TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Ricky Williams Tests Postive...

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Williams was suspended last year for violation of the substance abuse policy and was eligible to be reinstated this month, but the league's medical advisors that oversee Williams' personal rehabilitation program recently notified commissioner Roger Goodell of the positive test, sources said.

The doctors also recommended that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement until September, sources said. The commissioner usually adheres to the advice of the medical advisors under the substance abuse policy.

"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab," a source said. "Based on the medical evidence in Ricky's case, the doctors say it's too early to come back. He had the positive test last month. Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like marijuana, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL would have no comment, as did Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene.

David Cornwell, an attorney who has represented Williams during his substance abuse cases, said he would honor the confidentiality policies in effect with another no comment.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2867381

It's weed... like c'mon. Do they think its going to make him run out the back field quicker? There are roided up juice monkey's running around all of professional sports, but god forbid you smoke a joint. I expect a lifetime ban from the NFL.

Guest George's Box

Well, we're dealing with Roger Goodell now, so he'll probably ban Ricky Williams for life.

Then kill him.

Well, we're dealing with Roger Goodell now, so he'll probably ban Ricky Williams for life.

Then kill him.

Then invent a time machine and go back to kill his mother before Ricky can even be born. Roger Goodell isn't messing around anymore with anyone. Well, except Michael Vick. He's really giving Michael the benefit of the doubt.

Which is good since I have no idea who the back-up quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons is. Is it DJ Shockley?

"Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like marijuana, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

It's true. I know from personal experience.

Guest George's Box

It's a legitimate disorder, but that's not a legitimate treatment.

Medically legitimate, no, but it works for some people. I don't feel the need much anymore though.

Medically legitimate, no, but it works for some people. I don't feel the need much anymore though.

For me, it was the complete opposite. When I used to get anxious and if I smoked pot, it would get even worse.

Ricky needs to come back to the CFL because as far as I know they don't test for anything. He can smoke all the weed he wants, live relatively out of the media spotlight, and still play football. He won't make the money he'd make in the NFL but I think it's safe to say that the window is all but closed for that anyway.

Yeah... If he played for the Argonauts or whatever team(s) BC has, he could play and smoke some great buds.

As for the money issue, even though there would still be a large discrepancy, I can't see many NFL teams offering him much above the league minimum at this point.

He can't play in the CFL since they've changed their rules regarding players suspended in other leagues. The Argos said they aren't planning to bring him back, anyway.