TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

If that's what they are going for than no sir, I don't like it.

The out of control make up/chemicalwhathaveyou(as the Joker lies about his past and isn't even sure himself) gives him too much of a sloppy look; it's just too much. What is so creepy about the real Joker's look is how controlled it is, an excellent contradiction to his mad personality and in the better drawn comics his crazy eyes.

Except the out of control look is how Joker SHOULD look.

If that's what they are going for than no sir, I don't like it.

The out of control make up/chemicalwhathaveyou(as the Joker lies about his past and isn't even sure himself) gives him too much of a sloppy look; it's just too much. What is so creepy about the real Joker's look is how controlled it is, an excellent contradiction to his mad personality and in the better drawn comics his crazy eyes.

Except the out of control look is how Joker SHOULD look.

There is no SHOULD in art. What type of comment is this?

Personally, I find a lunatic who looks neat and controlled far more disturbing and intresting than one that looks completely spontaneous. This has always been the creepy appeal of the Joker's look and actions, a sensible logic behind the insainty. He is crazy for sure, but he's not random. It's hard to pass judgement this early, but I don't like the direction this picture suggests.

Because with a situation like Joker, who got the way he got by falling in chemical, it makes no sense for him to come out of it with a neatly arranged look. He should come out all blotchy and messy, as per with chemical burns.

Because with a situation like Joker, who got the way he got by falling in chemical, it makes no sense for him to come out of it with a neatly arranged look. He should come out all blotchy and messy, as per with chemical burns.

Well (and no one seems to remember this) at least in the 80s Batman movie they explained that Joker got plastic surgery after the acid bath to get his new, cleaner faced look.

I thought that the comic book people hated how Joker was portrayed in the original Batman movie? I don't know if they would follow that plot point in this reboot. I'm just saying that initially Joker's face should look like a mess. Whether he corrects it or not, is up to the director and writer.

I personally don't know if they hated it or not...as I wasn't even in my 10s when the 89 Batman came out.

I was just pointing out that at least they explained why he didn't look like a burned up mess.

"Because with a situation like Joker, who got the way he got by falling in chemical, it makes no sense for him to come out of it with a neatly arranged look. He should come out all blotchy and messy, as per with chemical burns."

Well, we don't know what backstory they are using to explain the Joker if any. Why are you so certain?

Were led to believe the chemical backstory in "Killing Joke" might be true and but again, all that did was make his skin pale and dye his hair green. There was no plastic surgery or freaky disfigurement, nor is there any rule that says he has to look sloppy. Yet who knows what story they are going for in the movie?

"I thought that the comic book people hated how Joker was portrayed in the original Batman movie?"

Because Jack and Burton made him into a goofy power hungry clown; he also just happened to kill Bat's parents for some reason making it about simple payback. He wasn't the complex Joker character we loved in the comics.

"Because with a situation like Joker, who got the way he got by falling in chemical, it makes no sense for him to come out of it with a neatly arranged look. He should come out all blotchy and messy, as per with chemical burns."

Well, we don't know what backstory they are using to explain the Joker if any. Why are you so certain?

Were led to believe the chemical backstory in "Killing Joke" might be true and but again, all that did was make his skin pale and dye his hair green. There was no plastic surgery or freaky disfigurement, nor is there any rule that says he has to look sloppy. Yet who knows what story they are going for in the movie?

You're right. But that is the direction I'm inferring from the picture posted, the one you don't like.

"You're right. But that is the direction I'm inferring from the picture posted, the one you don't like."

I'm completely lost as to what your point is?

The will Joker look however Nolan and company decide he will look, and I'm free to object to their vision of the character(though I stress I'm holding final judgement until the pic is put in context ). I fail to see how the Joker SHOULD look any particular way, all I know is what I prefer.

BTW: The pic looks like a disfigured man wearing smeared on makeup, not chemical colored burns.

I'm sorry if my explanation is going over your head, but you made it clear of your preference, so we'll leave it at that. I like how it looks because it looks like a real serial killer with a few loose nuts in his head. Moreso than any "methodical" look that Joker could possibly have.

"I'm sorry if my explanation is going over your head"

No, your comments just weren't adding up to anything that was remotley relevant to my original post. Get off your high horse, you didn't outwit anybody.

"I like how it looks because it looks like a real serial killer with a few loose nuts in his head. Moreso than any "methodical" look that Joker could possibly have."

Now if you just said this, you would have saved some considerable trouble. Instead, you tried to argue about how the traditional Joker look wouldn't make sense because you believe they are going with a traditional Joker origin story....see your not making sense. Fact is Nolan justed wanted to give him a fresh look that in his mind is probably more creepier than the traditional Joker, it has nothing to do with the internal logic of the comic book story.

This is like:

"I prefer the old Superman look. "

"But that doesn't make sense, he came from another planet." Eh....

"What a thrilling discussion we have going on here."

If The Joker isn't worth the most tedious of pointless discussion, than who is? Go read something that is thrilling, it's probably more thrilling than complaining in a thread you don't find thrilling. Seriously, I've been trying to salvage something interesting out of this(more sutble looking vs. messy Joker to continue the topic from the previous page), but it just isn't happening.

"Hey, Coffin Surfer just wanted to press on the issue after I explained how the out of control look fit the traditional storyline of how Joker came to be."

Sure, it could probably work. Never said it wouldn't. Like I keep saying and you keep ignoring, the Joker doesn't have to be any set way and I'm holding out before passing final judgement. Must I quote myself? My issue was your apparent argument that the more subtle looking Joker of the comics doesn't make sense in regards to his own backstory...which is just silly and I've said enough on the matter.

You:

"Because with a situation like Joker, who got the way he got by falling in chemical, it makes no sense for him to come out of it with a neatly arranged look. He should come out all blotchy and messy, as per with chemical burns. "

Does the quote feature have some new look to it?

I'm a fan of the messy Joker look. That being said, I'd like to reserve judgment until we see a really clear shot.

From Superhero Hype: Superhero Hype

The new image of Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight has now been removed from IBelieveinHarveyDentToo.com. It's been replaced with red text that gives the error, "Page not found." If you highlight the entire page, however, you'll see a ton of Ha Ha Ha's with some letters here and there that don't belong. String those letters together and what do you get? - "See you in December."

We assume you'll get a first look at The Joker in a trailer for the sequel at that time. Warner Bros. has both Nicole Kidman's The Golden Compass and Will Smith's I Am Legend opening in December, to which the teaser could be attached to.

So who is behind all this? It looks to be 42 Entertainment, the company which previously created the "I Love Bees" promotion for "Halo 2" and "Year Zero" for the Nine Inch Nails album "Year Zero." The company just registered SeeYouinDecember.com yesterday, so stay tuned.

Intersting...

Apparently, the teaser will premier with thr next Harry Potter movie. Oh yeah, here's the cast, in case you haven't seen it yet

-Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne / Batman

-Heath Ledger as The Joker

-Gary Oldman as Lieutenant James Gordon

-Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent

-Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth

-Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox

-Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes

-Eric Roberts as Sal Maroni

-Nestor Carbonell as the Mayor of Gotham City

-Gamble: A villain. David Banner auditioned for the role, but has not yet been accepted

-Anthony Michael Hall in an unnamed role.

There were rumors that Harley Quinn would be in it, but they were just that...rumors.

Gamble will most likely be Joker's right hand man.

You know it only accoured to me today that I've only ever watched Batman Begins once. And that was at the cinema.

I've seen Batman and Robin more times.