TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

The new AFI Top 100, coming June 20th on CBS

They dropped off Close Encounters...yet kept Deer Hunter :-(

Great, give away the ending to Kane

I think 66 years more than exceeds the statute of limitations.

Some 10 year old budding film geek is going to go through life knowing what Rosebud is, who Mrs. Bates really is and who Luke's father is before actually seeing the films, I just find that sad is all.

I don't think they gave away the Psycho ending, and really, I knew the 'spoilers' for all those movies before I saw them and I still enjoyed them.

No, this list didn't actually give away Pyscho and Empire, I'm just complaining about the fact that in today's culture these films have and their twists have been given away, it's so hard to go into a film, especially an older one these days completely clean.

On previous specials they gave away the ending to pretty much every movie.

In general, the list was pretty much as expected. My biggest surprises were Dr. Zhivago dropping off the list completely, City Lights going up to #11, Raging Bull knocking Gone With The Wind out of the Top 5, and On the Waterfront dropping out of the Top 10. Lawrence of Arabia remains my favourite movie, but I won't argue with Citizen Kane being #1 again.

I'm shocked no one mentioned that they apparently lumped all the LOTR's together.

I'm not surprised. It is essentially one film. It would be really difficult to rate them individually. At least with other trilogies like Star Wars each act tells an individual story.

They said it was Fellowship of the Ring I believe

Officially, yes. But we all know they really meant the whole thing.

I think with Star Wars they also basically meant the whole trilogy, since most people consider Empire to be the far superior film anyway

Perhaps, but they seemed to be more specifically talking about the first one in that case. In fact, I'm one of the few who agree on the Net. As much as I like ESB, I consider ANH to be the best (and certainly the most self-contained) of the three.

Ben Hur had the biggest fall of any movie to remain on the top 100

The African Queen dropped further from #17 to #65. Ben-Hur went from #72 to #100.

What the hell was controversial about the last one?

It's a list. People always get pissed about lists. Wasn't a big deal made about the lack of recent movies (something that didn't change)? You can't please a large group of people with a list. It's impossible. Someone might honestly believe Citizen Kane is the greatest movie ever and someone else might think it's over rated glorified garbage. Personally, I felt Shawshank should be ranked much higher and I honestly believe that if another list is produced in 2017, it'll be even higher.

Okay I watched this entire show and now will comment on all the movies listed and whether I agree or disagree with the placement.

100. Ben-Hur: Neither agree or disagree, it's fine being on here somewhere. That said the silent movie is better.

99. Toy Story: Basically invented a new style of animation, so yeah it deserves a nod.

98. Yankee Doodle Dandy: How sad is it none of Cagney's REAL shit is on here but this is?

97. Blade Runner: Trend setting, but I'm not sure I'd put this on here since I'm not sure which version is being judged.

96. Do The Right Thing: They probably just put this on here so that Spike Lee could be on the show.

95. Last Picture Show: Eh, this is probably worth being on here in some form.

94. Pulp Fiction: I am shocked that this didn't move up into the top 50.

93. The French Connection: Quite good but the ending is bizarre and some might not find Popeye very sympathetic.

92. Goodfellas: I'm stunned that this didn't rise any higher, especially considering that most people say this is Scorsese's best film.

91. Sophie's Choice: This has zero place being on the list. There are hundreds of better movies. At best a *** movie.

90. Swing Time: Not saying it shouldn't be here, but Top Hat is the best A & R movie.

89. The Sixth Sense: What a fucking joke. Everyone should be ashamed of themselves for putting this on here.

88. Bringing Up Baby: His Girl Friday should be on here instead. B.U.B. has always kinda annoyed me.

87. 12 Angry Men: I actually thought this might be higher.

86. Platoon: To me this is the best Vietnam movie, not Apocalypse Now or Deer Hunter. Should be higher.

85. A Night at the Opera: Gotta have 2 Marx movies on the list and this is the first.

84. Easy Rider: This list has a disturbing amount of 60s stuff that doesn't hold up. No excuse for this being on here in this day and age.

83. Titanic: Honestly I'm shocked this made the list at all.

82. Sunrise: Little surprised this made the list, but more in a good way I guess.

81. Spartacus: I know it's a Kubrick movie, but is it REALLY worthy of being here?

80. The Apartment: About right for this one. Maybe not as great as it once was considered though.

79. The Wild Bunch: I might put Ride the High Country on the list too from Peckinpah.

78. Modern Times: Preachy Chaplin feature, it has some awesome moments but the 2nd half is the maudlin crap that hurts most of his feature length movies.

