TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Offseason - 2007

I guess I should never be surprised by the stupidity of the NHL, but I have no clue why they'd rather move the Predators to Kansas City instead of Hamilton. I don't think Hamilton is the perfect place for the team to go (I'd put them in Winnipeg), but going to KC can't be anything more than a lateral move.

I guess I should never be surprised by the stupidity of the NHL, but I have no clue why they'd rather move the Predators to Kansas City instead of Hamilton. I don't think Hamilton is the perfect place for the team to go (I'd put them in Winnipeg), but going to KC can't be anything more than a lateral move.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Even worse is that Leopold is reportedly taking LESS money in this deal.

I was right before -- Leopold really doesn't like making money.

I mean, I can kind of understand trying to keep the team in Nashville, even though it looks pretty bad there now, it could end up being a good market (I wouldn't bet on it, though).

I just don't understand looking at the situation, at the 2 propesctive cities and deciding that Kansas City is a better idea. The only reason it's even being considered is because of the new arena, which is a great reason. Isn't that pretty much why Tampa Bay has a baseball team?

Yeah, they built the stadium to try and get a team to move, then got an expansion team because they already had the stadium. Never mind that Tampa Bay is a shitty market for baseball, probably as bad as Kansas City will be for hockey.

I think the real reason for this might just be to spite Balsillie. He's an idiot, selling season tickets for a team he doesn't own in a city where they don't even play yet.

I think the real reason for this might just be to spite Balsillie. He's an idiot, selling season tickets for a team he doesn't own in a city where they don't even play yet.

No question. I think he'd be a terrific owner, but you need get your foot in the door first. Balsillie was way too pushy to be able to do it.

Has he been completely shut out, or there still that binding agreement thing in place?

And just to ask, what do they mean by the binding agreement? That he can't move the Preds out of the city or what? I mean, I know he can still buy them out, but I don't really understand the scope other than it allows other guys to make offers.

Mark Messier, Scott Stevens, Ron Francis and Al MacInnis were voted into the Hall of Fame this afternoon.

I would have liked Gilmour to be elected, but there's such a logjam of great players now that I'm not surprised. I have no problem with any of those four being inducted.

Has he been completely shut out, or there still that binding agreement thing in place?

And just to ask, what do they mean by the binding agreement? That he can't move the Preds out of the city or what? I mean, I know he can still buy them out, but I don't really understand the scope other than it allows other guys to make offers.

I think what Leopold is doing is telling the Board of Governors not to approve Ballsillie's offer and take the guy who wants to move them to KC instead. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being pressured by Bettman, though, who really didn't seem happy about the ticket selling in Hamilton.

Yeah, I finally looked it up, and found a decent explanation of it.

Essentially, it's not locking Basille out, but it's more of a "Who Blinks First" thing. Basille doesn't want to go unless he can definitely relocate it, but he hasn't gotten any sort of confirmation. Rather than just continuing to talk, Leopold is saying "Look, I have to know you are buying, even if you can't relocate". I can definitely see Bettman pressuring him into it, but in all honesty, I've changed my mind on a team in Hamilton. I suppose hearing enough of you and even a few family members from across the border talking good of it, I suppose you might as well give it a shot, especially with an owner that looks like he'll go Balls-Out on the team.

What's not to like in that?

We have about 20 million to play with after Cammalleri gets re-signed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team give Emery an offer sheet, Stuart or Hannan signed, and Gomez or Drury signed.

They're not the only team interested in signing Emery to an offer sheet. He's going to end up making about $4.5 million next year, which makes Muckler's signing of Gerber all the more asinine.

Oh, I'm sure we're not the only ones. But we're the ones that'll probably be in the best shape of those teams after the 1st and the ones with the picks to give up. We lose our picks, it doesn't matter. We'd still have one or more left in each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Our GM says we're not in a position to make a move like that, but I don't believe him for one second. He says a lot of things won't happen and then he makes them happen. Smokescreens are ok.

For the record, the rumours here have the Bruins, Kings and Blues as the teams interested in Emery.

Also of note -- if Emery goes to arbitration, the player he'll compare himself to will likely be Rick DiPietro. Emery's numbers are better across the board. DiPietro, of course, makes an obscene amount of money. So let me send out a heartfelt FUCK YOU to Charles Wang.

Cap got raised to 50.3 mil today. Also, from some people on the Ducks board said that during the season seat selection event that Brian Burke was approached about the Leafs job...Naturally, he turned it down.

I think they wanted him for the same job they wanted Bowman for. Some made up thing to make the front office even more messed up.

You know I think there were only 10 teams pre-lock out that were over the $50 mil cap.

The NHL is painting themselves into a corner again.

You know I think there were only 10 teams pre-lock out that were over the $50 mil cap.

Yes, and there were 11 teams below the $35m minimum salary figure pre-lockout.

Heh, they should just up the cap to $60 million, then nothing really changed from before the lockout. Well, other than the fact that the poor teams are forced to spend a certain amount on player salaries. It's ok though, rich Uncle Maple Leafs and Red Wings will send generous gifts to the poor struggling kids to keep them afloat.

Every team was never supposed to be able to spend to the cap. They put it in place so that the discrepancy between the rich teams and poor teams in terms of salary would be a lot smaller. I mean before the lockout some of the richer teams were at $70+ million in terms of salary compared to some teams who were only spending around $30 million, that's a $40 million gap. With the current cap and the salary floor the gap is only around $15 million.

Every team was never supposed to be able to spend to the cap. They put it in place so that the discrepancy between the rich teams and poor teams in terms of salary would be a lot smaller. I mean before the lockout some of the richer teams were at $70+ million in terms of salary compared to some teams who were only spending around $30 million, that's a $40 million gap. With the current cap and the salary floor the gap is only around $15 million.

Don't forget the revenue sharing, where the teams that actually make money get to subsidize the small market loser teams that then go on to win Stanley Cups.

The Bruins, TSN is reporting, have acquired Manny Fernandez for a fourth-round pick and Peter Kalus. Manny went 22-16-1 last year, stopping 911 of 1000 and letting in 2.55 per game.

Max, have you seen Kalus play at all? I don't remember him suiting up for the B's at all, but his stats in Providence were pretty good: 13 goals, 17 assists in 43 games.