TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 5/28 - 6/3

Well, it could always be worse...I could be a Yankees fan and have my team 14.5 games back instead of only 7 games back.

Where are all the Yanks fans on this board? They've been awfully quiet lately.

Haha, A-Rod yells something to the Toronto 3B as he's attempting to field an infield fly, causing the 3B to give up on it, I guess because he thought the SS was calling him off. Classic.

Probably not. I wasn't even aware that it was in bad taste. I thought that sort of stuff was common place. Yelling out to attempt to confuse the opposition certainly happens in hockey.

Interference as defined in the official MLB rulebook.

NTERFERENCE

(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter- runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

Thats unfair because 2nd basemen always do that decoy thing where they make believe they have the ball when they don't.

Thats unfair because 2nd basemen always do that decoy thing where they make believe they have the ball when they don't.

That's legal though, as is the hidden ball trick. The rule simply covers deliberate deceptions such as those of this nature. The rule is a little vague, but MLB umpires are good at fleshing out the obvious details.

The umpires fucked up then, because A-Rod clearly yelled out something. It would have been the difference between a 5 run Yankee lead going into the bottom of the 9th, and a 2 run Yankee lead. Not an objectively game changing play, but enough to perhaps be annoyed about.

Erik Bedard should get the chance to go back out there for the 9th for his first ever career complete game (shocked at that factoid) but it is only 1-0.

8 ip 4 h 2 BB 5 ks (and he now has 88ks to lead all pitchers in the majors)

as I say that, Markakis hits a 2 run HR to make the decision to leave Bedard in a bit easier up 3-0 now.

If they win, they'll have their first 5 game winning streak in forever AND only be 1 game under .500 at 26-27..

lol..Perlozzo pulls Bedard for Chris Ray cause its a save situation at 3-0..idiot.

Jerry Narron was tossed after the 5th pitch of the game. Which makes me curious, what is the quickest ejection on a manager in a game?

Earl Weaver I believe was tossed before the second game of a doubleheader.

Well, it could always be worse...I could be a Yankees fan and have my team 14.5 games back instead of only 7 games back.

we don't post til August

:fight2:

ANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Baltimore pitcher Jamie Walker is celebrating the birth of a child whose name is certain to get plenty of attention in Detroit.

The left-handed reliever, who spent the past five years playing for the Tigers, christened his 6-pound, 14-ounce son James Leyland.

But, no, it's not in honor of Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

The lad is actually named after Jamie's dad, James Walker, and his wife Natalie's grandfather, Leyland Estes.

"They both fought in World War II and the baby was born on Memorial Day," Walker said. "We both liked the name, so we thought what the heck."

He knows everyone will assume he named his son after his former manager.

"I'll catch a lot of flack for that. But that's fine," he said. "Jim Leyland's a good man. My wife loves Jim Leyland, loves the guy to death. He's a great manager and a great guy. If people want to think we named the baby after him, let them."

The Walkers now have two boys and two girls.

Walker signed as a free agent with Baltimore after helping get the Tigers to the World Series last season. He is 1-0 with a 3.20 ERA this season.

ANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Baltimore pitcher Jamie Walker is celebrating the birth of a child whose name is certain to get plenty of attention in Detroit.

The left-handed reliever, who spent the past five years playing for the Tigers, christened his 6-pound, 14-ounce son James Leyland.

But, no, it's not in honor of Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

The lad is actually named after Jamie's dad, James Walker, and his wife Natalie's grandfather, Leyland Estes.

"They both fought in World War II and the baby was born on Memorial Day," Walker said. "We both liked the name, so we thought what the heck."

He knows everyone will assume he named his son after his former manager.

"I'll catch a lot of flack for that. But that's fine," he said. "Jim Leyland's a good man. My wife loves Jim Leyland, loves the guy to death. He's a great manager and a great guy. If people want to think we named the baby after him, let them."

The Walkers now have two boys and two girls.

Walker signed as a free agent with Baltimore after helping get the Tigers to the World Series last season. He is 1-0 with a 3.20 ERA this season.

How old was James Walker, when his son was born?

I've been at work. And there aren't many here to begin with.

A-Rod has really earned himself a reputation as perhaps the dirtiest player in baseball today and it's a shame because someone with his skills shouldn't need to resort to stuff like this. When your own manager can't even support your actions -- Joe Torre said after the game "I don't know what to feel for it" -- there's a problem there.

I figure Al might want to hear this:

Shane Victorino's father did a keynote address at my high school's athletic banquet last night (graduated a few years ago, but I'm coaching basketball there now). He's also a local politician (and a family friend, it turns out), so there's the tie-in. The best line of his address was the clowning on his younger son Shane, who before the age of 10, "was sent to the emergency room ten times, with 28 stitches and was run over and thrown from a moving car in separate incidents". He actually began to cry when someone showed him the SI issue from last week with Shane in one of the two-page action shots...obviously he had never seen it. Another note was his visit to CBP last week, where his son introduced him to all of the groundskeepers, ushers and janitors, all by name.

You can't help but root for Shane.