77. All The President's Men: I guess this is okay being here.

76. Forrest Gump: Some love it, some hate it. I guess it can be here, but let's not get carried away in the future.

75. In The Heat Of The Night: 60s stuff that doesn't hold up. If this was made today, would anyone care?

74. The Silence Of The Lambs: I thought this might be higher, and in the future it likely will be.

73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: A fun movie, but hardly anything that should be on a top 100 list. More overrated 60s crap.

72. The Shawshank Redemption: I'm fine with it being here, glad it wasn't TOO high though.

71. Saving Private Ryan: This is a nod to Spielberg, but frankly the entire midsection is boring as hell.

70. A Clockwork Orange: Is this even an American movie? It seems more British to me.

69. Tootsie: No way. Hoffman isn't convincing at all in drag. He just seems like a man in drag, never an actual woman.

68. Unforgiven: Yeah boy. My pick for best film of the 1990s actually.

67. Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?: More overhyped 60s stuff, nowhere near as shocking as it was at the time.

66. Raiders Of The Lost Ark: I pose the question...how can this be on the list when Last Crusade is better?

65. The African Queen: Again, isn't this British? There's better Bogey stuff out there. Why no Big Sleep?

64. Network: Probably should be here, but truth be told I find the non Howard Beale stuff in the movie a bit tedious.

63. Cabaret: I've actually never seen it, so I can't comment.

62. American Graffiti: I suppose this deserves a mention. Whatever happened to Paul Le Mat?

61. Sullivan's Travels: The only Sturges film on the list. Joel McCrea baby!

60. Duck Soup: Glad to see this moved up. I bet I know the entire movie by heart.

59. Nashville: This is fine where it is. Perhaps too polarizing to really move up higher.

58. The Gold Rush: Besides the eating of shoes and the dinner roll dancing, there isn't THAT much here.

57. Rocky: I like Rocky as well as anyone, but is it truly a top 100 movie?

56. Jaws: I haven't taken this seriously since I saw it with my grandpa in 1990 and he laughed his ass off at it.

55. North By Northwest: I'd put this even higher. One of Hitchcock's best.

54. M*A*S*H: Probably should be here, this sounds about right.

53. The Deer Hunter: Very overrated. The Nam scenes are still chilling, but the U.S. scenes are dullsville.

52. Taxi Driver: One of Scorsese's best. It might move up a bit higher in the future.

51. West Side Story: I hate this movie. I know it has to be here, but I still think it blows.

50. The Lord Of The Rings: How did they determine FOTR and not ROTK? Cause ROTK won Best Picture.

49. Intolerance: I notice they took out Birth of a Nation and put this in. Had to have the token Griffith.

48. Rear Window: This is just about the right placement.

47. A Streetcar Named Desire: Just about right for this one. Ironic really that this was Brando's coming out party and everyone else won the Oscars and he didn't.

46. It Happened One Night: Very good, but there are dozens of romantic comedies from the 30s about as good.

45. Shane: It needed Randolph Scott instead of Alan Ladd. About right otherwise.

44. The Philadelphia Story: Love this one, I might even put it higher.

43. Midnight Cowboy: About right for this one I guess.

42. Bonnie and Clyde: Again, another 60s movie that at the time shocked people, but now not so much.

41. King Kong: Had to be there, still a great thrill ride.

40. The Sound Of Music: Can anyone seriously defend this aside from it being really, really popular?

39. Dr. Strangelove: I'm surprised this went down.

38. The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre: Probably deserving of being here, but not quite so high.

37. The Best Years Of Our Lives: Just about right for this one. And by the way, it's Dana Andrews that carries it.

36. The Bridge on the River Kawi: Took quite the tumble, though Zhivago didn't make the list at all.

35. Annie Hall: Probably deserves a placement, but why is it better than any number of Allen's 1970-80 output?

34. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs: Had to have a token early Disney movie, this being the first.

33. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: Sounds about right, swept all the awards that year.

32. The Godfather Part II: Why is this the only sequel on the list, and also 30 spots below the original when it's considered as good or better?

31. The Maltese Falcon: No argument really, but I really don't find it a huge amount better than the 1931 original.

30. Apocalypse Now: Are they rating the theatrical version or the Redux?

29. Double Indemnity: About right really but there are a dozen noirs in the 40s just as good.

28. All About Eve: You know it's odd but I have never sat down and watched this all the way through.

27. High Noon: Most overrated movie in the top 50. If anyone cares to know why I feel this way, feel free to ask.

26. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington: Should have made the top 25.

25. To Kill a Mockingbird: Is this REALLY that good? Personally I think it's a fairly bleh adaptation of an amazing book.

24. E.T: I saw this at the 2002 reissue and thought it sucked ass in the cold light of day. But then I wasn't a kid anymore.

23. Grapes Of Wrath: I can see this being high on the list, but there's something about it I've never cared for. Just find some parts of it...hokey?

