! :lol:

To be fair, TNA runs 2-3 shows per month and their building's capacity is much smaller than that of the arenas WWE runs.

Oh, come on. TNA wouldn't even be able to fill Orlando's TD Waterhouse, Orlando Centroplex, or whatever they're calling it now unless the admission was FREE, as it is for their TV tapings and PPV shows in Orlando. Orlando is far, FAR, from being "TNA country."

They need to do Wrestlemania in Milwaukee...how about Miller Park? Misterio could come down Bernie Brewer's slide. It would be sweet. If it rains, they can close the roof.

Will they use a amusement park theme or a beach theme for the ads?

WWE WrestleMania XXIV: The Big Ride.

You do have the obvious Splash Mountain promo ripe for the taking.

cool. do you think this could start a rivalry between wwe and tna? i could see tna invading wrestlemania in one way or another, leading to another monday night war etc

cool. do you think this could start a rivalry between wwe and tna? i could see tna invading wrestlemania in one way or another, leading to another monday night war etc

No, no and no.

What happens if it rains?

) The fans get a bit wet

2) Less pyro

3) More potential slipping on the entranceway

4) A thoroughly memorable show

5) Vince challenges God to a match.

What happens if it rains?

) The fans get a bit wet

2) Less pyro

3) More potential slipping on the entranceway

4) A thoroughly memorable show

5) Vince challenges God to a match.

And then gets struck down by lightning. The ultimate end to the Mr. McMahon character!

The Citrus Bowl is a kind of aging facility, so I bet Vince is paying way cheaper to rent it out compared to any dome or say Dolphins Stadium.

On an unrealted note, I wish Syracue University would drop thier ban on WWE from the Carrier Dome (put in place b/c WWE has shown violence against women or some PC BS like that). It'd be a logical place to host WM.

For those of you that have never seen this place, and I'm being totally serious when I say that this is a shitty stadium.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...do_citrus.shtml

As someone who's always interested in stadiums, arenas and that kind of shit, the only reason this venue's being used is because of the cheap cost. Not to mention, it has one regular tenant (University of Central Florida) and they run two bowl games out of the location each year, so they aren't going to turn any renters down. It's a very shitty venue. They'd be way better off running out of the Orange Bowl.

Guest whizzo
If they want to wrestle in an open air facitlity they should at least head somewhere with a retractable roof in case of bad weather. Isn't the new Dallas Cowboy stadium going to have a retractible roof? Why not wait a couple years until that is built.

Perhaps they'll have Summerslam, etc, back at the new Wembley Stadium in the next few years. Retractable roof and 90,000 seats...could put the WMIII bullshit to bed once and for all! :lol:

The Wembley Retractable roof only covers the seats. Cardiff Millenium Stadium is 80,000 seats with a full retractable roof but has about a tenth of the glamour of wembley

The Wembley Retractable roof only covers the seats. Cardiff Millenium Stadium is 80,000 seats with a full retractable roof but has about a tenth of the glamour of wembley

I had no idea that the Wembley roof only covered the seats. Seems odd...

But the capacity for non-football events is low, too:

90,000 (Football)

75,000 (Concerts)

60,000 (Athletics)

Which seems odd...

Either way, it'd be a good venue to use - and better than the Millenium Stadium, for sure!

For those of you that have never seen this place, and I'm being totally serious when I say that this is a shitty stadium.

As someone who's always interested in stadiums, arenas and that kind of shit, the only reason this venue's being used is because of the cheap cost. Not to mention, it has one regular tenant (University of Central Florida) and they run two bowl games out of the location each year, so they aren't going to turn any renters down. It's a very shitty venue. They'd be way better off running out of the Orange Bowl.

I've never seen the Orange Bowl, but if you're saying it's better there than the Citrus Bowl must be even worse off now than when I was there a few years back. I wasn't a big fan of the place. Why not Jacksonville? Alltel Stadium is built with a lower stance for better lines of sight, is newer, and it's still in Florida.

I've never seen the Orange Bowl, but if you're saying it's better there than the Citrus Bowl must be even worse off now than when I was there a few years back. I wasn't a big fan of the place. Why not Jacksonville? Alltel Stadium is built with a lower stance for better lines of sight, is newer, and it's still in Florida.

I live in the Jacksonville area....Alltel Stadium was actually the old Gator Bowl Stadium...For the Jaguars they demolished 90 percent of the stadium and rebuilt it as Alltel Stadium..a $135 millon renovation plus another $63 million upgrade the year Alltel held the Super Bowl a couple of years ago...it's about 70 degrees out now which seems like good Outdoor weather...rain doesnt usually kick in until May here though...A helluva lot better than the Citrus Bowl...

