TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I love the fact that both times I see the movie, someone around me said "It's Zeus!" during his scene. The 2nd time it was a kid who appeared to be maybe 10/11 years old tops, so props to him for knowing his old school wrestling.

I wouldn't recast the Joker either, since I think they did everything interesting about him in this movie, but if they do recast, they need to find someone similar to Ledger, someone who takes acting seriously. Thats why I think Johnny Depp would be good, since I can't think of a bad performance he's had.

You know, I can't picture DDL as Joker because, if my memory serves me, he's a big guy. Not fat, but tall and well-built. I always picture the Joker as somewhat tall, but scrawny, and Ledger pulled that off perfectly.

People are crazy if they actually think that the Joker will be recast for the next film.

And for the masses that are saying Johnny Depp, what's to say that he would even take the role anyways?

I don't get why fans would be pissed. They'd rather never see The Joker again than let someone else take a shot at it? Those are their only options.

Yeah, I'd much rather never see him again. I mean, what more do you need from the Joker, and why would you want something that's not going to be as good as Ledger was? It's pointless.

Okay, Ledger did a good job, but it wasn't a mind blowing "NO ACTOR CAN EVER COMPARE!!" job. Most of the reason Joker was so good was becasue of the character and his lines. His mannerisms? How much can you give Ledger credit for, and how much was Nolan's directing? He could have been telling Ledger exactly how he wants him to deliver the lines.

I think that most good actors could have pulled as good a performance out of The Joker in this movie as Ledger did.

Okay, Ledger did a good job, but it wasn't a mind blowing "NO ACTOR CAN EVER COMPARE!!" job. Most of the reason Joker was so good was becasue of the character and his lines. His mannerisms? How much can you give Ledger credit for, and how much was Nolan's directing? He could have been telling Ledger exactly how he wants him to deliver the lines.

I think that most good actors could have pulled as good a performance out of The Joker in this movie as Ledger did.

Yes, but I don't know how many other actors could just disappear into the role. Thats what I think is mind blowing about Ledger's performance, you can't even recognize him. You really feel like you are watching THE JOKER. Thats what I loved the most about The Dark Knight, that the actors just disappeared into their roles. Oldman IS Gordon, Eckhart IS Dent, Bale IS Batman. Rachel Dawes was the only character that felt like someone acting, but then again, I don't think that character is that good anyway.

Not only that, but when you see someone different playing the Joker, it's distracting. I hate recasting. It was alright for Rachel cause no one gives a crap about her, but this is the Joker we're talking about. And plus, he had his story. Batman went through hell and back to stop him. What can he do to top what he did in the 2nd movie?

Again, in any good movie the actors disappear into their roles and you forget you're watching the actor and believe in the character.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ledger, he did a great job, I just think oters could do a great job as well.

Yeah, I'm not saying I would want The Joker in the next movie... I just wouldn't see the reason to get upset if he was. It can still be a great movie, with an equally great performance if they get the right actor.

People are crazy if they actually think that the Joker will be recast for the next film.

And for the masses that are saying Johnny Depp, what's to say that he would even take the role anyways?

..and something tells me that it'd also be a walking point for the likes of Bale & Nolan if the studio were to put pressure on recasting the character. Ledger put so much work into that role that it'd almost be an insult to his performance and memory to go ahead and recast.

I also doubt Depp or Day Lewis would even accept the role. Especially Daniel Day Lewis.

..and something tells me that it'd also be a walking point for the likes of Bale & Nolan if the studio were to put pressure on recasting the character. Ledger put so much work into that role that it'd almost be an insult to his performance and memory to go ahead and recast.

I also doubt Depp or Day Lewis would even accept the role. Especially Daniel Day Lewis.

I don't think they would have a problem with re-casting if they know it's someone Heath respected and who respected his work as well. Studio pressure to do it would involve a studio "choice" like WB tends to do, which would cause them to walk. Plus for me, the Joker was always one of those characters who would do something twisted that I didn't think he could top. Then he would proceed to top it.

I think if Nolan and co can find someone they feel is right for the role and they have a story for it, the Joker will return. I just honestly don't see a reason for the Joker to return right now. You have Freeze, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman just sitting in the wings. And finding the right actor to take over that role and the pressure that comes with it so soon would be extreme.

Regarding Dent, I'd like to see what exactly is said in the novelization regarding the you know what, it could very well as be as vague as it was in the film.

If I remember correctly, it's something like "Gordon looked over the edge and saw Dent laying on the ground far below, his neck twisted at an odd angle, obvioulsy dead."

Incidently, having watched the movie againm one of my favorite scenes is when Bruce is testing the rounds, trying to recreate teh scene. IT's just pure detective work, not him beating people up.

The whole Dent storyline is becoming the film's only black eye for me. It was rushed too fast, ends with a whimper and any bit of additional cool Two-Face could have delivered in a future film was lost. Dent is the Venom of The DARK KNIGHT.

