TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Offseason - 2007

Why? KC's not a hockey town.

I'd rather see the team move to a city that will support hockey, like Hamilton or Winnipeg. And the market is there for another Ontario team, since Leaf tickets are $ and hard to get.

I'd love to see a team back in Winnipeg or QC, but that dosn't seem to be on the table. I just don't see the need for 3 teams in Ontario plus the Sabres near by.

If there's a state or province in North America that deserves 3 teams, it's Ontario. Not California.

I hate Bettman as much as anyone, but I see no reason why Ontario should have another franchise. If the Preds move, it be mutch better for the league to try out the KC market again.
I'm not trying to preach to the choir, but the NHL has already tried out a failed market once, and it's not doing so hot. (I don't really count Minnesota, which pretty well folded because two guys had an argument). With the Canadian dollar so strong, doesn't it make sense to retry a city that would support a team, one that didn't fold due to poor attendance?

If there's a state or province in North America that deserves 3 teams, it's Ontario. Not California.

QFT. Why wouldn't you want to put teams where they would have a high chance of success, instead of insisting on putting them in places where no one will care about hockey once the initial "Hey, we've got a new team!" reaction wears off?

Guest •

Halifax is big enough for AHL hockey, if not NHL, and it's too big for junior hockey. They're somewhere between 300k and 400k greater metro, and you could also count the rest of the Nova Scotia and the other Maritimes as secondary and tertiary markets. I think there would've been a time when Halifax, along with Seattle, Milwaukee, and Hamilton, would've been feasible expansion markets, had the NHL not tried to think big picture by putting teams in Miami, Anaheim, and Tampa. Dallas and Denver would've been expansion locations had they not stolen the North Stars and Nords, resp., in lieu of dopey selections like Nashville or Columbus, Ohio.

As for Hamilton being too close to Toronto and Buffalo, I assume this wasn't a problem for the Mighty Ducks? Did they have to pay an indemnity fee to the Kings?

Halifax is big enough for AHL hockey, if not NHL, and it's too big for junior hockey.

There's no such thing as too big for junior hockey in Canada. Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton all have junior teams (Ottawa has two, if you count Gatineau), and Toronto had one until they moved to the suburbs this offseason.

AHL is about Halifax's speed when it comes to professional hockey.

Guest •

Toronto proper is probably too big for major-junior and minor-league hockey, seeing as the Roadrunners, Majors, and Marlies all failed. I think Montreal's team moved to Charlottetown.

Nope, the Bulldogs are still affiliated with Montreal and are still in Hamilton.

The Marlies play at the Ricoh Centre in Toronto. Ten minutes away from the ACC (at 3 am in the morning).

I love to have a team in Halifax. They would have a great market, and you have Dartmouth, Sydney Moncton and St. John in close proximity.

AHL sounds about right. Let's say, with surrounding and nearby cities, oh, 600,000 fans could realistically attend. That's still fairly small to support an NHL team. Enthusiasm and/or loyalty would certainly not be an issue, anyone remember the 2005 Juniors?

EDIT: Evidently, I don't, as they were in North Dakota. What year'd Halifax have em? 2003?

I think it was 2003. But yeah, like you mentioned there just isn't a big enough population to support an NHL team in the maritimes.

The Senators avoided arbitration with Ray Emery and signed him for $9.5 million over 3 years. It's a bit of a relief, considering I figured he'd be making at least $4 million per. I find it funny, though, that he's STILL not the highest-paid goalie on the team.

How much does Gerber make? "Too much" is an acceptable answer, but it's doesn't make sense that it's not Emery. 3.17 mil a year is a great deal for the Sens, I too thought he'd pull in a little higher, maybe 3.75 or 4.

How much does Gerber make? "Too much" is an acceptable answer, but it's doesn't make sense that it's not Emery. 3.17 mil a year is a great deal for the Sens, I too thought he'd pull in a little higher, maybe 3.75 or 4.

I think Gerber is around 3.5 mil.

When I saw what Lundqvist got, I was sure Emery was going to be over 4 mil, especially since DiPietro is also making 4.5 mil.

Good deal by the Sens and Emery. Your not overpaying the guy, but your not exactly short-changning him either.

Also, does anyone have a list of the Arbitration dates that are coming up? Or have they been announced?

Yeah, I heard about that. Eric spent the night in Jail and Jordan got charged for underage drinking

Sounds like a hell of a party

Martin Gelinas signed a one year contract worth 1.2 mil with the Nashville Predators.

The Edmonton Oilers have made an offer to RFA Ducks forward, Dustin Penner worth 21.5 mil over five years.

Martin Gelinas signed a one year contract worth 1.2 mil with the Nashville Predators.

The Edmonton Oilers have made an offer to RFA Ducks forward, Dustin Penner worth 21.5 mil over five years.

Please Ducks, let him go. Instead of paying one guy, we can have 3 draft picks.

The Sabres avoid arbitration by giving Derek Roy a well-earned raise, 24 mil over 4 years, up from $637,000 last year. 65 points in 75 games last season, including 21 goals. And that's playing on the third line.

Please Ducks, let him go. Instead of paying one guy, we can have 3 draft picks.

Not only that, it sets a precedent for Perry and Getzlaf to demand more than they're worth right now and if Burke can sign them next year for a bit cheaper I'm for it.

Taker, you know about the Ducks used equipment sale tomorrow in Anaheim right?