TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury?

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury

May 4, 2007

Sacha Baron Cohen will portray the Queen frontman in a forthcoming film.

Musical biopics are the latest craze: Films depicting James Brown, Jeff Buckley, Marvin Gaye, and Joey Ramone, among many others, are currently in the works. Another of particular interest has recently cast its lead role. Sacha Baron Cohen, the hirsute and comical actor from faux-doc blockbuster Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, has signed to on to portray flamboyant Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in a forthcoming yet-to-be titled film, the U.K.'s Mirror reports.

Cohen, 35, reportedly nudged out Johnny Depp for the role, which will depict Mercury's music, wild lifestyle, and untimely death in 1991 at the age of 45, due to an AIDS-related illness. "Film makers are working flat out to get the best possible script," an unidentified source told the Mirror. "Sacha loves the idea he can get away with playing Freddie after modeling Borat's look on him." But tickling our thinker is who will be cast to play the part of Queen axeman Brian May and shred out his mountainous rock solos. Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother's got the hair...

http://www.spin.com/features/news/2007/05/070504_queen/

The Mirror is a tabloid paper, right? This might be bullshit?

Yeah it is, but its one of the more reliable ones. If it was in the Sun or The Sport it proabably would hav been bullshit.

Guest Jacob Cross

Well he does look like him a little, but won't this role require a bit of dramatic acting, especially towards the end?

Guest Vitamin X

Hey, if Eric Bana and Jim Carrey could do it, I don't see why Sacha couldn't also.

He definitely looks the part more than Johnny Depp.

freddie-mercury.jpgborat.gif

Something I read once said that Cohen has the potential to be this generation's Peter Sellers, which I can see. The guy can immerse himself into a character the way few actors can. I'd like to see Cohen branch out like this.

However, I have little-to-no interest in seeing a movie about Mercury.

Something I read once said that Cohen has the potential to be this generation's Peter Sellers, which I can see. The guy can immerse himself into a character the way few actors can. I'd like to see Cohen branch out like this.

Yeah I always felt he would have been better in the Pink Panther movie over Steve Martin. People were always going to be pissy about a remake but I think he would have at least added to the character. The real question here is who's going to play Brian May.

I pretty much mirror Giuseppe Zangara's post. I'd love to see him in more films, and yet I'm not really interested in a film about Mercury. Still, I'd probably watch just for him.

I pretty much mirror Giuseppe Zangara's post. I'd love to see him in more films, and yet I'm not really interested in a film about Mercury. Still, I'd probably watch just for him.

The girl who loves gay men has no interest in a film about Freddy Mercury?

Hey, if Eric Bana and Jim Carrey could do it, I don't see why Sacha couldn't also.

I still can't picture Bana as a comedic actor...of course, I've never seen his comedy shows in Australia. I'm just used to his mostly dramatic roles here in the states.

The girl who loves gay men has no interest in a film about Freddy Mercury?

Cute. -shrug- I don't know who Mercury is, to be honest. Not that it matters. If Sascha is in the movie, I'll see irregardless.

The most I know about him he is, or rather was, the singer of Queen. Only song that comes to mind is "We are the Champions". Outside that... nothing comes to mind.

The most I know about him he is, or rather was, the singer of Queen. Only song that comes to mind is "We are the Champions". Outside that... nothing comes to mind.

Queen is a tremendous band with a variety of very different but still amazing songs. You should really check them out if you haven't.

The Jeff Buckley movie sounds more interesting. Wonder who they'd pick to play him.

A friend of mine has been saying James Franco for years.

That'd be about perfect

Queen is a tremendous band with a variety of very different but still amazing songs. You should really check them out if you haven't.

Yuna: And they're gay.

Guest Jacob Cross

If you've heard "We are the Champions" then I'm sure you've heard "We will rock you" as the two are usually played together. And I know you've heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" because who hasn't?