Depp won't take the Joker recast. He already took over one of Ledgers roles with "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," along with Colin Farrell and Jude Law.

Why do people want the Joker to be recasted? Ledger did an amazing job with him, why tarnish that with something that won't be anywhere near as good?

The whole Dent storyline is becoming the film's only black eye for me. It was rushed too fast, ends with a whimper and any bit of additional cool Two-Face could have delivered in a future film was lost. Dent is the Venom of The DARK KNIGHT.

I don't get this criticism. Dent's overall storyline fit in perfectly with the encompassing theme of this film and felt natural. I don't think Nolan was concerned with detracting from the film he was making to set up a more convenient sequel. This movie would have been weaker if he had done that.

And please don't compare that with the complete botch job they did with Venom. Venom was shoehorned in to SpiderMan 3 and detracted from the movie big time whereas the storyline of Harvey's fall fit right in and was a huge contribution thematically.

I don't know why people are taking the novelization of the movie to heart as far as Dent's death is concerned. Sheesh, you'd think canon was never changed for a moviescript before...

If anything, I saw Dent as the Sandman of the film. Joker is who they were pushing but at the end of the film, it's Dent's journey into Hell that told the best story in the movie. I was actually very surprised to see Two Face as I was expecting this to be his set-up movie, much like how Batman Begins was the set-up to the Joker (yes, I really believe the entire 2 hours and 20 minutes was one big awesome set up to the audience seeing the Joker card and knowing what they can look forward to).

The pencil trick still got the biggest reaction the second time I saw the movie. Two-Face's reveal got a better reaction at the second show I saw mostly due to some guy going "WOAAAHHHHHH!"

Oh yeah, when I read people talking about "the pencil trick" I was expecting Joker to do that thing where you make the pencil look like it's bending. I was disappointed with what actually happened, because I thought that would have been hilarious. "Want to see a trick?" *waves pencil around* "It's rubber!" *Stabs dude in the eye with it*

Two-Face's reveal got a better reaction at the second show I saw mostly due to some guy going "WOAAAHHHHHH!"

When Dent set on fire some dude behind me kept whispering, "Two Face! Two Face!"

That was annoying.

That's one of my favourite, yet most hated aspects, of going to the movies: listening to morons talk. Especially in the line-up. One girl was telling her friend how "Christian Bale killed himself because he had nightmares due to playing the Joker." Yeah. Okay. Not even the right actor there, sunshine.

I can understand the Two-Face/Venom comparisions, but Two-Face's character actually had substance. He was in the last 40 mins. of the movie, and they told everything you needed to know. Now look at Venom, he simply shows up at the end of the movie, is passed off as Spider-Man's evil twin and nothing more. Venom is a very complex character that could have spread through 2 other movies, one where he is a bad guy, the other where he is good. Yet, Sony decided to put him in the end of Spider-Man 3 just to make a quick buck, and now they have nothing interesting to do for a sequel, the director and cast don't want to do any more, and they need to find a writer. I think the Spider-Man series is at a dead end now.

I don't get the comparison at all. If Dent never became Two Face and did the bad stuff he did in the end...the movie has no point. Joker proves that a good man can become a monster when pushed...and the entire concept of what a hero is that the movie explores is born out of the lie that covers it all up.

How is that anything like Venom being thrown in for no reason?

I don't get the comparison at all. If Dent never became Two Face and did the bad stuff he did in the end...the movie has no point. Joker proves that a good man can become a monster when pushed...and the entire concept of what a hero is that the movie explores is born out of the lie that covers it all up.

How is that anything like Venom being thrown in for no reason?

It's not, which is why the comparison is just plain idiotic. People are just pissing and moaning that they didn't get Two-Face as one of the main villains for the entire movie. In other news, I'm really glad that said people don't make movies. I think that if you can't understand how and why the character was used this way, and the entire point behind it (what bps just posted) then you should only be allowed to watch Uwe Boll or Steven Segal movies. ;)

This is probably going to sound weird, especially with how much I complained about talkity people a few weeks ago, but there were these two women behind us last night that kept talking and it didn't bother me a bit.

They were talking very quietly, not very annoying, and it was very "reactionary" talk. Like, they were so into the movie that they just had to comment on everything they saw with either joy, surprise, or sadness. I stress again they were whispering very quietly and it wasn't a running commentary. Now, maybe if it was the 1st time I had been there I would have been hating it.

Daniel Day Lewis isn't one to do big blockbuster movies. Especially in the last decade or so. I guess Gangs of New York would be the closest to that he's made but even though it cost $100 million to make, it wasn't very commercial persay.

And besides, Daniel Day Lewis seemed really devastated by Ledger's death for some reason so I think he'd be the last guy who'd want to be his replacement.

Here's a sort of off topic fun fact- Daniel Day Lewis was one of the original choices for the lead in Cutthroat Island. It would have been interesting to see one of the worst directors of our time direct one of the best actors.