22. Some Like It Hot: Some movies are just going to be highly ranked. I don't know if it's really this good, but any movie with Joe E. Brown in a major role can't be all bad.

21. Chinatown: A question to ponder here. Should a movie that is an homage to 40s noir/detective movies be ranked higher than those actual 40s movies? Again...no Big Sleep on the list?

20. It's a Wonderful Life: Took a bit of a drop. Could it be some are rethinking the message of this movie?

19. On The Waterfront: Another film that took a dive, but really it was a bit overrated in the last poll.

18. The General: Surprised to see this so highly ranked. In fact it probably shouldn't be THIS high.

17. The Graduate: Of all the overrated 60s movies on the list, this is the most overrated. Glad it fell a bit.

16. Sunset Blvd: A very famous film and I have to wonder why Gloria Swanson didn't do much in talkies considering she's got a great voice and presence.

15. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I don't even know how to rate this movie, haha. The cool stuff in it is still cool, but the entire portion with Dr. Floyd is sleep inducing in its boredom.

14. Psycho: To me this is Hitckcock's best film. I can't believe Vertigo is higher.

13. Star Wars: They just can't bring themselves to put this in the top 10. Can't say I blame them since to me it's the weakest of the original trilogy.

12. The Searchers: This jumped big time, but why no other Wayne movies on the list?

11. City Lights: I can see this being #11 about 30 years ago, but now? How did it rise so much?

10. The Wizard Of Oz: This one is obvious, it had to be top 10.

9. Vertigo: This should not be so high, since damn near all the other Hitchcock stuff on the list is more entertaining.

8. Schindler's List: I won't argue the placement, but quite honestly I don't find myself wanting to see this more than maybe two times.

7. Lawrence Of Arabia: I guess it's considered Lean's best film, though I might say River Kwai.

6. Gone With The Wind: How the mighty have fallen...GWTW now outside the top 5. Blasphemy.

5. Singin' In The Rain: Aren't they getting a bit carried away here? The Broadway Melody number alone drags this movie down to where I wouldn't put it in the top 10. Shouldn't Gold Diggers of 1933 or some Berkeley movie be in the top 100 somewhere?

4. Raging Bull: This is way too high. Like Duane Allman at #2 on a guitarist list level high. Goodfellas and Taxi Driver are both better in my book.

3. Casablanca: This one is obvious, had to be in the top 5.

2. The Godfather: I wonder how this is 30 spots higher than part 2. Much like Star Wars and LOTR, it's odd seeing this so high when it's not even the best film in its own series.

1. Citizen Kane: I could go on a rant about this, but I'd be wasting my breath.

What the hell was controversial about the last one?

It's a list. People always get pissed about lists. Wasn't a big deal made about the lack of recent movies (something that didn't change)? You can't please a large group of people with a list. It's impossible. Someone might honestly believe Citizen Kane is the greatest movie ever and someone else might think it's over rated glorified garbage. Personally, I felt Shawshank should be ranked much higher and I honestly believe that if another list is produced in 2017, it'll be even higher.

If another list is done in 10 years, it'll have a bunch of old movies and a movie from 2015 and 2009 so people don't catch on that the list is made by a bunch of old men with semi-soft boners for the 'classics.'

I think with Star Wars they also basically meant the whole trilogy, since most people consider Empire to be the far superior film anyway

Perhaps, but they seemed to be more specifically talking about the first one in that case. In fact, I'm one of the few who agree on the Net. As much as I like ESB, I consider ANH to be the best (and certainly the most self-contained) of the three.

I think it was meant to be self-contained, as I don't think it was even called "Episode IV" until much later. ESB was made to flow into ROTJ, whether anyone likes it or not. And I *love* ESB.

...and All About Eve got MASSACRED, falling from number 12 to not even being mentioned.

I think the main reason they revisited this list was just to fix the "problems" that certain AFI members/important movie people must have had with the last one. How else can you explain "The Searchers" jumping EIGHTY FOUR spots, from #96 to #12? Has John Wayne become THAT much of an icon in the last 10 years, or was Martin Scorsese pissed that it was near the bottom or something? Several in the top 20 were weird. "The General", which wasn't even on the list last time, was suddenly #18. "City Lights" moved from #76 to #11. I'm really not arguing with their placements this time around, but I find it hard to understand what these films, that are all over 50 years old, could have done in the last 10 years to warrant such a jump--unless some higher ups demanded it. I read the press release about all of this that just posted, and they credited DVD for increasing awareness of these films, thus explaining their higher number this time. Yeah, I'm sure that $7.99 copy of "The Searchers" has constantly been sold out everywhere since 2000, right? Again, I'm not disputing it's greatness (it's easily the best John Wayne movie), but just admit it should have been higher the first time around, mmkay?

