TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

Monoprice.com

S-Video is WAYY overrated.

Eh. Not really. Its just better than composite.

HDMI is way overrated in my eyes.

Guest Queen Leelee

S-Video isn't overrated. It makes a huge difference on my old satellite receiver over composite.

While some of those prices are great, that's nothing special for the TV cables...

HDMI overrated? HDMI is 10 times better than component and 1000 times better than composite.

And S-Video does nothing for me.

I'd say S-video is overrated, because most descriptions even say that it is a little boost but not that much.

HDMI is not overrated in the least, however with most modern technology there are a lot of variables that determine the outcome of the picture you see on your TV. A lot of people get HDMI cables, but then forget minor details like changing their DVD player settings to WIDESCREEN(because the default is almost always 4:3) and something as trivial as THAT, can render HDMI useless.

Or if they have a upconverting DVD player, they don't change the settings from 480p to 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

Ah, cause i hook up my HDTV to my computer whenever i want to watch shows i recorded w/ my TV Tuner card, and my graphics card has a HD break out pod w/ the 5 RCA's. But it also has a S video. And to get audio over i have to use a 3.5 to left and right RCA's.

HDMI overrated? HDMI is 10 times better than component and 1000 times better than composite.

The thing that makes HDMI overrated is that sitting at a normal distance away from your television, the Video signal is not drastic enough to justify the cost. From DVI to HDMI, video wise is pretty much a waste of time. Now in the Audio department, yeah, it is great to be able to get such great audio and video out of one cable, but once again, if you have a digital output, the cost isn't justified. The advantages of HDMI are pretty much a cleaner hookup, A somewhat better video signal than component (once again, at normal distances. We don't watch TV like the Peanut characters) and better audio if you don't have a digital output. All at 10-15 times the cost of component hook ups.

Now, I paid like 8 bucks each for my HDMI cables so yeah, at that price HDMI is not overrated, but seeing as most consumers are paying 80-150 for HDMI cables, it is overrated.

People get way too caught up in some technobabble and forget that they still have to see the image with human eyes.

Now, I paid like 8 bucks each for my HDMI cables so yeah, at that price HDMI is not overrated, but seeing as most consumers are paying 80-150 for HDMI cables, it is overrated.

That's not overrated, the people spending that amount of money on a stupid cable just need a slap in the head.

But it is when you consider that people are paying that much because they are being told that HDMI is offering them the most amazing picture quality ever and component isn't even close, when in most setups, the difference is indeed minimal.

Most people aren't just going online and realizing that HDMI is carrying a digital signal, so either you have it or you don't, so paying 120 bucks for a gold plated double insulated Monster cable is dumb. The VAST majority of consumers are paying alot of money for these cables, only because they believe it to be so superior.

The thing that makes HDMI overrated is that sitting at a normal distance away from your television, the Video signal is not drastic enough to justify the cost. From DVI to HDMI, video wise is pretty much a waste of time. Now in the Audio department, yeah, it is great to be able to get such great audio and video out of one cable, but once again, if you have a digital output, the cost isn't justified. The advantages of HDMI are pretty much a cleaner hookup, A somewhat better video signal than component (once again, at normal distances. We don't watch TV like the Peanut characters) and better audio if you don't have a digital output. All at 10-15 times the cost of component hook ups.

People get way too caught up in some technobabble and forget that they still have to see the image with human eyes.

I can tell the difference from a normal distance. The picture is more detailed and the colors pop more.

And you can upconvert DVDs through HDMI and not component. Right there makes it not overrated. Plus if you have a HDMI receiver, you get MUCH better sound than cox or optical. And you can get uncompressed PCM and TrueHD, if you have a BR or HD-DVD player.

People spending $100 on a cord is because they are dumb. It doesn't make it overrated. If they did research, they would know you can get one for $8 online.