There's all kinds of reasons to run out of the Orange Bowl, at least from my point of view.

The venue's held Super Bowl's, National Title Games, Orange Bowl's (obviously, lawl), and a GAB card. Plus it's got name recognition and it's in Miami. I mean, just the fact that it's in Miami's enough, but they probably want too much for rent. I don't even care about wrestling anymore, I just decided to post in here because, well, I love talking about stadiums and arenas.

Honestly, I can't think of a good reason to operate out of the Citrus Bowl other than the fact that it's big and cheap to rent. Here's some info for people that don't already know about the place.

In 2004, the Capital One Bowl, held at the Citrus Bowl, bid to become a BCS game, but was not chosen, due to the stadium's aging condition. The Citrus Bowl also submitted a bid for the ACC Championship Game, but lost out to Jacksonville's Alltel Stadium. The key reasons for losing the bids are the lack of modern luxury boxes, bench seating, and capacity. If the stadium is rehabilitated, many experts believe that since Orlando is a large, tourist-based city with an abundance of hotel rooms, it could attract more events, including the Super Bowl. If it is not refurbished, many fear the stadium could eventually lose the remainder of their tenants, and risk being demolished.

Honestly, now. Fuckin' bench seating? Here's what it looks like when full.

53493.jpeg

I don't see a jumbotron (in those pictures from earlier where you could conceivably watch two people wrestling and get a good view, and I don't think any of those upper level seats would provide you with a good view either.

Guest Anubis
I'm fucking there, no doubt.

If I'd pay my bucks and go there, I'd watch the show rather than *oops* around. ;)

Of course, but there's always that Women's Title/Divas match where you can take advantage of a break, right?

Mh..okay, you got a point there. :lol:

Guest Anubis

C'mon, they've held WrestleMania in Las Vegas once and even without WrestleMania the city still has so much more events to offer you can't even watch them all. Florida hasn't been blessed with one single WrestleMania yet so it's about time. Plus they got that huge (yet shitty) football stadium Nevada lacks. I think they should continue going to the big stadiums and arenas. It sure comes along pretty cool on TV and fits the biggest stage of 'em all just fine.

Will they use a amusement park theme or a beach theme for the ads?

Beaches are a long, long way away. I could see a gator/swamp theme, though. That is the natural lay of the land out there, and the only other regional phenomenon is hurricanes and that would be considered inappropriate. Although they could use "Rock You Like a Hurricane" for a theme and probably get away without any PR damage.

An amusement park theme isn't likely. They've done both WMs 12 and 16 (not to mention a crapload of regular TV) from a building right outside Disneyland and never mentioned it once.

I knew they weren't coming back to Las Vegas. Assholes.

Not with a building as old as T&M. NBA used it and then dissed the hell out of by bitching about all the money they had to spend on additional electrical systems and so on. At this point, we probably won't even see another Vengenace-style show until they upgrade the building. A Mania is just impossible unless Oscar's tribute to himself manages to get forced through the taxpayers.

Fuckin' A if they're going to put a stadium downtown, though. There's enough room in there for that and World Market without Grand Central and the freeway just shutting down? I think not. And to think the Spaghetti Bowl was just starting to improve again.

All this talk of TNA. TNA will be dead by the time WrestleMania comes around blah blah Russo blah blah Jarrett blah.

(Somebody had to say it. And HTQ never seems to post outside TNA folder anymore. :P )

The odds of WWE having a WrestleMania live from England are, sadly, slim. I forget how they got around time difference for Summerslam '92, but there must have been some sort of a sacrifice one way or another. Which is why it hasn't happened since. New Wembley would be a hell of a venue though, even though I doubt they'd sell it out or get a crowd the likes of SS 92.

The odds of WWE having a WrestleMania live from England are, sadly, slim. I forget how they got around time difference for Summerslam '92, but there must have been some sort of a sacrifice one way or another. Which is why it hasn't happened since. New Wembley would be a hell of a venue though, even though I doubt they'd sell it out or get a crowd the likes of SS 92.

Can't see a Wrestlemania as such, no, and the problems with time difference do cause problems with other events. Just from memory, SS92 started getting dark-ish around half-way through, which would have been, I guess, 10pm-ish UK time.

Still amazed SS92 sold out as well as it did, given the lack of WWF coverage in the UK at the time - thought as you suggest, those days of huge crowds are gone.

Perhaps when the global territory system starts... :D