I thought this was supposed to be about including films that have come out since the last list, but the highest ranking "new" film was LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, at #50. Most of the films from the last 15 years were in the bottom 50. Again, I'm not arguing really with classic old films taking up most of the top spots, but what was the REAL purpose of redoing this list? I think they just ran out of "100 Years..... 100...(insert)" ideas.

My comments on the top 10:

1: Citizen Kane--deserves to be #1 forever. I was scared to death that something would move up 75 spots and overtake it, but nope. Whew.

2: The Godfather: #3 last time. I personally feel it should be #2, as it has been more culturally signifigant than Casablanca in the last 20 years or so.

3: Casablanca: Anywhere in the top 3, fine. Below that, blasphemy. So, I'm happy.

4: Raging Bull: Give me a break. A great film, but not a top 5, nor even a TOP TEN selection. Better between 11-15 or so.

5: Singin' in the Rain: They really seemed to have a hard-on for dance/musicals and silent films this time around. A top 10, but not top 5.

6: Gone With the Wind: Surprised this fell 2 spots. Again, putting this below Raging Bull is a joke.

7: Lawrence of Arabia: Also dropped 2 spots. Like GWTW, I think it hasn't been as culturally popular as the top 4 or 5 lately.

8: Schindler's List: I think this is just showing love to Spielberg. A great film, top 20 for sure, but not groundbreaking enough for the top 10.

9: Vertigo: One of the reasons they re-did this list, to put this in the top 10. I don't know why. Top 25 for sure, but if any Hitchcock film deserves a top 10 nod, it's "Psycho".

10: The Wizard of Oz: SHOCKED this would be put below "Schindler's List", "Vertigo", and "Raging Bull". I think it was just a victim of the desire to shake up the top 10.

My personal top 10:

1: Citizen Kane

2: The Godfather

3: Casablanca

4: The Wizard of Oz

5: Gone With the Wind

6: Lawrence of Arabia

7: On the Waterfront

8: Singin' in the Rain

9: E.T: The Extra Terrestrial

10: Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

My Personal FAVORITE Top 10:

1: Back to the Future

2: Citizen Kane

3: Pulp Fiction

4: The Godfather

5: American Beauty

6: 12 Angry Men

7: The Wizard of Oz

8: On the Waterfront

9: Pinocchio

10: Terminator 2: Judgment Day

....and that's just going by AMERICAN movies. If you want to include foreign films, it's a completely different list.

I think it was meant to be self-contained, as I don't think it was even called "Episode IV" until much later. ESB was made to flow into ROTJ, whether anyone likes it or not. And I *love* ESB.

...and All About Eve got MASSACRED, falling from number 12 to not even being mentioned.

All About Eve was #28 this time, falling 12 spots from #16.

If I'm being objective and not just picking my favourites, I would go with a top ten of:

1. Citizen Kane

2. The Godfather

3. Casablanca

4. Gone with the Wind

5. Lawrence of Arabia

6. Star Wars

7. Singing in the Rain

8. Its A Wonderful Life

9. The Wizard of Oz

10. 2001: A Space Odyssey

The best decade for film is the 1960s, followed closely by the 1970s and the 1940s.

I don't have a lot I want to say about this right now, other than I think it's complete and total bullshit that they replaced The Birth of a Nation with Intolerance. I agree that Intolerance is a silent masterpiece and it is indeed worthy of being on this list, but we all know why they replaced The Birth of a Nation with it. If Intolerance was D.W. Griffith's response to the critism of TBoaN, his attempt to make up for all of that, Then the AFI's replacement of TBoaN with Intolerance is they're attempt at being PC. If that wasn't their reason, then whey not replace TBoaN with Broken Blossoms instead? Not that I think TBoaN should have been removed from the list at all though. There's no good reason for that film to be removed from the list, none. There's only a handful of films that have really changed the film industry, really changed it, and TBoaN is the first of that small group.

All About Eve was #28 this time, falling 12 spots from #16.

wow, i'm blind. I didn't notice it during the broadcast for some reason, and i read the final list like five times.

I'm not going to argue about The Searchers and its placement, but is it really by far the best John Wayne movie? It's not necessarily my favorite, since if I had the choice of what to watch on a deserted island I'd watch either She Wore a Yellow Ribbon or Red River instead. I'd also watch The Quiet Man over Searchers.

Vertigo is a bit overrated, but that's just my opinion. As far as Hitchcock movies go, I'd much rather watch Psycho, North By Northwest, Rear Window, 39 Steps, Lady Vanishes (those two are British and thus not on the list), Foreign Correspondent, Strangers on a Train.

Incidentally why wasn't Strangers on a Train on the list at all? Lack of big name stars?